Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well if one thing we have established it's not a cougar.

You must not have had a lot of time around cats. I have owned and have had friends that have had plenty of housecats 15-25 pounds and that come up well past the knee.

Also light and distance can play a role in misjudging weight and size.
The distance from the window was not far at all......
I have spent my whole life around cats and dogs......
Some huge cats. None coming up to my knee......Oh that is too funny LOL
Even the Lhasa at 18lbs nor the Bichon at 35 lbs came up to our knees...
Not unless standing on their back legs to jump on us......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
I've had many cats over the years, hundreds upon hundreds due to my rescue work and have at present a few cats 20 lbs or better. One is so tall he can reach across the kitchen counter when standing on his back legs. Still, his shoulders do not reach my knee when he is on all four feet. The cat I saw was not of the domestic type and the only person that could make that mistake might be Mr Magoo!
Waneroo, do you think, perhaps, there could be some big cats out there that you are not aware of because they didn't receive the memo that said they need to report to you directly?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,029 times
Im just going to clear this up right now. Summering the truth is that your claim may be liable, but it is exceptionally rare to come across a melanistic bobcat. There have been twelve ever recorded. The population is somewhere around 3,000 here in PA. That will eventally fall now that our rogue game commission has made a bone-headed decision and opened up a season during their mating period. These animals are primarily nocturnal and are very elusive. If there is one chillin in your back yard and you live in the suburbs then that would most likely be an abandoned domesticated bobcat. There are hardly any bobcats left in the southeast so whoever said that must have meant southwest. What you should do is delete this entire forum and keep you mouth shut about this. Tell the world and some ignorant billy bob with a ford flying a rebel flag and a hog for a girlfriend (lol and I know you guys are in hear) will try to trap it.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Chuckacabra???? ;-]

LMAO!!!! pretty p poor spelling, heyna or no??

Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
LMAO!!!! pretty p poor spelling, heyna or no??
That's OK, John. I entertained myself into a giggle with it, and such lovely memories of the 60s and 70s came into my mind.

Edited to add.....of course those memories are only from the film footage I've seen.....not that I'm old enough to have chucked a bra......<snark>.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I've had many cats over the years, hundreds upon hundreds due to my rescue work and have at present a few cats 20 lbs or better. One is so tall he can reach across the kitchen counter when standing on his back legs. Still, his shoulders do not reach my knee when he is on all four feet. The cat I saw was not of the domestic type and the only person that could make that mistake might be Mr Magoo!
Waneroo, do you think, perhaps, there could be some big cats out there that you are not aware of because they didn't receive the memo that said they need to report to you directly?
Thank Goodness for you J5K ............Someone who saw a rare cat also.
Thank you for your kindness and understanding. Most of all thank you for reporting that!.......It was important to many living in our general area.

I'm fine with the fact if the thread gets closed.

I was reporting what my girls saw. Rare yes, unusual...yes.
Strange, odd, surreal...........all those things. Hard to believe...sure, that too.

To say it was a domestic cat, when they are not the size they conveyed,
would be way off the mark. We have rescued dogs and cats we know their sizes.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j5k5ly View Post
i've had many cats over the years, hundreds upon hundreds due to my rescue work and have at present a few cats 20 lbs or better. One is so tall he can reach across the kitchen counter when standing on his back legs. Still, his shoulders do not reach my knee when he is on all four feet. The cat i saw was not of the domestic type and the only person that could make that mistake might be mr magoo!
waneroo, do you think, perhaps, there could be some big cats out there that you are not aware of because they didn't receive the memo that said they need to report to you directly?
roflmfao!!!

Exactly!! Unless a wild animal is in a cage, it can't be "contained" & there's ALWAYS the possibility it will roam. Hell, a friend of mine in Poughkeepsie NY had a MOOSE in their neighborhood!!! (though I'm not sure if that's considered a "confirmed" sighting even though multiple pix were taken of it by multiple people...)

Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Border crossing and parental consent slips must be presented at all PA borders before any animals may enter the state...though, unfortunately, that didn't apply to the animals from NY city's ghettos that are already here

Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
Uh oh DavidWebb- are we going back to the Pocono Country Place discussion? I saw some really strange animals around there!!! LOL!!!!
Glad ya got a laugh, JG and Summering- no prob. I know what I saw.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Hey, J5K5LY...you caught that!! But it's true!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania