Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There are a ton of things that are uniquely PA that you can get:

Perfectly Pennsylvania - unique and high quality gifts products made in Pennsylvania

Good Luck!!!
This helped me out immensely. Thank you Magritte25!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice
Gertrude Hawk Chocolate.
I didn't know it was a local exclusive (they make some tasty stuff. Yum!)

Again, thank you everybody, for the suggestions! Hope you all have a safe, happy and blessed holiday season!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Anthracite Newsstand on the square in Wilkes Barre for years sold small items carved from coal. I don't know if they still do.

I doubt that Mark will be sending beer, but lets not forget the Lion Brewery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Actually.... I gave my Uncle a 400 lb. piece for Christmas once. He's mining artifact collector and it worked well with his collection, funny story too. It's Christmas day and we're all down in his cellar at the bar near this giant hunk of coal and the 4 year old Granddaughter comes down the stairs and spots the coal. Her eyes got as big as saucers and she says in the most serious tone "Whoever got that must have been really, really bad".... It was one of those things I guess you had to be there but everyone just about fell off their chairs laughing.

He could appreciate but I'm sure someone else wouldn't. You can get pieces that have been carved, they are hard to find though. The name escapes me at the moment but Kings College has entire "lectern thingy" in one of their churches where the priest stands that is carved from one solid piece of anthracite.... and it's huge and orante. I know I've seen pieces at Hallmark stores but nothing really exotic. It's peculiar art itself as you really have to know how to work with it and have the right piece of coal.

The end results can be quite spectacular with the right artist, it can be polished to mirror finish. Just make sure it's actually coal, I've seen a lot of stuff that is supposed to look like coal but not even close. It should have a very high glass like shine to it.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
No problem Mark! Hope you find a great PA gift!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I doubt that Mark will be sending beer, but lets not forget the Lion Brewery.
Absolutely, the Lion makes some good brews.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Absolutely, the Lion makes some good brews.

I like Lionshead a lot. Supposedly, it's a "college" beer but it's a good one for me.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I like Lionshead a lot. Supposedly, it's a "college" beer but it's a good one for me.
Its actually not too bad, especially compared to other cheap "college" beers (Natty Light, Milwaukee's Best, Keystone, etc).

Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Default Anthracite Museum Gift Shop

NEPA is best characterized by anthracite mining. I don't think anyone mentioned McDade Park on the Scranton-Taylor border, just minutes from a PA Turnpike exit. I think it is still open now so maybe call ahead. I am not sure what they have but they show coal items that look 'interesting'.

As an aside, the park complete with coal mine tour, is an interesting visit in the summer. The web site also links to some other area historic attractions.

Anthracite Museum Home Page

Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
I always loved the coal candy with the little pick.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,217 times
I'm going to miss Lionshead in chicago :'( <--- Definately in my Top 3 of beers.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I'm going to miss Lionshead in chicago :'( <--- Definately in my Top 3 of beers.
Give me a DM when you're craving one, We'll ship you out a case! I actually have relatives that live in Chicago, and everytime they come in to visit they load up on Middleswarth B-B-Q potato chips, and Abe's Hot Dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania