Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I keep hearing people blaming this poor nun, Sister Adrian. Only in Scranton would the people blame a nun who dedicated her life to helping the less fortunate, for the city's crime problems. If Sister Adrian is to blame, then why is Wilkes-Barre, and even much smaller Hazleton having much worse crime issues then Scranton? We don't have a Sister Adrian bringing in trouble by the bus loads, so why do our city's have crime issues also?...*the sound of crickets*
Because Sister Adrian would bring in her poor "friends" from inner city ghettos and being them to Scranton, and help them get on all sorts of public assistance and into public housing or section 8. These people did not find a better life here and become productive members of society, they just brought ghetto problems to Scranton.

And Wilkes-Barre does have its own version of Sister Adrian and the Friends of the Poor....its called VISION.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I didn't say anythign about illegals. I don't think illegal aliens are the problem in Scranton, maybe Hazleton, but not Scranton. I think its another minority group in Scranton.

Actually, most of the hispanics I've met in Scranton have been good people.
What I am saying is that capitalism and conservative social policies have just as much to do with this mess as you want to blame the liberals for....

Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 AM

567 posts, read 1,306,217 times
i'm not going to attempt to explain how i feel again....

you cannot viably provide statistics to prove that a) more then 50% of the crimes here are committed by minorities...and b) that more then 50% of the crimes here are commited by people from NJ/NY/PHL or "whose parents were from NJ/NY/PHL" <- like it even matters.

so with that.. I'm done...

NEPA can give itself grey hairs with gang talk all they want -- im done... NEPA doesnt have a real Crime problem.. its petty stuff.. Talk to me when you have nationally acclaimed gangstershere like Al Capone or Frank Lucas or REAL criminal organizations like the Genovese....

I'll go back to living everyday without my palms sweating over gangs that dont exsist in NEPA.. and crime that barely shows its head.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post

NEPA can give itself grey hairs with gang talk all they want -- im done... NEPA doesnt have a real Crime problem.. its petty stuff.. Talk to me when you have nationally acclaimed gangstershere like Al Capone or Frank Lucas or REAL criminal organizations like the Genovese....
We do have quite a mafia history here in NEPA. But the mob doesn't bother me. I'll take them anyday over the inner-city gangs.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What I am saying is that capitalism and conservative social policies have just as much to do with this mess as you want to blame the liberals for....
No they don't...even if the economy is strong and there are lots of job opportunities around, those people who make a living sponging off the taxpayers will still be not working, living in public housing, dealing drugs, collecting welfare, etc etc.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:

I'll go back to living everyday without my palms sweating over gangs that dont exsist in NEPA.. and crime that barely shows its head.
So should we just ignore it until it is full-blown? Camden, Reading, and Youngstown...all cities about the size of Scranton....used to be nice places to live not so long ago too.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
I'll take care of this problem with The Bloods!!!... I'm joining the Crips!! I have always been quite fond of the color blue anyway.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Quote:
So should we just ignore it until it is full-blown? Camden, Reading, and Youngstown...all cities about the size of Scranton....used to be nice places to live not so long ago too.
Look, I agree that we have to keep an eye on it, but can anyone honestly say that they fear for their lives when they walk down a street anywhere in our region, are there any neighborhood's in NEPA that you may be gunned down in because it is gang turf, are there any drug gangs openly selling crack on street corners with look outs on the corners like in Philly ect. Is there routine drive by's and gang wars, and slayings taking place anywhere in NEPA on a nightly, or even weekly basis around here. I think in Wilkes-barre you are more likely to be hit by a falling streetlight then you are to be hit by gang related gun fire.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:

I think you are underestimating how different this region is now as compared to twenty years ago. Frankly, it doesn't matter what you, as someone from a bigger city with more crime problems, feel is something to worry about or not. You were not here twenty years ago. You do not have the same frame of reference and experience as those of us who have lived here for that long.

I am not doubting or negating your claims. I am sure that crime and gang activity is worse in other areas. But again that does not equate to crime not being an issue here either.

I'm not sure why you are so gung ho on claiming to be from a higher crime area than you now live in. Ok, good. You have got that title. It doesn't mean anything. The quality of life in this area has suffered as a direct result of crime and gang activity increases in this area. You cannot deny that no matter how you try.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
We do have quite a mafia history here in NEPA. But the mob doesn't bother me. I'll take them anyday over the inner-city gangs.

Ah well then you are just shooting yourself in the foot.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania