Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Oh yes. The kids rented downtown..........that walk was a kicker. I had to hear about it all the time.
Didn't know what I could do about it. She thought her Mom could make miracles I think>
Move mountains...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 PM

12 posts, read 156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
I am applying for a faculty position at Bloomsburg University, but I have never been there. I would like to know people's general opinion of this university as well as people's thoughts about the town. Is it a friendly place to live? Is it safe? Affordable?

What are the best places to look for a house in or around Bloomsburg? We currently own a 3-bdrm home on half an acre and would like something similar.

Any info you can provide would be great. Since we would be moving from MN, this is no small decision.

Thanks.

Depends on what you're looking for as a faculty member. It's not an "A" school for sure. Students like it because it's a big party school really. But, they do offer a few unique programs.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Since I know a lot of well educated people from there with good jobs and great careers ....I'd say its not all in the school ranking.......
Great Doctors, Nurses, and Teachers have all come out of Bloomsburg........
It just has a very welcoming feel. Because of the town, and the area it entails.........A great location to head to.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
apparently this new brewpub just opened
Marley's Brewery and Grill | Facebook
and a nanobrewery is on its way called purple heart brewing

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Bloomsburg today is a pretty "yuppified" area, what with the college and all of the doctors and such from Geisinger who make their homes there (and drive up real estate prices as well). All told, it's a nice place to live and raise a family.

It used to be a blue collar town (Incidentally, it's the only officially designated "town" in the state) home to Magee Carpet Mills. A lot of people from Bloomsburg also worked at the giant American Car & Foundry operation (see here Spectrum Magazine- End of an Era) in nearby Berwick.

Tom Corbett, the new governor, is trying to make big cuts in appropriations to the state-supported universities. If he gets his way, you may find that your job is in jeopardy.

Last edited by Wells5; 04-14-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Bloomsburg has an awesome education program. The town itself is very nice and it's near Knoebels. There is also a small children's museum in town. Not to mention the HUGE fair every fall.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 PM

120 posts, read 225,817 times
My sister went to Bloom...education major. She had a great experience there...I have visited there with my family in the past and I think it's a pretty ideal place to raise a young family. They have a great small childrens museum...there is a pretty good choice of cultural activities for such a small town due to the college's proximity. As others have said...Knoebels alone is enough reason to live in that area . The school istelsf is pretty typical of the PA state university system...perhaps not a TOP notch school...but it is also not known as a bad school. It offers something that most people need these days...an affordable education with a decent reputation. If your not dirt poor or filthy rich then an affordable education option is usually your only option...outside of mortgaging your future to the tune of $150-200k.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suretotravel08 View Post
Depends on what you're looking for as a faculty member. It's not an "A" school for sure. Students like it because it's a big party school really. But, they do offer a few unique programs.
THIS. The school (for better or worse) had a huge rep as the #1 party school when I was growing up in the Scranton area. In fact, the bulk of kids from my high school who went to school there explicitly went there to party (and most subsequently dropped/failed out.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania