Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!

I was recently inspired by a thread on the Raleigh, NC sub-forum in which a group of 25 local City-Data forum members met at a Starbucks as a "meet-and-greet" of sorts, and I was just wondering if there would be similar interest for something like that in Northeastern Pennsylvania? We have a large following on here from our area as well (Not quite as large as Raleigh though), and I'd love to meet many of you in person!

Any input on the matter? I was considering taking a day of vacation time in August for us all to get together for a potluck picnic lunch and organized activities (volleyball, horseshoes, fishing, etc.) at a place like Frances Slocum State Park near Wilkes-Barre. Since I know a lot of you hail from Pike/Wayne Counties as well, I'd likewise consider a location nearer to Scranton to shorten your commutes (perhaps Nay Aug Park or McDade Park in the city). We could all arrange to bring a specialty side dish of some sort and/or just all chip in $10 each or so to have it professionally-catered by a local restaurant.

The Raleigh group met at Starbucks for coffee and then headed to Red Robin for burgers, but I want us to avoid the cheesy chain places if possible to show our newcomers some of our area's homegrown assets. They had little nametags with their real names and user names on them for easier indentification, and I think it would be great to meet you all in person! Thus far I've only met Chris (ScrantonVideoProductions) and Daniel (WeLuvPA) at a neat little market in the Hill Section of Scranton, as well as Rockyy at Lowe's, but I'd like to meet even more!

Anybody interested? If so, please reply and let me know. If the group remains of an intimate size I might consider reservations at a local eatery (like an Old Forge pizzeria or a downtown Scranton pub), but if the group gets a bit larger, then a park will become more realistic. The only downside is that I think Nay Aug Park's pavillion is already booked solid this summer (I'll have to double-check on that though).

Any other suggestions for sites, activities, foods, etc.? I'd like to welcome families along as well if you chose to bring them (the "DH's" that all of you women refer to them as, for example), and I hope this becomes a great success story and a testament to how wonderful this forum has become!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-12-2007 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
Yes, I would definitely be interested Paul, my DH will get dragged along too! I say, go for the pot luck dinner, is there BBQ facilities there also? Sounds like a great idea! And definitely a state park, it's so much easier than sitting at a table, where you only get to talk to the people you sit near. Like you said, we can mingle and play some games.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
What about us "coming back soon" folks? McDade Park is a great place.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Hey Paul -

Great idea! Equally nice of you to give a shout out to the NC forum. Such a guy! You're my favorite future accountant.

I should be in Pottstown/W-B sometime in Aug, but, as I'll have another foot surgery in 3-wks, no plans are made as of yet. So, I'll steer clear of making suggestions, in the event I may not be in PA. I'm pretty agreeable, so anything that's decided upon is AOK with me! And, you can bet your boots, if I'm there, I'M THERE! I'll probably drag along my mom or one of my nieces. I believe she's still in her goth stage, so alert the others beforehand, lest she startle anyone who's not prepared. No! My niece, not my mom! My mom hasn't dressed goth for 10-yrs now...

I'll keep watching the posts & hopefully can be in attendance. If not, I'll definitely be there in spirit. Thanks for suggesting a meet-up & pulling it all together. It will be alot of fun... VV

Old 05-13-2007, 12:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,839 times
How about a picnic and activities at Lake Wallenpaupack? Isn't that about half way in between Pike/Wayne/Scranton-WB?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm already jealous of your picnic, ScrantonWilkesBarre!

Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
Default yes good idea

intrested just let me know the date, you know me, I should do a comercial for the chamber of commerce of pa,love clarks summit!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM

29 posts, read 112,500 times
That's a great idea. I would love a park so the kids could come and play too! We are moving in a few weeks now and are looking forward to meeting people in the area.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 PM

42 posts, read 192,184 times
yes, count us in!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are 2 adults and 3 kids. I can't suggest an area because we don't know...we move to NEPA in 2 wks.
Paul, you rock! Thanks for always coming up with great ideas!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
I would love to be in...even if we haven't sold the house yet, hubby is there and would love a weekend off from driving hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania