Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 221,646 times

Advertisements

Uh oh, you're scaring me with the brave brave woman comment (lol). Thanks for your speedy reply. Are you happy living in the Pocono area?? Any regrets?? My finace is in the construction line of work but, more so in the office. He's a material manager. Can you suggest any towns that would suit us? We are looking for a rural lifestyle. I would like to have a garden and enough space for two large dogs (great dane and mastiff). We are looking for good schools and friendly neighbors. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM

21 posts, read 72,433 times
Summering and MollyMe, I guess what I meant to ask, I tend to ramble, was: with the stats I gave on my almost 6yr. old, do you think I should put him in kindergarden or first grade? I know I have to call schools and research, etc. thanks for the PVbear sight, BTW. I just thought some insight might help. My husband says: 1st, I say: kindergarden. Thanks

Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cljovan View Post
Summering and MollyMe, I guess what I meant to ask, I tend to ramble, was: with the stats I gave on my almost 6yr. old, do you think I should put him in kindergarden or first grade? I know I have to call schools and research, etc. thanks for the PVbear sight, BTW. I just thought some insight might help. My husband says: 1st, I say: kindergarden. Thanks

The school will test your child before starting kindergarten and if they see the child is ahead of its years they will put him in the correct grade level. They did it to my son, after many tests and me pushing the school. He had half a year as a Kindergartener and half a year as a first grader. And just completed 2nd grade now going into 3rd (he'll be eight in January). (bragging--his tests say he is actually a 4th grader)

Ask the school to test your child. My kid was the first to skip a grade in 20 years in the Pocono Mountain S.D. and the 4th kid ever in the district to do it.
So it can happen--get your child tested by the school.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Default Testing

Probably the best answer is found in testing. ( agree with Molly)
I put my youngest into a pre-school, and then a private kindergarden
early.
When she got to first grade in a regular public school. She was the youngest.
And.......low and behold, the kindergarden I paid for did not have her prepared.
All the children knew so much more then the private school taught her!
Then again, she was the youngest first grader.
So I actually blamed myself for rushing her along when she was fully prepared to be a "child" a bit longer then I realized
I'm sure a test would be the best thing to ask for.
Then you will have your answer with no problem, and no wrong placement of your child. Glad we can be of some little bit of help here.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Law View Post
Thank you very much Summering, Bagldot and MollyMe!

I've been sitting at the computer with my eyes falling out of my head for weeks looking at MLS listings feeling clueless. I'm thrilled I found this forum where I can ask real people real questions. Thank you all.

Summering ~ why do you say Penn Estates is no longer pleasant? Are the contemporaries good quality homes? It is so close to I80, it seems a shame to not look there.

I've found several houses I like on MLS that are in a place called Saw Creeks Estate in Bushkill, Pikes Cty., PA. Any info on this location would be greatly appreciated. As would any comments on the difference between living in Monroe Cty. vs. Pike or Buck Counties.

I googled Lake Naomi. Looks beau-ti-ful! Are there many communities there? I could only only find 2; Lake Naomi & Timber Trails. Lake Naomi Real Estate - Pocono Mountain Homes And the only Emerald Lake I could find in PA is near Pittsburgh?

Once again, thank you all! Sorry I ask so many questions ... my house is selling soon and I'm trying to narrow down the towns I'll be looking in during my short house searching trip up North. It's either Northeastern PA or the Hudson Valley in NY.
Emerald Lakes.......hummm google Emerald Lakes Mt Pocono.
Think they have either 3 to 5 lakes in there. Some beaches, a club that is active. Some pools........You can get there also from 115.
The lake is beautiful the homes are too. Hope this helps

Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,243 times
What I can tell you about the difference between Pike & Monroe County are the taxes. The taxes are lower in Pike County. So, if annual costs are a factor, you might want to consider Pike. Pike County is also not at "built up" as Monroe. Sorry, I don't know about Bucks County.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 9,728 times
I have a question I live in Pike County (Bushkill). I’m looking for a home/land that is not located in a community, which seems impossible. Realtors haven’t been able to help me. Any thoughts?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Pike County isn’t as built up as Monroe and the taxes are lower, I guess it just depends on what you’re looking for. Most of the people I know in my area are looking for some place else to go. I’m looking at Dingmans Ferry, but I’m thinking of abandoning the area all together. The area seems to be on a decline. I have lived in major cities, and I have never experienced the level of vandalism I have experienced in the Pocono area. Now there is a problem with gangs, there are gangs every where, but the issue is there are more people moving into this area and the police force does not seem to be growing at a rate that can accommodate the influx of new residents. So your taxes are lower, but if you need help, do you want to be some place where there is an hour’s wait for assistance? I moved here for a quieter life and now it seems the problems of an urban environment are right behind me. You can have problems where ever you may move, I guess, and you will never know there is an issue, and you will probably love your home if there is never an event where you have to call the authorities, or your development’s security team for that matter. Once there’s an issue it will be like open Pandora’s Box and you will see the downside of the Poconos. I wouldn’t move here thinking it will be better, different but not better. Sorry I’m just venting, because I’m disgusted. Be sure to research, research, research. I did research, but the things that I didn’t think to investigate are causing the problems now. If you are going to Pike County call the local State Police barracks.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Opel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
Pike County isn’t as built up as Monroe and the taxes are lower, I guess it just depends on what you’re looking for. Most of the people I know in my area are looking for some place else to go. I’m looking at Dingmans Ferry, but I’m thinking of abandoning the area all together. The area seems to be on a decline. I have lived in major cities, and I have never experienced the level of vandalism I have experienced in the Pocono area. Now there is a problem with gangs, there are gangs every where, but the issue is there are more people moving into this area and the police force does not seem to be growing at a rate that can accommodate the influx of new residents. So your taxes are lower, but if you need help, do you want to be some place where there is an hour’s wait for assistance? I moved here for a quieter life and now it seems the problems of an urban environment are right behind me. You can have problems where ever you may move, I guess, and you will never know there is an issue, and you will probably love your home if there is never an event where you have to call the authorities, or your development’s security team for that matter. Once there’s an issue it will be like open Pandora’s Box and you will see the downside of the Poconos. I wouldn’t move here thinking it will be better, different but not better. Sorry I’m just venting, because I’m disgusted. Be sure to research, research, research. I did research, but the things that I didn’t think to investigate are causing the problems now. If you are going to Pike County call the local State Police barracks.
Opel, you did a wonderful posting of your area. I found it quite interesting as I haven't been up that way in awhile. So you feel that the urban problems have followed you. I am aware too that more crime is heading this way.
There has to be more police present in all the towns that are on the border of NJ. Don't get me wrong I spent tons of years in NJ......I loved it........but things are changing. I am thinking too ,that going to Dingmans will not far remove you from the problems your facing. What is up with all this vandalism?
It seems the cops are not solving that problem, and they have too before someone gets hurt. I know someone who was robbed in the afternoon.
The police now are not returning his call about an issue. This is important and it concerns a persons home and safety. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 PM

Robberies during the day are becoming common place in the area. My neighbors were robbed while they were home on a Sunday afternoon. It's very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania