Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any particular pro or con feeling about living in Stroudsburg? As I mentioned in another post, all I'm looking for is quiet, some nice rural scenery and milder summers/lower humidity than SE PA. E. stroudsburg is probably too noisy as a college town, but perhaps I'm wrong??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 08:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
In general I don't have a positive connotation of The Stroudsburgs through all of my visits there, but as someone who used to live about 45 minutes away near Scranton I also didn't have any "firsthand" experience there as a resident.

Many of the roadways in and around town are narrow and are becoming congested, especially at rush-hour. Aggressive driving is commonplace there (they even had to paint vehicle spacing "dots" on I-80 there as a means to deter tailgating). Monroe County (and its northern neighbor of Pike County) have routinely been two of the state's fastest-growing counties due to their proximity to NYC and Northern NJ's employment centers and comparatively lower housing prices. Stroudsburg has a rather pleasant-looking downtown, but I must have hit it at a bad time during my photo tour attempt a couple of years ago, as I was turned off by the level of aggressive panhandling, litter, and graffiti-tagging I experienced. To me Stroudsburg was starting to feel like "NYC: Lite" with a more stressful and fast-paced atmosphere than one would typically associate from a small PA town. My ex-boyfriend and I (he being an ex-NYC resident himself) dined at the Perkins in Stroudsburg once, and he nudged me not to make it too "obvious" that we were a couple because he saw that two of four of foul-mouthed minorities sitting at the booth across from us were packing concealed weapons. Our trip to the Wal-Mart in Stroudsburg was like a scene out of a horror movie. People not looking before backing out of parking spaces, women cursing in Spanish into their cell phones as their babies cried in their carts, generally disenfranchised employees, etc., etc.

Overall I would NOT list The Stroudsburgs as being a good overall representation of small town life in PA. The area has become an exurb of NYC, and while some of the changes have been positive (greater level of diversity, more shopping/dining options, more educated people with disposable incomes, etc.) there have also been far too many growing pains (gangs, drugs, overcrowded schools, traffic congestion, urban sprawl, etc.) for me to give it a glowing recommendation.

If what you seek is a wholesome small PA town that has still largely been spared the negatives of the NYC influence, then why not scope out Honesdale? That town has one of the most pleasant Main Streets you'll find in the region while still also having a Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart on the fringes of town and being a relatively relaxing 45 minute drive to Scranton for city amenities. You'll be far removed from the I-80 corridor, but I'd imagine you could still get to the city in about 3 hours.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Hey, Paul: How ya been? Are you still a Southern Boy?? Great to hear from you.

Thanks so much for your input here. In my other thread, "Where's my PA?" I had been looking for some peace and quiet when I semi-retire, where I could buy a decent home, preferably non-development, where the summers are less smothering. And I also mentioned proximity to a hospital. Also was hoping for a couple hours drive to the Atlantic, but was pretty much told that that particular criterion was a no go.

Additionally, night life has no importance to me at all, but would like good area services such as police and fire (and I guess well and septic companies as this is an entirely new concept to me).

Looks as though I have a great deal of research to do. the folks here, including yourself, have been very helpful. TAKE CARE!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
E.Stroudsburg is bigger than the college...Have a son and family living in E. Stroudsburg and their neighborhood is quiet, except when the dogs bark at deer and bear...Once you come down off their mountain, traffic is the pits.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hey, Paul: How ya been? Are you still a Southern Boy?? Great to hear from you.

Thanks so much for your input here. In my other thread, "Where's my PA?" I had been looking for some peace and quiet when I semi-retire, where I could buy a decent home, preferably non-development, where the summers are less smothering. And I also mentioned proximity to a hospital. Also was hoping for a couple hours drive to the Atlantic, but was pretty much told that that particular criterion was a no go.

Additionally, night life has no importance to me at all, but would like good area services such as police and fire (and I guess well and septic companies as this is an entirely new concept to me).

Looks as though I have a great deal of research to do. the folks here, including yourself, have been very helpful. TAKE CARE!!!
Hi soulsurv!

Yes, I'm still a "Southern" boy, although these days Virginia has grown so rapidly with an influx of we Yankee transplants that it is probably now the southernmost "Northern" state---none of those adorable Southern accents to be found (darn!)

If what you are looking for is generally a "Mayberry" sort of atmosphere with good public services, a hospital, and relative proximity to the coast, then once again I will recommend Honesdale. It is just tucked far enough away from larger towns and cities to avoid succumbing to urban sprawl-related issues (as has happened to Stroudsburg), but it is still close enough to Scranton or Binghamton so you don't feel quite so horribly isolated. There is a hospital right in town, and crime seems to be generally a non-issue.

Here is a photo tour I did several years ago of Honesdale:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...art-three.html

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
I worked in East Stroudsburg for a while, but never lived in either Stroudsburg. I don't have a positive view of the towns - much like ScanBarre. The areas I visited were dirty, crowded, and the people were rather obnoxious. I absolutely hate the Wal-Mart in Stroudsburg and always drove to Milford instead. There was an attitude that prevailed over the towns, I thought.

I'm sure there are folks who love Stroudsburg though. Hawley and Honesdale are both nice. Milford is too but too expensive, in my opinion.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM

38 posts, read 136,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Anyone have any particular pro or con feeling about living in Stroudsburg? As I mentioned in another post, all I'm looking for is quiet, some nice rural scenery and milder summers/lower humidity than SE PA. E. stroudsburg is probably too noisy as a college town, but perhaps I'm wrong??
The only advice that I can offer you is to come here a couple of times. Take a drive, visit a couple of stores and see it for yourself. Don't take peoples opinions on this site too seriously. Form your own opinion and you'll be surprised how different it can be from some of the folks on here.

It's really not as bad as it's made to seem. Good Luck !

Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
I, too, found the people in Stroudsburg rather obnoxious but maybe me and peppermint caught folks on bad days. I was trying to decide whether to try the Walmart in Stroudsburg or Milford. I visited Milford once and felt a better vibe there so I think Milford Walmart it is. I don't particularly think Stroudsburg is a bad place. I think it still is going thru growing pains. I just moved to Pike County so I need more experiences to give a more seasoned opinion.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 2,565 times
I was once, home owner in Pike county and had investment property in Monroe County Stroudsburg. I sold it all when I retired 2005. Main reason for selling The house in Pike County: taxes were astronomical, 5 grand a year and the county had nothing to offer for your tax dollar. Beautiful mountain living, but traffic and distance between stores were a PITA. We dreaded going down the mountain on weekends, due to the horrific traffic. Not to mention that most properties are in a HOA therefore you are stuck paying HOA dues that can go as high as the Association decide.

Monroe county taxes back then were not high. I would also not choose Stroudsburg to live, traffic there is also horrible. It was great for investment rental property and it could still be the same way now.

Just watch the HOA and get all the facts before you buy into one and what do they have to offer for the yearly dues.. Most sales agent will tell you that HOA is paid only once, but conveniently neglect to tell you that you have to pay HOA once a year for as long as you own.

The good thing, you have more employment opportunities if you commute to NJ OR NY, and the mountains and country life and the fresh air is wonderful.

At the moment I am Florida and I love it but, hubby hates it. We are presently looking for summer house in Scranton. My son moved to Scranton 3 years ago and now that he is married, is nice being around them more often.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:56 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times
Stroudsburg is nice, but isn't it closer to being part of ABE/LV than NEPA?

ScranBarre, NoVA is not the southernmost "Northern" state. That would be Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania