Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:49 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

im still waiting 50 some odd years for any particular party or president to cause something to change for me in my life....

heres my political summary for 57 years.

im paying the lowest income taxes in our history and im paying the most ever for health insurance... i wish there was more i could think of that politics has had an effect on mine and my familys life on a daily basis.

as far as recessions, properity , depressions,inflation they are all part of the natural business cycle . no political party has yet found away to repeal them.

everything else my wife and i are responsible for as far as making things happen.. we took control and made our own lives what they are not politics at all.

like i always say , if folks put as much time in to planning their financial lives as they do politics they would be a whole lot happier and better off.

most know more about their car or refrigerator then they do anything pertaining to their financial health and planning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you really believe Mr. Smith EVER had measurable power in Washington? I don't. The powerful have always been the ones with the most connections and the most money. Since the beginning of time.
Not since the beginning of time - I think when America got started, back in the days of Washington and Jefferson and the other "founding fathers" - they took their position as public servants seriously and wanted to nurture this young country and help it grow strong and healthy. At some point along the way - gradually, slowly - the corruption that resides within the heart of man began to rear its ugly head and take root.

It's been all about power and money for many many decades...and that's probably what it will continue to be about.

But it used to be about freedom, and limited government.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I have an all electric home. So winters when I have been here it was running about $350 per month on this home.......( More on my last all electric home) But, I love the heat. Its clean and I don't have to worry about the oil furnace. We use to loose that oil heat due to frozen lines more times then I want to remember.
Always calling someone in to fix it.......Always wrapping the outdoor lines.
This is quiet and easy.......very, very, clean. Gosh, that oil was into things!!
What is nice is I can leave and turn off many of the rooms that don't have water.........So very few stay on and if they do they are at 50. It works very well.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 PM

i agree about electic heat, its so nice to be able to control each room seperatley. the main thing i like is no moving parts . we have hot air propane and if that fan motor craps out the entire house has no heat and we are here in nyc. i would have to drive up and hope someone has a motor in stock.

i may put some backup baseboards in this winter just in case...

Old 10-15-2009, 05:12 PM

267 posts, read 765,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I have an all electric home. So winters when I have been here it was running about $350 per month on this home.......( More on my last all electric home) But, I love the heat. Its clean and I don't have to worry about the oil furnace. We use to loose that oil heat due to frozen lines more times then I want to remember.
Always calling someone in to fix it.......Always wrapping the outdoor lines.
This is quiet and easy.......very, very, clean. Gosh, that oil was into things!!
What is nice is I can leave and turn off many of the rooms that don't have water.........So very few stay on and if they do they are at 50. It works very well.
I too have all electric and love the very low maintenance of it.

My bills in the winter average between $250-$300 in the coldest months.
So as much as I hate increases in anything, $75- $90 a month is not going to kill me.
Especially after I have seen how some of my buddies with oil heat got beat-up the past couple of years. Guess it is our turn

Old 10-17-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
A strong sense of being part of a solution instead of part of the problem. You know, one of those huggy feel good thingys...
its okay to like that feeling but you have to put everything into perspective. the facts are all the political talk and threats and promises are just that, talk.

there is very little that will actually materialize or effect you on a daily basis.

if you take an interest on a hobby level , well thats cool.. but if you listen to all this bull and wait for something to change in your life , well thats un-good.

thinking any party will make things better for you that you dont take control of and make happen yourself would be quite foolish yet thats what alot of americans do. politics merely become reactive and deal with lifes events on a real time basis despite all the talk prior to this. everything gets delt with on the fly same as you or i would deal with things. dosnt matter what party or who, everything gets delt with in real time.

then these same people wonder why their lives are so low quality and point the finger blaming everything and everyone but themselves.

as a writer and contributor for many financial sites and publications it just drives me nuts when folks wait for something to happen by someone else rather then make things happen and plan for themselves.

the best way to be part of the solution is to make sure your own plans and goals are in place and then put every bit of effort you can muster to see those thru, then if you want to save the world more power to you all.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-17-2009 at 03:36 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 06:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I tried to rep you mathjak, but I couldn't. I think this is a very good post!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:30 AM

thank you!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default uh.....

When I lived in Boston I always got sticker shock when the electric bill arrived! I never had electric heat, but some friends have it and prefer it to the dingy old furnace still in their basements. I like hot water, gas. My new apartment in an old, well maintained house is quiet as a mouse and efficient.

I'm glad to hear that noone is bashing Obamessiah here! Poor guy has his hands full! I still don't understand why anybody would want that position after the last eight years! Phew! Like Math said, any prez in my life never truly had any major effect on me/my lifestyle.....

Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Maybe it's not enough, but we are allowed to speak English, govern ourselves, have not been blown to smithereens. You're right; more people know about lawn turf management than financial planning. I'm living proof, couldn't have made more mistakes. That planning is all for naught if your assets are confiscated. It has nearly happened more times than many people realize. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im still waiting 50 some odd years for any particular party or president to cause something to change for me in my life....

heres my political summary for 57 years.

im paying the lowest income taxes in our history and im paying the most ever for health insurance... i wish there was more i could think of that politics has had an effect on mine and my familys life on a daily basis.

as far as recessions, properity , depressions,inflation they are all part of the natural business cycle . no political party has yet found away to repeal them.

everything else my wife and i are responsible for as far as making things happen.. we took control and made our own lives what they are not politics at all.

like i always say , if folks put as much time in to planning their financial lives as they do politics they would be a whole lot happier and better off.

most know more about their car or refrigerator then they do anything pertaining to their financial health and planning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania