Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Having also grown up in a bedroom community equidistant to both cities I can give you a generally unbiased look at each one, as I spent a great deal of time in each.

SCRANTON: Slightly influenced by Northern NJ/NYC
WILKES-BARRE: Slightly influenced by Philadelphia

SCRANTON: A large contingent of very negative residents who lack civic pride because they combine disdain for their mayor with bashing their city.
WILKES-BARRE: After years of kvetching most in Wilkes-Barre now have a "wait-and-see" attitude about their community's impending revitalization.

SCRANTON: Rather spread out and disorganized downtown.
WILKES-BARRE: Very compact, walkable, and easily identifiable downtown.

SCRANTON: Generally slightly higher housing prices and taxes.
WILKES-BARRE: Generally less expensive housing prices and taxes.

SCRANTON: A larger college population than Wilkes-Barre (Commonwealth Medical College, University of Scranton, Lackawanna College, Marywood University, Johnson College, etc.) but still not a "college town" feel.
WILKES-BARRE: Only two colleges (King's College and Wilkes University) but an increasing college town vibe.

SCRANTON: Generally low violent crime. 2009 has been an anomaly with crimes creeping up rather frequently in formerly safe neighborhoods (i.e. West Side).
WILKES-BARRE: Historically higher violent crime than Scranton, but still safer than the national average.

SCRANTON: Higher Hispanic population.
WILKES-BARRE: Higher African-American population.

SCRANTON: Polarizing mayor/city council.
WILKES-BARRE: Generally well-liked mayor/city council.

SCRANTON: More historic residential neighborhoods with impressive older, larger homes (Green Ridge, The Hill, parts of West Side)
WILKES-BARRE: More "miners' homes" neighborhoods (i.e. narrow lots, two-story white aluminum-sided homes, little or no off-street parking, many in dire need of new vinyl siding).

SCRANTON: Growing contingent of people trying to align the city as the newest exurban extension of NYC/Northern NJ.
WILKES-BARRE: Trying to reinvent itself on its own merit instead of copying/leeching off of the successes of other nearby areas.

SCRANTON: Underpaid and understaffed police department.
WILKES-BARRE: Well-equipped police department with generally high morale.

SCRANTON: More well-known on a national scale. Everyone whom I meet now in Virginia has heard of Scranton (thanks largely to "The Office").
WILKES-BARRE: Unknown, even to many IN the Commonwealth!

SCRANTON: Semi-frequent racial/cultural tensions.
WILKES-BARRE: Generally becoming more tolerant and diverse.

SCRANTON: Generally down-to-earth, good-natured residents, but as others have said there is a growing contingent of the "snoot" factor.
WILKES-BARRE: People who may not have a lot in the bank (or in some cases above the shoulders) but who are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

SCRANTON: Public investment in parks, downtown, infrastructure, etc., etc. not appreciated, perhaps due to more fiscal conservatives residing here.
WILKES-BARRE: People not only enjoy seeing progress but demand even more, perhaps due to more fiscal liberals living here.

SCRANTON: Generally average to above-average city public schools.
WILKES-BARRE: Generally average city public schools.

SCRANTON: Downtown redevelopment initiatives hitting a "plateau" with a recent rash of business closures (blamed on the mayor for some reason or other).
WILKES-BARRE: Downtown continuing to move along at an encouraging pace (residents don't blame closures on the mayor).

SCRANTON: Wasted potential on the Lackawanna Riverfront.
WILKES-BARRE: Residents now embracing Susquehanna Riverfront.

SCRANTON: 3.4% city wage tax (with people who do nothing but whine about it).
WILKES-BARRE: 3.0% city wage tax (with comparatively few whiners).

SCRANTON: More distinctive neighborhoods with small town charm throughout the city; many have independent business districts and neighborhood elementary schools.
WILKES-BARRE: The city is very compact and dense (40,000 people in an area much smaller than Scranton). There are numerous neighborhoods, but none really feel all that "independent" anymore.

SCRANTON: Higher educational attainment (managed to retain some white-collars despite "white flight")
WILKES-BARRE: Lower educational attainment (Back Mountain, home to most of Luzerne County's upper-middle-class, is now nearly as heavily populated as Wilkes-Barre).

SCRANTON: More poorly-planned and congested commercial sprawl district (Dickson City).
WILKES-BARRE: Comparatively smoothly-planned commercial sprawl district with wider, less-potholed roads (Wilkes-Barre Township).

SCRANTON: Nearer to stadium (Yankees), the airport.
WILKES-BARRE: Nearer to arena (Penguins/Pioneers)

SCRANTON: VERY poorly rated snow removal in the winter.
WILKES-BARRE: Below-average rated snow removal in the winter.

SCRANTON: Many residents hate college students (jealousy due to their own lack of degrees?)
WILKES-BARRE: Many residents (and increasingly business owners) are being more inviting to college students; some even now accept "King's Cash."

SCRANTON: Less nighttime foot traffic overall.
WILKES-BARRE: Very dense nighttime foot traffic on weekends only in two-block area of South Main Street (between Public Square and the theater).
GOOD COMPARISON SB---grew up one half mile from your home---only area i would buy in-----but renting in kingston cause it's flat--no snow driving on hills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 AM

79 posts, read 295,750 times
I appreciate everyones help!! We definitely do not want to live IN Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, but are trying to figure out which is better to be closer to, and which offers better towns on the outskirts.. We own our own web design business, so we can go anywhere. I'm trying to do so much research before my fiance leaves on friday so I can steer him in the right direction.. I really like Clarks Summit and Pittston so far, anyone have any other ideas on good outskirt towns? I need good schools and want to have shopping near me. You guys are great!! Pictures are awesome too, thanks ScranBarre!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillzilla View Post
I really like Clarks Summit and Pittston so far, anyone have any other ideas on good outskirt towns? !
I wouldn't recommend Pittston.....the city of Pittston is probably worse than Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. West Pittston and Pittston Township are OK though.

Try looking in the Mid-Valley...just north of Scranton...all of towns from Dickson City to Archbald. Convenient to shopping, good schools, and lower housing prices than Clarks Summit. Clarks Summit is nice, but overpriced.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 AM

331 posts, read 639,799 times
I've heard bad reviews of Mid-Valley schools, both from parents and former students. Also, Dickson City and the like have the miner homes of WB.. UGLY.

West Pittston is nice, as is Clarks Summit. Both are near enough to shopping. I don't know what Pittston schools are like, but Abington is pretty good for CS.

How far away from shopping is too far? What is your driving radius in minutes that you're willing to go?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM

I don't mind a short drive, I just don't want the nearest grocery store to be 30 minutes from my home. I'd like to have local shopping such as a bank, grocery store, drugstore, that kind of thing nearby.. Pretty scenery views is a plus too! I'm also looking to rent for the first year and have been looking at apartment communities, but I need to pick an area first.. it's all making my head spin!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I've heard bad reviews of Mid-Valley schools, both from parents and former students. Also, Dickson City and the like have the miner homes of WB.. UGLY.

I've heard good reviews of Mid-Valley schools...I know quite a few MV alumni that have done well for themselves in life and have no complaints about their education. I'm OK with "miner homes," they were built better than the particle-board crap they build these days, and will probably still be standing long after today's houses fall into the ground.

I think pretty much every school in this area is a good school...we don't have troubled schools like Philly or Harrisburg. Sure, the test scores may vary, but I think that's more a product of demographics than it is quality of teaching. Sure, the kids in Abington may have higher test scores, but most of them are the kids of doctors, CEOs, etc. My kids are in Scranton schools and I have no complaints.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I've heard good reviews of Mid-Valley schools...I know quite a few MV alumni that have done well for themselves in life and have no complaints about their education. I'm OK with "miner homes," they were built better than the particle-board crap they build these days, and will probably still be standing long after today's houses fall into the ground.

I think pretty much every school in this area is a good school...we don't have troubled schools like Philly or Harrisburg. Sure, the test scores may vary, but I think that's more a product of demographics than it is quality of teaching. Sure, the kids in Abington may have higher test scores, but most of them are the kids of doctors, CEOs, etc. My kids are in Scranton schools and I have no complaints.

I totally agree about the houses and the schools. When we buy, we will be buying an existing home built in the 20s-50s. Those houses are *much* better quality than what I see in developments....

Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 AM

567 posts, read 1,306,217 times
Quote:
I don't mind a short drive, I just don't want the nearest grocery store to be 30 minutes from my home. I'd like to have local shopping such as a bank, grocery store, drugstore, that kind of thing nearby.. Pretty scenery views is a plus too! I'm also looking to rent for the first year and have been looking at apartment communities, but I need to pick an area first.. it's all making my head spin!
stay away from apartment communities.. they grossly overcharge you to live here.... look on craigslist, trust me.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM

My problem with craigslist is I am moving from Florida on November 1. I need to have steady housing when I leave.. I'm afraid of flaky landlords. I can't really afford to have anything go wrong. I figure with an apartment community I can book a place now for Nov 1 and not have to worry.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times
Quote:
My problem with craigslist is I am moving from Florida on November 1. I need to have steady housing when I leave.. I'm afraid of flaky landlords. I can't really afford to have anything go wrong. I figure with an apartment community I can book a place now for Nov 1 and not have to worry.

it's wise to be leery of landlords up here--even the seemingly nice ones act like slumlords when a problem occurs that may require them spending money-----for example--i'm battling mice and a chain smoking next door tenant after the ll assured me there is no smoking here and he would take care of major problems(no smoking,rodent control not in lease----make sure yours states everything you want)
NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM IN FLA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania