Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I agree. While $130k may be a steal for a downtown condo/loft in SOME cities, Wilkes-Barre is definitely NOT one of them.
I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I thought Downtown Wilkes-Barre was really bouncing back when I left, and with the improvements coming to Public Square, Kirby Park, Coal Street Park, etc. in 2010 I thought living downtown would be appealing to a growing number of people. I suppose I will never understand the allure of a South Abington cul-de-sac where one has to drive everywhere for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I suppose I will never understand the allure of a South Abington cul-de-sac where one has to drive everywhere for everything.
But you don't have to live in either a downtown condo or a South Abington cul-de-sac....there are plenty of city neighborhoods surrounding the downtown.

Places like NYC and Philadelphia have condos out of necessity...its the only way to live in those cities affordably and close to the downtowns. That's not the case in Scranton. And to be honest, Scranton will never be a city where you don't need a car, you'd go stir-crazy in Scranton without a car. Its just not that big. Its closer to being a small town than it is a big city. Sure, you'll use your car LESS in Scranton than in Clarks Summit, but you'll still need one.

Downtown apartments may have a market here, but I think it will be either senior citizen or college student housing. And the prices they're asking are a little steep for students and the elderly.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 AM

331 posts, read 639,799 times
Even living in downtown WB, you'd still need a car to do many things. That's the point. WB just doesn't have the big city amenities and jobs in the downtown area to warrant the $130k price tag.

It might be ok for college profs, but I can't imagine many other people actually needing or wanting one of these.

As a side note, the allure of a yard in general comes with having family and/or pets. We just moved from Dickson City to Sellersville (Upper Bucks county, still considered Philly metro even though ABE is closer) to a great townhouse community and we have two dog parks, a huge green space for the kids and we are still rural enough that we don't feel like suburbanites. I like the idea of city living more than actually doing it.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
They have to keep the prices in check, and there cannot be an oversaturation of condo's. I do like the idea of more downtown living options though, and these projects also are taking old, dilapidated eyesores and turning them into condo's, that is definatly a good thing for Wilkes-Barre. I don't know what the case is in Scranton? Are they doing the same thing? Renovating old warehouses, and rundown properties like Wilkes-Barre, or are they building them new from the ground up? I have to say, whether or not they sell them all or not, these projects ARE renovting some real dumpy properties that otherwise would continue to deteriorate, and be eyesores and havens for homeless people. Even if they do end up being senior citizen housing in the future, that is a hell of alot better then what they are right now! The only one that will be built from scratch will be The Beacon Towers, but that is a private investor.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
Scrantons are rehabs, The only problem is they arent private funding, All on the taxpayers dime, free Money, and KOZ, so no revenue from them..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It will be just below the River Street exit of the Cross-Valley Expressway (Route 309). The tower is technically going to be in Plains Township. I wish Wilkes-Barre could annex portions of its suburbs as Sunbelt cities do.
Thanx for the information; I too feel annexation would be a key factor in the region's long term growth.....but the entrenched political machines will fight it "tooth and nail".

Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Another problem is Wilkes-Barre's bad reputation, neighboring towns do not want to be associated with, or be part of Wilkes-Barre. Until Wilkes-Barre is viewed in a positive light by it's neighboring towns, this is very, very unlikely to happen...if ever at all.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:07 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I agree....and Scranton is not NYC, it is not a necessity to live in lofts and condos in order to be close to downtown....in Scranton you can still live in a single family house with a yard and be walking distance to downtown. Same goes for Wilkes-Barre.

I guarantee all these condo projects eventually become senior citizen housing once they figure out that there's no other market for downtown apartments in this area.

Very good point. I'm an idiot. I live about 4 blocks from downtown WB in a single family house with a backyard. I didn't even think of that when I originally read this. LOL

Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I agree. While $130k may be a steal for a downtown condo/loft in SOME cities, Wilkes-Barre is definitely NOT one of them.

Yep, I totally agree. $130K on S. Main St., WB? I don't think so....

Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Even living in downtown WB, you'd still need a car to do many things. That's the point. WB just doesn't have the big city amenities and jobs in the downtown area to warrant the $130k price tag.

It might be ok for college profs, but I can't imagine many other people actually needing or wanting one of these.

As a side note, the allure of a yard in general comes with having family and/or pets. We just moved from Dickson City to Sellersville (Upper Bucks county, still considered Philly metro even though ABE is closer) to a great townhouse community and we have two dog parks, a huge green space for the kids and we are still rural enough that we don't feel like suburbanites. I like the idea of city living more than actually doing it.

I don't think you need a car to live in WB. I've lived most of my adult life without a car and lived quite easily using the bus, my legs and very rarely a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania