Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 19,055 times

Advertisements

Did you ever consider that Dan was right? And now your blinders are off - even a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:47 PM

75 posts, read 154,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What the hell has happened to my formerly-beloved Scranton? Up until 2008 or so it was a model American city and well on its way to becoming a "Rust Belt Rebounder." Now it has fallen over the edge---becoming a low-income ghetto infested with violent crime! From what I've been reading daily during my lunch breaks at work of the crime incidents being reported in the Times-Tribune I don't even know if I'd feel safe meandering off the beaten path when I'm in town for La Festa Italiana next weekend! Meanwhile Wilkes-Barre continues to clean up its act. Perhaps the Diamond City scattered the roaches up to the Electric City?
Sister Sneakers Adrian and the Mayor...thats what happened.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Does Scranton have a chapter of the Guardian Angels? It isn't the answer to these problems, but it is like having a free team of security guards roaming the streets. I think it is better to have them, then not to have them. In Wilkes-Barre, they are out just about everynight patroling the downtown, especially on the weekends. Like I said, they are not a police force, but they are an extra set of eyes and ears.

The Guardian Angels rock, they need them in Scranton, they should come.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
I think Scranton, just like Wilkes-Barre and (later) Hazleton, is starting to get a taste of what we in W-B and Hazleton, and The Lehigh Valley have been experiencing for many years. I think Scranton has been "the lone holdout" for the longest time, but just like our other area cities, it too is starting to subcomb to the out of town thuggery that has invaded our cities, and the violent crime that comes along with it. All the police in the world, and the best mayor on Earth cannot prevent this from happening. Unless you can put up a wall around your entire city and prevent these undesirables from moving in, but that is neither legal or doable, then I'm afraid it is only gonna get worse. Crime in general, whether local or imported, is much worse, and much more violent then it ever was before. People that used to settle disputes with harse words or fist' (at the worst) now don't hesitate to pull a gun and shoot you, and usually over something very minor and stupid. A lady one block down the street from me in W-B was stabbed to death earlier this year over a welfare "Access Card". Yes, someones life was taken, over a dispute about an Access Card....that's just one of many examples! People don't think about the consequences of thier actions anymore. Do you realize that you will probably spend the rest of your life in prison because you killed someone over an Access Card during an argument? Was it worth it? I just don't understand this animal like behaviour.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
No they have not. And more: several yrs ago, a street in lower Tripps Park had 5 cars set on fire, one each night for 5 nights. This happened in the middle of the night. Just..WHOOOOOSH....and the cars were on fire. Fire trucks came; fires were put out. Tow trucks came; cars were towed. And none of THAT every hit the paper OR the media news at all. Why was THAT squashed? And WHO squashed it???
Nothing surprises me. They made formal announcements to the students at the Universtiy but nothing to the public.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCoach View Post
Did you ever consider that Dan was right? And now your blinders are off - even a little.
So all hope is lost for the city, and it's sinking faster than the Titanic? Why don't all of the people living there just MOVE OUT ALREADY and surrender the city to the low-class scum that are moving in then?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 PM

154 posts, read 407,758 times
Quote:
So all hope is lost for the city, and it's sinking faster than the Titanic? Why don't all of the people living there just MOVE OUT ALREADY and surrender the city to the low-class scum that are moving in then?
I think this is happening. You can barely drive a block in Scranton without seeing a house(s) for sale. Sadly, some of them (single-family, beautiful homes) will NEVER get their asking prices; sadly too, lots of them will be converted into low-income rentals, catering to what some of you call (and I agree) the Thuggery element. When I moved here, 25 yrs ago, and raised my family, the neighborhoods (except for specific parts of The Hill Section) were mostly safe. We could run down the street to Gerrity's or Brunetti's and leave our house doors unlocked. We could go to bed and leave our downstairs windows open. And we could start our cars in the winter (without a remote, of course)and not worry about someone driving away with it. I absolutely realize this stuff happens most everywhere. I have read the stories about people moving out to the country--and THEN getting robbed. I know lots of people, nice people, from The Cities (NYC, Phillie, etc), who moved here because it's safer than "there"--and they laugh when I worry about these things. They say: "Not for nothin', but you guys got NOTHIN' when it comes to crime. We've been gettin' mugged since I was a little kid." Still and all, I, a Scrantonian (the little "big city") shouldn't have to worry about my 19 yr old daughter taking a twilight bike ride or stroll around the neighborhood. But I do, and it's a justified worry.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
I believe the city is sinking too fast to save it. A lot of people do want out, the FOR SALE signs in every neighborhood proves that point. The problem is obviously, the local government and the influx of people from other areas has not been a good class. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity to get the heck out, thank God I do not own a home here, I wouldn't get a good price for it anyway and it would take months, maybe years to sell.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 PM

273 posts, read 957,196 times
There are a lot of houses for sale in most cities these days. It is a bad real estate market in a bad economy. NEPA is just catching up.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
I think this is happening. You can barely drive a block in Scranton without seeing a house(s) for sale. Sadly, some of them (single-family, beautiful homes) will NEVER get their asking prices; sadly too, lots of them will be converted into low-income rentals, catering to what some of you call (and I agree) the Thuggery element.
I think that the city should prohibit landlords from buying a single family house and dividing it into 4 or 6 apartments. Then they rent it through Section 8 and down goes the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania