Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,981 times

Advertisements

Take a trip and never leave the farm!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Take a trip and never leave the farm!!

I'll never leave the farm .. Its home . Will never have any neighbors either ..

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMama View Post
My family plans to move to the Poconos within the next year or two. We have visited the East Stroudsburg area a few times. We are from NYC and are looking for an area in the Poconos with great schools, low crime, and ethnic diversity.

I don't mean this post to offend anyone but I'm honestly looking for good advice. We are a Black American family with limited knowledge of various areas in the Poconos. I have asked around and have gotten answers such as "Stay away from here because they are racists" or "Look into area X because that is where most of the black people are." I appreciate the "tip" but that is not exactly the kind of feedback we are looking for.

We want to live in an area that is culturally diverse. Our primary concern is raising our kids in a fairly safe environment with great schools. They currently attend Catholic school (ages 5-9) and we would prefer to have them attend a Catholic school in the Poconos as well.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Any helpful suggestion for safe areas for a family would be welcome.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
StarMama, what kind of work would you be looking to obtain? That's really important.

There are many different areas to choose from. You might want to consider looking in an area that will be able to support your family and go from there by checking out different neighborhoods.

Be aware that any real estate agent you may hire to help you will not be able to tell you which neighborhoods to look in, which ones to avoid, etc. as that is a violation of federal fair housing laws. You are doing some of your own due diligence by checking out City-Data but please be aware that some opinions you get on here may be very subjective.

Your best bet is to actually visit the areas more than once; see how comfortable you feel while you are there...then do some more extensive research by reading online versions of the newspapers, contacting local law enforcement, and even visiting restaurants / businesses to get a feel for the area.
I have to agree...what type of employment? I will do my best to assist you. If you are planning on commuting to NYC I would strongly urge you to re-think moving here. IMHO for a family with young children it is too much of a comute and with all the snow days and dangerous travel it is a receipe for disaster...

Old 10-06-2009, 04:58 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
How do you know ? Do you Live there ? or are going by what OTHERS say ?

Like Scranton or any other town Dont have Drug problems ..

Pfffsssttt.. Get real ... Its not a dump.. its a Pocono Community , With LOTS of people from NYC and NJ ..

There are Drugs EVERYWHERE

That's funny you should say this, because in one of your posts on Oct 4th, you stated it was a drug manufacturing plant. Maybe you should remember what you post. Pcp is a dump, and not a place to raise kids.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:04 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
That's funny you should say this, because in one of your posts on Oct 4th, you stated it was a drug manufacturing plant. Maybe you should remember what you post. Pcp is a dump, and not a place to raise kids.
I know this .I was being sarcastic

Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Sure there are drugs everywhere, but not usually in such a contained envrionment like PCP. The gates and lack of real police coverage make it even worse there. I would never recommend someone with children to move to Pocono Country Place.

If they're looking for ethnic diversity, I would say Stroudsburg, E. Stroudsburg, or Mt. Pocono.
Arlington Heights would work too.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 PM

66 posts, read 289,615 times
Whatever you do, do not move to PCP (A Pocono Country Place). Bad area. Seems like many people who move from NY move there. 2 worst things are drugs and robberies. Try Mt. Pocono, Tannersville, Strouseburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania