Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times

Advertisements

Hi--what is Diane's? Where is it? It sounds like somewere I would be interested in checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Hi--what is Diane's? Where is it? It sounds like somewere I would be interested in checking out.
It's Diane's Deli & Internet Cafe. It's located on South Main Street in Pittston, across the street from Medicap Pharmacy. It looks like a little hole-in-the-wall from the outside, but I've been inside on several times when my friends' band, Generations, had gigs there, and I didn't think it was a dive by any means. This is where Linda works on Thursdays as a tarot reader and is hosting a "New Age Fair" in June. I believe it's right next-door to the apartment building that was damaged in that major fire last week. By "internet cafe" it's not like NYC where there might be built-in laptops at every seat, but there are a couple of PCs tucked on the side. I haven't been there in over a year, so Linda could probably update you if it's been renovated or not.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
Sounds cool. I will have to check that out. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,451 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks Paul for your suggestions. Great Links! My husband's been there twice for the interview last month and he said it reminds him allot of where we live in New Hampshire.

He accepted the program director job at KRZ, Entercomm Communications. From what I have read on these posts, it's not much different than where I live here. We have a bank, a gas station a country store and one traffic light in the center of town. For anything else like grocery stores, etc, I have to travel 20-30 minutes on the highway. We do have an Elementary School and a new Middle School that opened up in 2004.

My only concern is the prejudice and perhaps racism that I have read about on this forum. I'm sorry it has happened to you Paul. Is it really that bad? I'm Cuban, my children from my first marriage are Cuban and Puerto Rican, my children from my second marriage are Cuban, Italian & Irish. Will my daughter be teased for having a last name like Ortiz?

Thanks Again,
Ivett

Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivett View Post
Thanks Paul for your suggestions. Great Links! My husband's been there twice for the interview last month and he said it reminds him allot of where we live in New Hampshire.

He accepted the program director job at KRZ, Entercomm Communications. From what I have read on these posts, it's not much different than where I live here. We have a bank, a gas station a country store and one traffic light in the center of town. For anything else like grocery stores, etc, I have to travel 20-30 minutes on the highway. We do have an Elementary School and a new Middle School that opened up in 2004.

My only concern is the prejudice and perhaps racism that I have read about on this forum. I'm sorry it has happened to you Paul. Is it really that bad? I'm Cuban, my children from my first marriage are Cuban and Puerto Rican, my children from my second marriage are Cuban, Italian & Irish. Will my daughter be teased for having a last name like Ortiz?

Thanks Again,
Ivett

I can just about see KRZ from my house! Awesome! I just did some U.S. Census research between Barrington and Pittston and found them to be quite similar in most aspects. Both cities have roughly 7,000-8,000 residents, both cities are roughly 98% white, non-Hispanic, and both cities aren't far at all from larger cities (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA vs. Rochester/Dover, NH) Economically, Pittston is more depressed, having a median household income that is roughly half that of Barrington's, but also bear in mind that the city proper of Pittston is among the poorest communities in the region. The surrouding inner suburbs are more closely-aligned to Barrington in terms of income (West Pittston, Pittston Township, Laflin, etc.) Also bear in mind that what your husband saw immediately in and around KRZ and Highway 315/I-81/I-476 is three miles from the town proper of Pittston. That particular area where KRZ is located is my hometown of Pittston Township, which is experiencing massive growth in terms of industry (CenterPoint), retail (Pittston Crossings), and newer planned communities (Quail Hill, Horizon Estates, etc.). Pittston itself has seen better days, but a new 100+ unit riverfront condominium/retail project should help breathe new life into the city.

As far as diversity/tolerance issues are concerned, it will be a toss-up. I think our area is becoming increasingly-liberal with each passing year, but we're still not quite where I'd like us to be, considering it's the 21st Century. There's some hostility towards Hispanics in the Hazleton area (as seen on the national news about the illegal immigration brou-ha-has with Mayor Barletta), but people seem to be more accepting in the Greater Pittston area than they are in Hazleton. I can't guarantee that a welcome wagon will be rolled out for you, but I certainly think that you'll have no trouble fitting in and making new friends in the community once they "warm up to you." Hell, Linda, "HomeAgaininWestPittston", was a Wall Street investment banker who moved to town and is finally just starting to settle in and make new friends. It will probably take you a good 4-6 weeks to "break the ice" in town, as we don't see many new residents and are suspicious of unfamiliar faces. I can't even go for a run without having people honking their horns and waving at me because this truly is the type of town where "everyone knows everyone." Prove yourselves as being normal, good-natured people, and you'll be accepted in no time.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM

28 posts, read 103,035 times
Paul,

Please send me the link to the My Space place - I would really like to spread the word about my fair.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,451 times
Thanks again for the real-estate link; we saw a couple we liked and hope to see in a week or so.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAgainInWestPittston View Post
Paul,

Please send me the link to the My Space place - I would really like to spread the word about my fair.

Thanks
Do you have a MySpace? You need to create a profile on there in order to join a group or post bulletins about upcoming events. If you don't have an account yet, then what are you waiting for? All the hip and trendy people are on there; get with the times! LOL! If you ARE on there already, then add me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania