Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
There were 500 separate languages spoken in what is currently the United States before an English word was ever spoken on this land. Spanish was spoken in the US before English as well. If your tired of diversity then maybe you should return to the country of your ancestors because this country is all about diversity. And people probably said the same things about your ancestors when they first arrived here as you are saying now. It wasn't right then and it isn't right now.

Yes! Bravo! It sickens me to core that people feel that some people are so offended by other languages.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Say what you want, but this is how I feel. I think it's ignorant for people to come to this country and not learn our customs and learn English. I'm sorry, I just do not like it. What you're referring to happened many years before this country was formed. If I returned to the countries that my ancestors were from, you'd better believe that I would learn either German, Italian or Polish. I don't like going someplace and having to try and identify where these people are from and what language they are speaking and I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's time to take back our country and I don't mean just from foreigners. I mean from all scum, no matter what color or race that you are.

I wonder....do YOU know any other languages? How quickly would you be able to learn another language to use it in every day conversation? Would you not still use English with your own family and friends since that is your native language?

And why do you feel the need to guess *anything* about other people? Really, it's none of your business where they are from. Why does it worry you so and how does one's speaking their native language apply to crime in Scranton?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I'm sick of it too, when i go to the laundramat, i think i'm in Mexico, all of their kids are running wild, they don't say anything to them. It gets to be a little much and it is going to get worse, i can't get out of this city soon enough, i only wish it was sooner.
Yeah because us lily whites NEVER let our kids run wild. Whatever...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:58 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,443,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
While I do blame the mayor for his actions regarding public safety I do not blame him for gangs. A community must stay strong and not give in...if gangs are made to feel uncomfortable ( get to much "heat") they can not estblish a strong foot hold in an area.

Parents need to be proactive, and stay on top of the school board! Scranton is a small city, people talk...let them talk about what is going on in their neighborhoods, the schools, playgrounds...most Scranton Police officers live within the city...it will be effecting their children too...so talk talk talk...an informed public is always the best defense! Apply pressure to city council DO ANYTHING BUT WALK AWAY!

I speak from expierence, my former home town was a sleep at the wheel and the next thing you knew...we had gangs in the high school because we were all caught with our pants down...involved in our own day to day lives and were not proactive.
You are right about making gangs uncomfortable/turning up the heat. We had a crack house next door...hundreds of cars per day...everyone but "us" was afraid; we had to put up security cameras. These people(20 plus) would "guard" the house day and night and they blasted music with impunity.

Calling the cops did little..I talked with the gang unit...about pressure...the thugs would always block our dead end street and block the fire hydrant. I would call the cops to turn up the heat. Our cameras showed them driving by and DOING NOTHING...they barely squeezed past their auto.

Finally 2 months later the thugs move out in the middle of the night. Than the cops come to our house...asking for video; now they acknowledge it's a crack house?????Our video did not show faces clear enough...so it was of no use. The rest of our neighbors never backed us up.

Than our house got hit with 3 bullets.....and long story short the neighbors who were home(we were working) said they did not hear a gunshot because they had ordered a pizza....whatever that means??? Florida and it's people are, in general, not very nice or neighborly.

So please stay viligante; if you know something is going on; do something...before it's too late.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
You are right about making gangs uncomfortable/turning up the heat. We had a crack house next door...hundreds of cars per day...everyone but "us" was afraid; we had to put up security cameras. These people(20 plus) would "guard" the house day and night and they blasted music with impunity.

Calling the cops did little..I talked with the gang unit...about pressure...the thugs would always block our dead end street and block the fire hydrant. I would call the cops to turn up the heat. Our cameras showed them driving by and DOING NOTHING...they barely squeezed past their auto.

Finally 2 months later the thugs move out in the middle of the night. Than the cops come to our house...asking for video; now they acknowledge it's a crack house?????Our video did not show faces clear enough...so it was of no use. The rest of our neighbors never backed us up.

Than our house got hit with 3 bullets.....and long story short the neighbors who were home(we were working) said they did not hear a gunshot because they had ordered a pizza....whatever that means??? Florida and it's people are, in general, not very nice or neighborly.

So please stay viligante; if you know something is going on; do something...before it's too late.

Ugh. Honestly, I can see this happening in WB too. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ugh. Honestly, I can see this happening in WB too. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.
Thank you...I hope "The Valley" never gets like it is here. Back home, even if you did not "like" your neighbors...they were still there for you and would backup/defend you and "the hood". Our cat or ourselves could have been hit with the bullets...but nobody cares here...very sick/sad.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,765,667 times
Quote:
Yeah because us lily whites NEVER let our kids run wild. Whatever...

No, i didn't let my kids run wild, i taught them manners and when we went to a public place, they behaved appropriately. Yea, they got out of line here and there, but i dealt with it, i didn't let them run wild in a laundramat. There is a place called parks for that, where i took the time to take them and let them run off their energy.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,765,667 times
Quote:
Yes! Bravo! It sickens me to core that people feel that some people are so offended by other languages.

I'm sick of pressing 1 for English and i'm sick of jobs hiring you at $2.50 an hour more if you speak Spanish. It's insane, these people chose to live in this country, so i would say speak English. When i lived in Germany, i didn't expect the German's to learn English, i adapted and figured it out myself. If you chose to live in another country you adapt to that country, you don't expect them to adapt to you.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Exactly. We're not racists, we're realists. Parts of the city are turning into little Havana or Mexico City. If I wanted that, I'd move there and learn Spanish. All that we ask is that they respect our country and learn English. I too, can't wait to get out of here. Not only is Doherty ruining the city, so are all of the transplants.
I agree...they should learn English...but why can't they speak their own language amongst themselves. I'm mainly Italian and my grand parents spoke Italian(at first)...learned English; but did speak in their native tongue sometimes and between themselves.

Different ethnic neighborhoods/diversity is good for a city...like Chinatown or Little Italy....cities evolve. When "The Valley" was first settled each town was a different ethnicticity....example is that Pittston was mainly Italian and Irish...other towns were Polish and so on.New ethnic groups can revive our inner valley cities.

It's is just different groups today......Like gays can revive and stabilize inner city neighborhoods...it happens all over the country. Welcome the diversity...weed out scum and criminals and Scranton will thrive again. PS...like ScranBarre says the hill section of Scranton would make a typical Gayborhood. Let each group have their space and the city will integrate into a better and more cohesive place to live.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
No, i didn't let my kids run wild, i taught them manners and when we went to a public place, they behaved appropriately. Yea, they got out of line here and there, but i dealt with it, i didn't let them run wild in a laundramat. There is a place called parks for that, where i took the time to take them and let them run off their energy.
And again...ALL white parents do this right? Come on....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania