Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:00 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times

Advertisements

I moved here because I wanted to, I live here because I do love the area. BUT, the city needs work and I am willing to invest my time into improving the area. I do not have to wear rose colored glasses to do it. Every area could use improvement.

Doomers, please, you may not choose them to be your friends, but they have issues with the city and take the time to work towards change and are the ones rocking the boat so that the old boys network will have to change. But what about those who disagree with them...make up a name, call them it and they will simply be dismissed as malcontents...well it didn't work, they embraced the term!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
read this horrid stuff... Urban Dictionary: scranton pretty vile!
Haha, that top post was a good laugh.

I don't mind people kvetching about the town; sometimes it's amusing. But I have a hard time believing anyone on this message board *can't* leave.

Unless you can't afford a $40 bus ticket out of town, you're *choosing* to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Awaiting rebuttal from Doomers. Anyone? Anyone?
And, Scran, do you always have to egg them on?? You know you're just going to hear the same ol' woe-is-me tune.. <yawn>

Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Have you ever been to the top of the falls??? dates carved into the rocks from the mid to late 1800's!!
Yes..we used to sit on the escarpment and marvel how beautiful the river and valley looked.....and we also had Coxton Yards.... We chiseled our names up there too....I wonder if they are still visible??? Let's ask ScranBarre...he'll know????.... .

If you follow the stream, there is a second waterfall...not as high but wider...also very beautiful. We picked the Huckleberries up on top of the Falls near the escarpment...we always made a Summer day of it...like in Stand By Me...minus the "body". GOOD TIMES!!! .

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post

I don't mind people kvetching about the town; sometimes it's amusing. But I have a hard time believing anyone on this message board *can't* leave.

Unless you can't afford a $40 bus ticket out of town, you're *choosing* to stay.

And, Scran, do you always have to egg them on?? You know you're just going to hear the same ol' woe-is-me tune.. <yawn>
Although very vile and hateful...I did find :"The Pittston Bypass" definition amusing...Pittston...famous again....LOL.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post

Where are you going with $40.00 on a bus? I can't leave here, i have kids, and grandchildren and i'm not about to leave them. When you get on the bus and go who knows where, where are you working, and living? There happens not be work all over the country, so getting on a bus and going who knows where with no prospects is a stupid thing to do.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:16 AM

267 posts, read 765,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I agree, i wouldn't live here if i didn't have to, it's not a choice i made, it's circumstances that happened in my life. I also don't want to hear from anyone "well then change it", it's not that easy at this time. It would be wonderful if Scranton could be the Norman Rockwell painting that ScranBarre wants it to be, but it won't happen.
Why can't it happen???

Maybe a little less pessimism(people like you) and a little more optimism(people like ScranBarre) things WILL change.

“Having a positive mental attitude is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can't be done.”

Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_D_M View Post
Why can't it happen???

Maybe a little less pessimism(people like you) and a little more optimism(people like ScranBarre) things WILL change.

“Having a positive mental attitude is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can't be done.”
Well it hasn't happened yet, at least 5 or so years ago there were jobs in the area, now there isn't any, business are leaving, seems to be getting worse to me. I don't see anyone sitting on their porch waving at strangers, block parties, people gathering to clean up gutters and storm drains, that's ScranBarre's vision, it's not happening because people are to busy trying to figure out how they are going to make it from day to day. It's a nice vision, but unlikely anytime in the near future.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,203 times
Quote:
Where are you going with $40.00 on a bus? I can't leave here, i have kids, and grandchildren and i'm not about to leave them. When you get on the bus and go who knows where, where are you working, and living? There happens not be work all over the country, so getting on a bus and going who knows where with no prospects is a stupid thing to do.
Sounds like you are making a choice to stay, then.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 AM

267 posts, read 765,482 times
Quote:
Well it hasn't happened yet, at least 5 or so years ago there were jobs in the area, now there isn't any, business are leaving, seems to be getting worse to me. I don't see anyone sitting on their porch waving at strangers, block parties, people gathering to clean up gutters and storm drains, that's ScranBarre's vision, it's not happening because people are to busy trying to figure out how they are going to make it from day to day. It's a nice vision, but unlikely anytime in the near future.
When was the last time you sat on your porch and waved to someone? Maybe they would wave back. Maybe it will catch on. Maybe they will wave to someone else. Talk to your neighbor, set up a time to clean the street. None of this costs money.

It all starts with you

Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
Quote:
Five years ago the country was not in a recession. Today we are in one. There are jobs out there. North Dakota is begging for people to move there because they have over 8K jobs that they currently have open. Texas has been the same way.

I go where the work is even when it means leaving the country for periods of time. I make opportunity possible. Because of that, I have made wonderful friends, have a great job and have many places I can call home. When my company reorganized and I was given East Coast accounts which meant moving back east, I decided to live in Scranton because of the cost of living, family and proximity to NYC. It's a nice place to live and has lots to treasure.

I have worked in third world countries, most recently The Philippines. You would think with the typhoons, flooding, people losing their homes, terrorist and organized crime bombings, and poverty the people would have a bad attitude but they don't. I have not heard one person complain, they always have a smile on their faces, a can-do attitude and they love their country, cities, provinces and villages and they let everyone know it. They help each other out and lend each other a hand. And they are guenuinely friendly to outsiders-I know first hand.

We have discussed this at nauseum. Seattle, Portland, Bismark, NYC, and other cities have been held out as examples of cities that turned themselves around. Scranton can do the same, all it needs is an attitude adjustment with many of it's citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania