Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM

6 posts, read 28,269 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,105 times
First of all, I would like to thank Molly for starting this thread and all of the posters for their invaluable information. I have read 30 pages of this thread (still reading!) and am cutting and pasting a lot of the responses to compile and give to my husband to read. I have a couple questions of my own that (I hope!) haven't already been answered.

My husband and I live outside of Philly (King of Prussia) and are renting. For our first home we want to move to the Poconos. We are childfree and do not care about school districts. We just want a nice quiet area that is not *too* far from an airport (husband flies for work every week) and with *some* industry (but not over-built). Ideally we are looking for something with a decent piece of land (at least an acre) and in the $250,000 range.

We would like to be within a 20-30 min. drive from Wilkes Barre as we have friends there. Also, we want a house that is NOT part of a community. We do not like the idea of anyone dictating what we can do with our own property, but the issue i'm running into is that it's hard to find a home that is NOT part of these communities.

Could anyone recommend a good area based on what I've outlined above? Even just a couple of town names within the Wilkes-Barre area that are considered "poconos" that are nice towns with low crime and picturesque views <g> Thanks in advance for your comments, ideas. I can't say enough how happy I am to have found this forum!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,183 times
Well thank you for appreciating this thread!! Our buddy Scranton-Wilkes-Barre (PAUL) will surely chime in with some info near Wilkes-Barre--which is NOT part of the PoconoMtns. thats Wyoming Valley Area. But you got the Scranton Airport and the Allentown Airport. I"m gonna recommend MOSCOW which is the pocono mtns area and very nice.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:33 PM

40 posts, read 285,682 times
McCann School of Business and Technology in Scranton is always looking. How do I know? I am a student there.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:40 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flame View Post
McCann School of Business and Technology in Scranton is always looking. How do I know? I am a student there.
OK I have no clue what this is about!!!

Any more future poconoeers coming this way????

Old 11-26-2007, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,889 times
Default Mold in Poconos

Karen - I see that you had mold in your house - how bad was the mold and how painful was it to remove?
I am looking at a house in the Poconos and it currently has mold - I had an inspection performed. I am trying to determine if I should move forward with the purchase - if I can get the house at a large discount and plan to perform some construction work (replace sheetrock, drop ceiling, etc) and have the mold remediation performed.

Any thoughts or input from anyone ion Pocono mold and cleanup/ mold return is greatly appreciated.

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I don't know that I would waive a home inspection. My husband and I did not have a home inspection with the house we bought because hey, he's a carpenter by trade and knows his stuff, right? So - sure, he was able to tell structurally that everything was fairly cool - the issues we had later with the roof probably would not have been revealed by an inspector either. BUT...

We did NOT know all the places to look for mold, and lo and behold..our two bedroom closets (cleverly painted dark blue by the tenants) were FULL of mold on the outside walls. Which not only got our daughter very sick but also ruined my wedding dress. My daughter's repeated "sinus infections" that got worse ONLY at nap time and bed time finally clued us in that SOMETHING in her room was making her sick..and then we found the mold. Would an inspector have found it? We'll never know....but I believe he would.

The real estate office where I work has worked with several different inspectors. One of the favorite ones is Pat Russell. I do not have his information here but will get it when I go to the office.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,552 times
I gotta question too! Thanks for the offer also. I am a special education teacher looking to move closer to the east coast, but not to the city. I'm looking for some of the divirsity without all the crime. I understand that every city has crime so negatives about people being harmed is not what I am interested in. I want to know if you know, what would be a good area to move to, that has divirsity, activities, and is child friendly. Also if you know a link or know yourself, what the salary schedule is for teachers? I've been teaching for 5 years, and by the time we move it will have been at least 7. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM

17 posts, read 41,164 times
Hi Ise,
Just stumbled onto this site.
Welcome to the world of working at a ski area.Camelback is a good place to work. The village that you will be staying at is right along side of the ski area. You will recieve a warm jacket with a hood for use as a lift operator. You will want to dress in layers underneath. Fleece pullover is a good choice over long underwear. You will want a good pair of boots that will keep your feet warm and dry. To go cheap I would recommend buying a pair of "pac" boots. They are rubber on the bottom with a leather upper and they have a removable inner boot. You can get these at Kmart or Walmart for around $40.US. You will make friends with the other lifties rather quickly and I am sure you will be able to get a ride to the grocery store and back. Every one is always looking for new friends. A warm hat and gloves will help you. After a while look into snowpants to keep you warm and to block the wind. The food discount in the cafeteria is 50% and that puts it into the price range of a normal fastfood restaurant. Day shift hours are 7-7:30 am until 5:00 pm, night shift 4:30pm until 10:00 pm. I'm sure I meet you sooner or later. Hope this helps you with some of your questions. Good Luck.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:32 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liftie View Post
Hi Ise,
Just stumbled onto this site.
Welcome to the world of working at a ski area.Camelback is a good place to work. The village that you will be staying at is right along side of the ski area. You will recieve a warm jacket with a hood for use as a lift operator. You will want to dress in layers underneath. Fleece pullover is a good choice over long underwear. You will want a good pair of boots that will keep your feet warm and dry. To go cheap I would recommend buying a pair of "pac" boots. They are rubber on the bottom with a leather upper and they have a removable inner boot. You can get these at Kmart or Walmart for around $40.US. You will make friends with the other lifties rather quickly and I am sure you will be able to get a ride to the grocery store and back. Every one is always looking for new friends. A warm hat and gloves will help you. After a while look into snowpants to keep you warm and to block the wind. The food discount in the cafeteria is 50% and that puts it into the price range of a normal fastfood restaurant. Day shift hours are 7-7:30 am until 5:00 pm, night shift 4:30pm until 10:00 pm. I'm sure I meet you sooner or later. Hope this helps you with some of your questions. Good Luck.
Liftie, We gave the brazil girls their very own Brazil comes to the Poconos thread.........I know they would LOVE your advice! Would you mind posting it there. The girls are so excited to come and can use any information you have........Thanks............Summering ( I think that is on Pg 2 of this NE Pa threads)

Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
Well thank you for appreciating this thread!! Our buddy Scranton-Wilkes-Barre (PAUL) will surely chime in with some info near Wilkes-Barre--which is NOT part of the PoconoMtns. thats Wyoming Valley Area. But you got the Scranton Airport and the Allentown Airport. I"m gonna recommend MOSCOW which is the pocono mtns area and very nice.
Actually, the entire Route 115 corridor north of Blakeslee is considered part of the Wilkes-Barre School District. Some communities I would recommend to be within 20-30 minutes of Wilkes-Barre but still in the Pocono Mountains would be Bear Creek Village, Penn Lake Park, White Haven, Bear Creek Township, or Buck Township. Mountain Top has the same rural atmosphere of the Poconos, but it is technically not considered part of the Poconos. Moscow is indeed a nice town, Molly, but it is a LONG haul from Wilkes-Barre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania