Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,577,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycomb2373 View Post
Hello Molly,
It is a pleasure to meet you. I am a recently widowed mother of two, and I have decided to move to PA from NYC to be closer to my mother in law. Unfortunately, I am not hearing very nice things about the Pocono’s Farms East development, as well as the Tobyhanna Area. I guess I did not I did not do enough of my HW to know what others are saying and apparently been saying for a while. Therefore, if all this negative info is true, what can you best tell me, how to protect my family the best I can, and try to make the best out of PA.? I’m not necessarily looking for the general attractions or hobbies; I’m actually looking for reputable home security companies, affordable landscapers. As well as possibly a estimate of what household expenses I am expect ie. Water, electric, cable, internet, garbage pick-up, telephone, etc...

Molly your advice and heads up would be so greatly appreciated. As I am praying that, I have not made the biggest mistake of my life.

Blessings,

Nay
I am not Molly.......but as a friend of Molly's I can help you out until she posts on here for sure.
Don't get yourself all worried about Pocono Farms. I think it is one of the nicer communities. You will be ok.
Be glad you did not go into APCP then you would most likely be ready for all those worries you are thinking about.
They seem to have a nice area, nice pool and good development.
Just check for water damage, mold, and especially any retention of water in the basement area. If need be, get a sump pump and have it hooked up and ready.
I think the security companies you find in the phone book will all be good....they are security companies, that is their job.
You should ask for information from Pocono farms on their phone service, sewer, garbage etc. Sometimes things are included with your dues.
Garbage should not be expensive at all. Cable is about 53.00 with a few extras on it ( not HBO) Electric is high........keep off what you can. If you have electric heat, close the rooms not in use. Always keep bathrooms, and kitchens on because of water lines. It can run 78.00 summer up to 350.00 and more winter. As we know all fuel utilities are high now.Dail Up is about 20 and Cable is 30 ish..........Although there is plans for combined. Hopefully you won't be stuck with frontier phone service as you then can not go out and get a cheaper company for your phone. This disappoints me in our area.
But,don't dispair. Your choice of area is ok. Really........the Poconos is a breath of fresh air. It is a glorious place. I have not seen a crime being done, or anything close in the 13 years I have been here. I read it, I hear about it.........but.........I have not seen it.
I am betting you will enjoy your new surroundings, best of luck.
You will love it I think, as most of the people I know do........
Don't worry just enjoy............Your kids will love the mountains, rivers, lakes, and all the other fun things.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 31,117 times
I am also not Molly.. but I live in Pocono Farms Country Club and just like Summering the Farms are a great place to live. The one difference is, you mentioned Pocono Farms EAST. There are actually two Pocono Farms. They are across the street from each other, yet are two separate communities. Pocono Farms East is not as nice as Pocono Farms Country Club. The dues in Pocono Farms Country Club is much higher then EAST, but that includes the garbage pickup, snow removal and misc. other fees to the association. We also have a beautiful lake, pool, tennis courts, golf course and a restaurant. The association also makes sure we keep our houses/lawns, etc. in tip top order. Some of the homes in Pocono Farms East are not as nice and they really do not have the same amenities. There are a number of beautiful homes for sale in Pocono Farms. And yes, where ever you go, just make sure you check for water leakage in the basements and crawlspaces. Tobyhanna has some beautiful communities but we seem to have a bad reputation for gangs and violance because of one horrible community just above us (A Pocono Country Place). There is crime all over but, Toby should not be judged by one bad apple. As for the schools, the grammer and middle schools are good, but, Pocono Mountain West High School, has had problems. Wishing you luck.
Quote:
Hello Molly,
Quote:
It is a pleasure to meet you. I am a recently widowed mother of two, and I have decided to move to PA from NYC to be closer to my mother in law. Unfortunately, I am not hearing very nice things about the Pocono’s Farms East development, as well as the Tobyhanna Area. I guess I did not I did not do enough of my HW to know what others are saying and apparently been saying for a while. Therefore, if all this negative info is true, what can you best tell me, how to protect my family the best I can, and try to make the best out of PA.? I’m not necessarily looking for the general attractions or hobbies; I’m actually looking for reputable home security companies, affordable landscapers. As well as possibly a estimate of what household expenses I am expect ie. Water, electric, cable, internet, garbage pick-up, telephone, etc...
Molly your advice and heads up would be so greatly appreciated. As I am praying that, I have not made the biggest mistake of my life.
Blessings,
Nay

Last edited by toby1; 09-27-2007 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: changes

Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
My ex-boyfriend lives in Pocono Farms-East, and he's quite content living there. It seemed like a very tranquil place. There's a sign there about a new library being built soon in the community, but it's been up now for years, so I think the library plan fell through. Tobyhanna gets a bad reputation because about 1/3 of its population lives in A Pocono Country Place, another community which has a nefarious reputation for crime. As such, the Pocono Mountain-West High School suffers accordingly (my ex, a product of that school, doesn't give it very high marks). You'll enjoy living in Pocono Farms-East, but you might want to send your children to private school once they reach high school age. Welcome in advance to NEPA!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:44 PM

422 posts, read 2,000,173 times
Hi I'm MOLLY!! LOL I think you have found your answers. LOL

Old 09-27-2007, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 18,499 times
Blessings and thank you all. I've been having so many reservations about moving up there. Lord knows I really appreciate all of your responses. I am hoping my children and me can start a new life and rebuild some of what we lost, so again thanks. BTW, my children are 10 yrs apart. One is 15 and the other is 4 soon to be 5. So yes, I will need to cover all areas when it comes to making this move. If there is, any other information or updates you can keep me abrust of it would be great. In addition, if there are any other blogs or chat rooms you can suggest I would like to be apart of those as well. Looking forward to being a part of the PA Family. Thanks again.

Oh yeah Molly, don’t tell anyone I told you but you have some really nice and helpful friends. LMAO

Old 09-27-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
Hi I'm MOLLY!! LOL I think you have found your answers. LOL
Hey Molly, Where ya' been.......we've been holding up the fort here
Thats what friends are for. Anyhow, Molly has a big household to manage, I don't know how she has any spare time....
Molly could you PM that other commuter site to her , it might be good for her to have, its a bit more then commuting I think.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby1 View Post
I am also not Molly.. but I live in Pocono Farms Country Club and just like Summering the Farms are a great place to live. The one difference is, you mentioned Pocono Farms EAST. There are actually two Pocono Farms. They are across the street from each other, yet are two separate communities. Pocono Farms East is not as nice as Pocono Farms Country Club. The dues in Pocono Farms Country Club is much higher then EAST, but that includes the garbage pickup, snow removal and misc. other fees to the association. We also have a beautiful lake, pool, tennis courts, golf course and a restaurant. The association also makes sure we keep our houses/lawns, etc. in tip top order. Some of the homes in Pocono Farms East are not as nice and they really do not have the same amenities. There are a number of beautiful homes for sale in Pocono Farms. And yes, where ever you go, just make sure you check for water leakage in the basements and crawlspaces. Tobyhanna has some beautiful communities but we seem to have a bad reputation for gangs and violance because of one horrible community just above us (A Pocono Country Place). There is crime all over but, Toby should not be judged by one bad apple. As for the schools, the grammer and middle schools are good, but, Pocono Mountain West High School, has had problems. Wishing you luck.
Thank you TOBY, you clarified a few things I wasn't aware about........
Thats great.......I know she will do fine. It is just something new and a big move. I think she will be greeted warmly.........right PA!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 PM

422 posts, read 2,000,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Hey Molly, Where ya' been.......we've been holding up the fort here
Thats what friends are for. Anyhow, Molly has a big household to manage, I don't know how she has any spare time....
Molly could you PM that other commuter site to her , it might be good for her to have, its a bit more then commuting I think.
HERE I AM!!! I check in everyday, but the answers are already there--Thanks to the LOT of you. I've been bombarded with private messages!!!

That "OTHER" Website---I NO LONGER SUPPORT--We give out great information here.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 18,499 times
Wow you ladies are quick. No Molly why is it that you no loger show any support? Hummm I wonder. LOL I thank you all for the advice, and pls keep me in the loop. Im sitting here just surfting.

Much thanks

Old 09-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Ise

60 posts, read 158,631 times
Thumbs up Yeaahh

Hey! I got the job!
I'll be a lift attendant/operator at camelback!!!
I'm so, so happy!
Too bad I have to wait till December to go there

Well, if anyone has any other information about Camelback and surroundings, and places to buy warm clothes, i'll be glad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania