Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,681 times

Advertisements

I am moving to accept a position at Tobyhana Army Depot...I am single, and want a clean, nice condo or apartment to rent...new construction would be great..........what town has the stores, movie theatre etc. Major Department stores...that said, however, I would like to live as close to work as possible. I drove up to the area about two weeks ago....but saw little...as my time was limited...Greatly appreciate any assistance.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,077 times
i am thinking of buying a home in lehighton near the beltzville glider airport. does anyone know anything about that area. how is the school system? is the town developing rapidly? is there any type of demand for real estate in that area? how much should houses sell for in that area? is it worth it to spend over 300k in that area or are there better value areas nearby.

thank you molly

Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincavageralph View Post
I am moving to accept a position at Tobyhana Army Depot...I am single, and want a clean, nice condo or apartment to rent...new construction would be great..........what town has the stores, movie theatre etc. Major Department stores...that said, however, I would like to live as close to work as possible. I drove up to the area about two weeks ago....but saw little...as my time was limited...Greatly appreciate any assistance.
You saw "little" because the army depot is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. If you want to live near urban conveniences, you'll have to consider either moving further southeast nearer to the Stroudsburg area or further northwest closer to the Scranton area. The depot sits roughly a half-hour from each city. Scranton has many more amenities, such as minor-league sports, several theaters, concerts, philharmonic, malls, etc., but the winter commute down I-380 between Scranton and Tobyhanna is a skating rink. With that being said, there are a lot of commuter vans that ferry workers between the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and the depot; my brother-in-law utilizes one between Pittston and the depot.

Your best bet, in my humble opinion, would be to check out the Moscow area and the North Pocono School District. Living here you'll be a short drive from both work and the city conveniences in Scranton, yet you can still live in either a rural or suburban atmosphere. Some towns to look into would be Moscow, Daleville, Elmhurst, Mt. Cobb, or Thornhurst (which is the furthest from Scranton).

Old 12-20-2007, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,262 times
MollyMe, Summering, and Willson - thank you all for your replies and help. We do appreciate all the input. We've gotten the snow up here in NH, but so far not the ice - here's hoping the ice stays away!
Thanks again,
jnbp+2

Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Your Welcome, hummmmm..........I think we got all the ice you might have been looking for a few days ago. My SUV, became a sled and without wheels turning.......
went alllllllll the way down the driveway. .......Whew!!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,849 times
Wink good areas to relocate

hi mollyme,im considering moving to jessup. would you happen to know anything about this town and the neighboring areas? any good eateries,walmart,wegmans,homedepot,main groceries,schools,etc?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 AM

18 posts, read 45,485 times
Arrow Spell check

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
WISLON you might want to quote who you are answering, your posts do not make any sense.
You dont make sense ? I'm not angry and dogs get mad.If someone wants to get ahead financially it's a joke! Commute everyone burns out, and moves away.Snow can make that 2 hr. drive you people seem to make so simple into a 6 hr. nightmare.And you can't even spell my name.You must work for the local newspaper?they can't either.How about the 2 lane roads so if someone retired is in front of you they determine your speed and make you late for work.Work what a joke $10.00 AN HOUR GOOD PAY. Yes it's nice but it also does have many gang problems.If you're retired or financially secure and don't need to work.This is the place otherwise you're in for a rude awakening.And that bait tactic about a railroad has been going on for several decades.And don't even get me started about the good ole' boy network and the corruption and bank robberies because people can't make ends meet.Sorry but you are not from the world most of us are in!
PEACE

Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Willson...like Mollyme said...you are not making any sense.
And I'm no spelling and grammar expert...and I usually don't even comment on the topic...I don't think you should either. Just leave that topic out of your 'rant' completely.
Beleive it or not...some people are actually happy with their move to Pa. I have no regrets and most likely will never leave this beautiful area that I live in.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM

20 posts, read 87,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
Hello all,

My name is Molly. I have lived in the Poconos for about 8 years. I hope to be very helpful on this site. So if you have any questions about the area...Stroudsburg and all its surrounding towns--ASK ME!!

I am originally from Long Island. I am married and have young children. I used to be a teacher.

Any questions about where TO live where NOT to live--job opportunites--things to do. ASK MOLLY!!
Molly, can you tell me about the tobyhanna area? Is it nice or a place to stay away from? I'm looking to move and at this point it will either be the lancaster area or somewhere up near the poconos but not as far as scranton or wilkes barre. Way too far. Need to be no farther than a few hours from philly. would love to live in Bethlehem but the housing is very expensive.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
Hi Searchin4home!

The Hawley/Lake Wallenpaupack area is just under 3 hours from Philly. What kind of work will you be looking for?

Hawley/Lake Wallenpaupack is a very nice area with good schools and several nice developments.

Also to take into consideration is The Hideout in Lake Ariel PA -- roughly the same distance from Philly. Nice robust four season community with a lot of stuff for all ages (groups, activities, amenities, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania