Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,440,538 times

Advertisements

I think y'all should just call it "The Pittscrantomoosicarbonanticowannabarre Valley" & be done with it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,643,066 times
That's a good one George. Love your sense of humor!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,481,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Maybe they are. Wikipedia may have planted the idea, but it's reinforced just by looking at the geography of the area. There clearly are these two long ridges that surround one long valley running all the way from C'dale to Nanticoke.

But yes, exactly, seems like there's a split between geology and colloquial/historical usage. Another old-time local told me last night that geologically, the WV is the whole thing, but locals would only ever refer to the Luzerne Cty portion as the WV. (Due to the mental Berlin Wall that has existed between the counties.)

I learned an alternate name for it, also from Wikipedia, Anthracite Valley, which the state DCNR also labels it.

Maybe I'll stick with that name for it, though Wyoming Valley has a nicer sound.
So true....anthracite valley ...I never heard of that useage...Wyoming sounds better. ...The "wall' used to be worse, the cities were competitive against one another...I think about 1970 or so the area was finally combined into one metro....which reminds me...When did Columbia and Monroe county get dropped off of our metropolitan area???

Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Exeter surrounds WP and has river front above it as well as below it.
That I need to check...Exeter is south of West Pittston; so that is why I said the northern most section is there. I never heard of Exeter, norty of West Pittston..I thought Falls was next..I could be wrong..It's been awhile since I visited..I'll check my maps.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
This whole valley was carved by glaciers, not by rivers. The Susquehanna just happens to drop into it for a run.
Technically true; but You know those glaciers have been gone thousands of years...so the River helped too. LOL.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I think y'all should just call it "The Pittscrantomoosicarbonanticowannabarre Valley" & be done with it!!
I totally agree...That will definitely put us back on the map...LOL...

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
That's a good one George. Love your sense of humor!!!
Let's put it to a public referrendum???? LOL

Old 08-22-2009, 08:03 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,940,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
When are you running for office? You get my vote! LOL

Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,439,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
That I need to check...Exeter is south of West Pittston; so that is why I said the northern most section is there. I never heard of Exeter, norty of West Pittston..I thought Falls was next..I could be wrong..It's been awhile since I visited..I'll check my maps.
My father grew up in the small part of Exeter near the river that is just up from Blue Ribbon. My sister and brother-in-law currently live in this general neighborhood of Exeter now. Within about a block or so of passing Blue Ribbon Dairy you cross into Exeter for about a mile before hitting Exeter Twp. (Harding).

Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
My father grew up in the small part of Exeter near the river that is just up from Blue Ribbon. My sister and brother-in-law currently live in this general neighborhood of Exeter now. Within about a block or so of passing Blue Ribbon Dairy you cross into Exeter for about a mile before hitting Exeter Twp. (Harding).
Do you mean going North...I forgot that their are boroughs and townships which share the same name? What do you think the Wyoming Valley encompasses as you were educated and grew up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania