Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbluesguy View Post
It's funny, I just saw their infomercial on TV today.When I saw the thermal imaging of the same room between regular space heaters and the EP I was sold.
ordering one tonight.
It's apples to oranges comparison because they aren't comparing it to heater with a distribution fan. You'll get the same effect from any electric heater with a circulating fan. When you have a fan you're heating a greater volume of air to a lower temperature, in other words you're distributing the heat better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 AM

513 posts, read 1,079,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbluesguy View Post
It's funny, I just saw their infomercial on TV today.When I saw the thermal imaging of the same room between regular space heaters and the EP I was sold.
ordering one tonight.

And do you also believe that Forrest Gump met JFK? I mean, you did see it on TV.

Heat is heat, and its straight math. No electric heater is better than any other, amps in = heat out, so you may as well buy the least expensive (safe) model you can.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 AM

996 posts, read 1,056,647 times
I do not have an Eden Pure, but I am curious about one of the claim in the TV commercial.

Supposedly this heater does not dry out the air in the house due to the infared technology.

True or BS?

The winter air is very dry.
I usually keep a cast iron kettle of water on top of my wood burner if the air gets really dry in my house. (cheap man's humidifier)

Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,941 times
The home depot website now sells a window pellet stove. You put it in your window like an AC and it burns enough to heat a large area. An interesting idea but I wonder how it works.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Just saw the Edenpure infomercial on TV this AM and it interested me.
My fear was the same as some of the other posters - that I would be trading a high gas bill for an even higher electric bill.

From what I have read that is not the case.

We have an old house and it heats unevenly - the back where the bathrooms and kitchen and my sons room are, are warm and toasty. The front of the house is another matter. Very chilly - especially in the living room and foyer. The dining room is no oasis of warmth either.

How much does one cost? We have 10 foot ceilings. The house is well insulated but I think that this might take the chill out of our house.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My fear was the same as some of the other posters - that I would be trading a high gas bill for an even higher electric bill.

From what I have read that is not the case.

This thing can under no circumstances compete with the cost of natural gas. The only way you *might* save money over gas is by turning down the thermostat for the whole house and use it to heat just one room.

Assuming this is correct NG is now 98 cents per 100 cubic foot:

UGI Penn Natural Gas: Today's Natural Gas Prices & Where to get Help

About 11 cents/kWH for the electric?

Using those two figures and adjusted for 80% efficiency on the natural gas heating:

Electric: $32.24 per million BTU
Natural Gas: $11.88 per million BTU

Basically you could almost heat 3 same sized rooms with natural gas for the same cost of heating 1 room with a Eden Pure.

---------edit---------

If you're getting uneven heat distribution you need to address that issue and not use band aid approach that is going to cost you a whole lot more in the long run.

I'll say it again, if you're going to buy a portable electric heater don't fall for the hype of the Eden Pure.... Go get a standard ceramic heater with a distribution fan, a good one is probably 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the Eden Pure and you'll get the exact same results.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-19-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
OK coalman, I think that this could be a band aid solution - and in my book, that's no solution at all.

Is my heat distribution issue because the house is old - or is it something worse? The furnace is 10 years old. The house 110.

So do I have a big problem on my hands?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Is my heat distribution issue because the house is old
There's a lot of things that can be an issue here. Is the furnace/boiler big enough? That's usually not an issue and further answers would depend on it being hot air or hydronic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania