Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I wouldn't want to be a state employee while Doherty was governor. I could see it now...no raises for the state police, but a treehouse in every county!

That's a good one,,lololol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
Note to Dibileo: You're just going to lose again, dude.

If you really want to unseat Doherty, try finding a better, smarter candidate than yourself, and throw whatever weight you have behind him/her.

Note to Doherty: You really think your work here is done?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
I think Doherty is kinda stuck. He needed the Mayoral win in order to
move up the ladder, and he needs to move up before he wears out his
welcome. Politicians, even good ones, are usually tossed out after
several terms just due to public weariness. The only other three term
Mayor was Hanlon, I believe.

Many here and on other boards have a dislike for Doherty, but who could
fill the shoes? Am I happy about the wage tax? No, but you also have to
take the good with the bad. I have found him to be a reasonable person
working off a vision. Who agrees with that vision, well that's where the
argument comes in.

Very rarely do we agree completely with any public official, and that's ok.
It's the extremist faction that gets out of hand, and in they end, are their
own worst enemy. While some may have good ideas, their attitude and
approach all but drown them out. This leads to frustration, and you have
what we see here and elsewhere.

It would seem that Doherty knows he needs to move on, but for those who
would kick him out the door rather than wave him goodbye, may be even
less satisfied with his replacement, whoever that may be.

There have always been things in Scranton to find fault with, and I imagine
there always will be. But even the most ardent detractor, deep down, has
to be able to see the good things that have happened to the city in the
past two terms, and that is something we are NOT guaranteed with every
Mayor.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
Luna,
Could you please elaborate as to what improvements have happened over the last 2 terms??
I just dont see any tangible progress... lots of window dressing, but no meat and potatoes...

Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Luna,
Could you please elaborate as to what improvements have happened over the last 2 terms??
I just dont see any tangible progress... lots of window dressing, but no meat and potatoes...
Yes, I second john on this one. What has Doherty really done to improve this city in 8 years? I just don't see it. Whenever I rarely go downtown, it does not look any different than it did 10 years ago. He might have spruced up Lackawanna Ave and the Hilton and some parking went up, but we're talking about the city as a whole and the quality of life and public safety. There is NO tangible progress here. Nay Aug, the tree house, the bridge, the dog park are all lip stick on a pig and I don't believe those elements improved the city or made anyone want to move here. I think he did a whole lot of nothing in 8 years.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 PM

82 posts, read 144,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Good post Trucker. The abortion issue and the fact that he was supposed to be committing to the mayor's office instead of running for governor, will turn a lot of people off. Actually, I'm glad he's running for governor, it's probably the only way to get him out of there and get some new blood in. And since I believe he did a very sub-par job as mayor, he couldn't possibly do a good job as governor.
I really dont believe he has a shot at beeing gov he really thinks he has a shot,he made a comment he can win pittsburg because of the irish population but if we irish stick together we can blow him out of the water also he is so full of himself no one else matters to him I was at the debate he didnt even defend himself as a liar just kept saying my economic development I created 6000 new jobs blah blah I me me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania