Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Conorsdad, but in this instance I'll have to give "WasPA" the bone. Overall, I like Scranton better than Wilkes-Barre, but both cities have rebounded greatly from their "ruts" of the mid-1990s and have been enjoying healthy renaissances as far as the "Rust-Belt" is concerned. Wilkes-Barre's true remaining "hurdle" to attracting new residents is its violent crime issues. Scranton's true remaining "hurdle" is oppressive taxation. Neither issue will be easy to overcome---Scranton is deep in red ink and needs all of the tax revenues it can get, especially since the administration isn't too fond of reducing expenditures, and Wilkes-Barre just hired a bunch of new officers a few months ago, yet I still shake in terror as I walk to my car alone at night after evening classes at King's, as the neighborhood between campus and my parking lot is in a rather rough area. Would I prefer to live in a city where I feared being mugged or one in which I had to fork over an extra $2,000 a year in taxes? Different people would have different opinions on that one, depending on whether they prioritized personal safety or personal finance.

I'll admit that it is a shame that while the majority of Scranton's historic housing stock is still privately-owned and in residential use, most of Wilkes-Barre's historic homes have either been converted to professional use or for use by either Wilkes University or King's College. Nevertheless, a bit of creativity and a passion for HGTV will allow even the most frugal homeowner to devise ways to make the most out of those bland "barn houses" that many of us dread looking at. Kingston and Forty Fort both have quite a number of "in-town", walkable, liveable neighborhoods with historic homes within a short commute of downtown, but the same can be said for Scranton with Dunmore, especially the "Hollywood" section, so Wilkes-Barre doesn't really have an advantage there.

One comment I will make though is that Wilkes-Barre's residential neighborhoods, quite honestly, need more trees! One shouldn't underestimate the positive effects that greenery has upon a neighborhood, from calming traffic to boosting property values to reducing air-conditioning costs in the summer to helping to insulate homes in the winter to purifying the air, to even deterring criminal activity! Nevertheless, most of Wilkes-Barre's residential areas are devoid of trees, with the exception of the Wilkes University area, parts of South Wilkes-Barre, and North Main Street near King's College. I can't tell you how ugly the "Heights" neighborhood looks to me as I drive up and down Coal Street between work and the college---A narrow, congested roadway with housing projects on the right and narrow streets with little white houses, little, if any, off-street parking, and no trees on the left! At the same time, this neighborhood commands some of the most impressive views of the city's skyline and is the most convenient to both Center City and the mall area, being just five minutes from each---It should be a very attractive place to live! Mass plantings all throughout the Coal Street/Heights neighborhood would be a wonderful addition to the quality-of-life in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 12:12 PM

90 posts, read 377,759 times
I agree about the trees. SWB. Trees just give you a calming feeling and also help the air quality. It's nice to hear the rustling leaves on a warm summer's day or to sit in the shade of a large old tree.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 AM

13 posts, read 44,207 times
Default more questions

Our move to Wilkes Barre is in 2weeks and I needed some more info. We have bought a house in Miner's Mill and I am wondering the name of the electric company(can you chose between different ones), the name of the local phone company, is high speed internet available in this area, cable tv prices/carriers, is trash pick up provided by the city, and my dogs are already micro-chipped so do they get another chip when they are registered in PA? Our realtor is supposed to be checking into all this for us, but with the holidays I have not heard from her yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-02-2007, 09:58 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Not familiar with that area, but, the internet is a wonderful tool to find out a lot of things. Advice to you, I would not really wait or depend on your realtor to much, because some of them don't think that there is a sense of ugency. Had that happen myself, and do most of the research myself. Also, some things your own realtor doesn't know, and/ or doesn't want to tell you for one reason or another.
Good luck!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Sorry, familiar with Wilkes Barre, but not with the electric thing and such. The only thing I know is that my dog doesn't get "chipped" everywhere I go, because it is supposed to be a national database thing (so I was told).
Maybe other people will know more about those issues you were asking about. Sorry, I couldn't really help you with that one.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 AM

29 posts, read 133,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead1620 View Post
Our move to Wilkes Barre is in 2weeks and I needed some more info. We have bought a house in Miner's Mill and I am wondering the name of the electric company(can you chose between different ones), the name of the local phone company, is high speed internet available in this area, cable tv prices/carriers, is trash pick up provided by the city, and my dogs are already micro-chipped so do they get another chip when they are registered in PA? Our realtor is supposed to be checking into all this for us, but with the holidays I have not heard from her yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Here's what I know; hope it helps your transition!
As for utilities: http://www.ugi.com/ & http://www.pplelectric.com/
Phone companies: http://www.ctco.com/ & http://www22.verizon.com/
DSL: I have mine through Verizon, but I think CTCO has it, too. I know that Verizon has a bundled bill that includes phone & internet (they also offer Direct TV)
Cable TV: http://www.sectv.com/ (Service Electric) http://www.comcast.com/welcomeAdelphia/ (broken link) (Adelphia is now Comcast)
Trash pick-up: Yes, the city will pick up your garbage. Purchase the "blue" trash bags at Turkey Hill Mini-Markets or at CVS. Use a "white" city can for recycyling and a "green" city can for yard waste...check the cities website for more details>>> www.wilkes-barre.pa.us You'll have to check what zone you're in for collection days.
Dogs: A license is required. Print one from the counties website and send it in. You'll get the license tag back in the mail. Here is the pet-licensing information link from Luzerne County>>> http://www.luzernecounty.org/living/...mals/licensing
In addition to living here, I assist a local realtor, so I am familiar with what people need to know when relocating. I hope this helps. Have a safe move and welcome back to the area!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 12:05 AM

13 posts, read 44,207 times
Default thanks so much

that was all so helpfull! thank you

Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 PM

29 posts, read 133,251 times
Glad to help out! I hope the weather holds with us until you get moved; we had beautiful sunny weather today and yesterday with temps in the 40's.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilkesBarreAdvocate View Post
Glad to help out! I hope the weather holds with us until you get moved; we had beautiful sunny weather today and yesterday with temps in the 40's.
Speak for yourself! I want a nice Nor'easter to come up the coast just in time for January 15, so I can get a "snow day!" I'd rather be shoveling the Lowe's parking lot than sitting in a three-hour long molecular genetics class. Then again, I went running earlier today in shorts and a t-shirt without getting chills; it was great to put my calves and abs back into action, even though the people driving by were all staring at me like I was nuts! LOL!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,246 times
hi

I am new here....but I want to buy, renovate, and flip!

Just gonna read awhile, but wanted to check in.

My first house....1503 Chew Street in Allentown, PA, is why my username is 1503

I bought that 20 years ago......

I am renting it out, gonna pull out the equity and buy something else to flip.

Question.....

Is Allentown comparable to Scranton>? As far as desirability and economy....

I have to start in a small town with a small budget....but once I get going...the sky is the limit!

Gotta good plan, ready to put it into action.....

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania