Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 26,032 times

Advertisements

Yes. I did do some customizing and the builders Dom & Deb assisted me throughout the entire project. The end results were perfect. It did not cost additional monies. It truly was a very pleasureable experience. I highly recommend D&D to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
If you want to pay about $80,000 more for a modular over the price of a modular from Shorten!
I'm not saying the homes from D & D aren't beautiful...if I could afford one, I'd go with them in a heartbeat. But you paid the price.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 28,038 times
I have done the numbers and the difference in price is not $80,000. You need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. When comparing the prices make sure you are looking at the "upgrade" you don't see. 2 x 4 construction vs. 2 x 6 construction, 16 inch on center vs. 24 inch on center, snow load 60 lbs. vs. 120 lbs., 6 inch eaves vs. 12 inch eaves. Also if your husband isn't going to do the work what does it cost to sub it out and are you actually going to get a contractor to call you back and finish the job once they start! You are very lucky to have gotten Sam to do the work when you did he is by far one of the best excavators in the area but this past summer he black topped my driveway and it was $9,000 compared to 2 years ago at $3,000 so I'm not sure he would be such a savings right now.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:53 PM

micking....jojoman.....carolann...wv2pa.....

My response was to roxxy who found D & D out of their price range. I was trying to help them out in their particular situation. I have said in many post that D & D sells a beautiful home.

You don't need to join the forum en masses and praise the works of D & D, and defend the construction, quality and service just because you have all heard that someone on this board is claiming Shorten homes are cheaper than D & D homes.

I'm not passing judgement on your house.... I see them all over the place....they are nice, very nice...OK????

Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 PM

936 posts, read 2,396,784 times
Default building in lake ariel

To All Interested in Building in Lake Ariel,
We had another look at D&D and changed our opinion. At first I did not realize what came with the homes with D&D. We were given a high price by a realtor and not the actual sales person. We are happy with our new results and are most probably going to deal with them. The prices are higher than what we originally were planning to spend but we will have a full unfinished basement with a garage and a screened porch and open porch extension. We will also have hardwood floors, which we wanted anyway. Any options that they give you dont have to take and this will bring the price down. So I cannot really reccomend them yet, but I hope I will in the future. If anyone knows anything negative about D&D please send info.
roxxy

Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 PM

roxxy...I don't think you will find a single thing negative about your home from D & D. If the price is OK with you, you will be very happy with your home. I have seen them go up all over The Hideout the past few years. I haven't heard anything bad at all. It's great that you got a better price from the sales person. Their screened in proches are gorgeous also.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
To I Love PA,
Thanks for the reply and the explanation. Would you use Shorten again? Any problems and if so were they resolved? Evidently you can use whom you like with Shorten so did your excavator work with them as far as the foundation layout? I also notice that you said it took only 2 weeks for your house to be built. Thta is really quick. Is that because you went with one of their stock designs or did you customize and they are just very quick? Sorry for all the questions.
I bought a Shorten modular almost 20 years ago, they were wonderful to
work with. I was my own sub-contractor, and there were no problems.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
I bought a Shorten modular almost 20 years ago, they were wonderful to
work with. I was my own sub-contractor, and there were no problems.
Unfortunately, the same people that worked there 20 yrs ago are most likely not there anymore. When Mr Shorten Sr ran the place, it was a class act operation, things have gone donwhill since his son took over.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:57 AM

82 posts, read 317,649 times
Default Which manufacturers does D&D represent?

Wondering who they rep....

Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 AM

253 posts, read 996,614 times
I looked at D&D on Friday, they Rep Pleasant Valley Homes. At least the model on their lot was from PV, not sure if they represent others as well. There was no one from D&D there, one of their realtors showed us the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania