Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Support the movie premiere for Sex and The City: The Movie Pt. 2 being held in the city of
Yes 4 50.00%
No 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
It certainly does make sense but whatever. I should have know better than to expect anything from this forum except for ridicule. And no JG, I am not being too sensitive. I am being a realist about the people and culture in this area. They are their own worst enemy and yet can't figure out why talented people leave. I think I am going to put my newly remodeled home on the market and take my big disposable income with me to a region of the country where people are actually optimists and are happy doing something else other than complaining and bashing everything under the sun.

I am not ridiculing you. I am answering your question. I think it's a bad idea. Sorry, it is.

Talented people like this guy that you are talking about leave because...hmmm....there is NO movie making industry here!!! This area doesn't need to be a mini-big city to be successful, shoegal.

So you want to leave, then leave...I do not bash everything under the sun. But this movie premiere thing is just a bad idea.

I will turn it around to you since you are insulting my intelligence:

What kind of sense does it make to premiere a movie made in NYC, a movie where NYC plays a HUGE part in the story line - in Scranton, PA? So what if the head producer is from this area? Big whoop. Did Spielberg ever open one of his movies in Cincinatti? How about Soderbegh in Atlanta? Bruckheimer in Detroit? Avi Arad in Ramat Gan, Israel? No. None of these people ever opened a movie in their hometown because it makes no sense to do so.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,539 times
***another sigh***

Reinforces my belief that only WE are responsible for creating our own hell....

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
True. That's the problem. With all the corruption in NEPA, unfortunately it DOES have some bearing on just about every NEPA subject...

Still, that political sticky thread did help "lessen" all the infiltration on other threads & actually made the mod's job easier...
I agree. It seems like a lot of the problems around here mainly began AFTER the closing of that political/off topic sticky thread.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Really? Ya think?? I think not. I don't go around bashing and ridiculing people or launching personal attacks. But I sure do seem to be on the recieving end of them. I am not the one making statements that are nothing more than mere gossip and conjecture about people I don't even know personally or professionally but many of the posters on this forum do. I asked for a vote. Not for political statements. Since that cannot be done I have asked the TBT to close the thread. I won't make the mistake again of ever trying to post here.

Political statements?
Personal attacks?

Seriously WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Still, that political sticky thread did help "lessen" all the infiltration on other threads & actually made the mod's job easier...
I agree...that thread should be brought back. Funny, it was probably someone who likes to lodge complaints on this forum that whined and got that thread shut down....

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I am not ridiculing you. I am answering your question. I think it's a bad idea. Sorry, it is.

Talented people like this guy that you are talking about leave because...hmmm....there is NO movie making industry here!!! This area doesn't need to be a mini-big city to be successful, shoegal.

So you want to leave, then leave...I do not bash everything under the sun. But this movie premiere thing is just a bad idea.

What kind of sense does it make to premiere a movie made in NYC, a movie where NYC plays a HUGE part in the story line - in Scranton, PA? So what if the head producer is from this area? Big whoop. Did Spielberg ever open one of his movies in Cincinatti? How about Soderbegh in Atlanta? Bruckheimer in Detroit? Avi Arad in Ramat Gan, Israel? No. None of these people ever opened a movie in their hometown because it makes no sense to do so.
He is a writer. He happened to get a job in hollywood. He could have easily been a writer here. And BTW, lots of movies have opened in towns and cities other than NYC or LA because the producer, director, etc brought them to their hometowns. Scranton back in the day had lots of movie premiers and they didn;t even have a local connection.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM

So instead of having an adult conversation shoegal, you are going to basically take your ball and go home because the other kids aren't playing the way you want them to?

Gee....I don't know WHY your threads always end up like this....

Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
He is a writer. He happened to get a job in hollywood. He could have easily been a writer here. And BTW, lots of movies have opened in towns and cities other than NYC or LA because the producer, director, etc brought them to their hometowns. Scranton back in the day had lots of movie premiers and they didn;t even have a local connection.

You said he was head producer. No matter -- if you think the PTB in Hollywood are going to open a movie in a small city because of the writer....

Well, you are just showing truly how much you DO NOT know about how the business works.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,220 times
Quote:

BTW, only the first sentence was a direct response to you. The rest was a response to JG.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:

I agree...but unfortunately, there is a small group of yuppie wanna-be's in Scranton who think they are turning the city into some kind of mini-Manhattan (we see how that's worked out), and think that the universe revolves around Scranton. I just wish people would let Scranton be Scranton already, and just work to keep it a nice small city with liveable friendly safe neighborhoods, rather than some kind of playground for the martini and latte crowd. At least Wilkes-Barre is realistic about what it is, and tries to make smaller improvements that will benefit its residents. But in Scranton, we have some people who think that there should be Hollywood movie premieres here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania