Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
It figures...I didn't know said poster lived in Florida...and... . I do not interact in the Florida or Sarasota forum...you can guess why?
Well, to be fair I think the annoyingly dominant Type A personalities are now infecting numerous forums, not just Sarasota. This forum, as I said in another thread, has gone far downhill from its peak. The NoVA sub-forum has many upper-middle-class housewives just sitting and waiting to pounce on anyone who doesn't think the area is all "sunshine and puppies" because then the negative publicity threatens their "bubble" housing values. I was even shocked (and admittedly amused) to find that some of the traditional rah-rah gasbags on the Charlotte and NC forums were turning on each other recently. I think with how depressed and stressed many people are right now it's just begun to carry over to our Internet relationships as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:15 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well, to be fair I think the annoyingly dominant Type A personalities are now infecting numerous forums, not just Sarasota. This forum, as I said in another thread, has gone far downhill from its peak. The NoVA sub-forum has many upper-middle-class housewives just sitting and waiting to pounce on anyone who doesn't think the area is all "sunshine and puppies" because then the negative publicity threatens their "bubble" housing values. I was even shocked (and admittedly amused) to find that some of the traditional rah-rah gasbags on the Charlotte and NC forums were turning on each other recently. I think with how depressed and stressed many people are right now it's just begun to carry over to our Internet relationships as well.
I hope you are correct. We are proud we helped clean asphalt off of that many bricks and relaid the street with the original, 1920's ones. Our neighborhood is trying to convince the city to restore the old brick roads in all our old neighborhoods and this is about the city's oldest; it adds charm, slows traffic, cuts down on maintenance costs and most importantly improves drainage.

I must say I saw no "rich retirees"...cleaning bricks with hammers (physically working hard and getting filthy)..... usually those would be mutually exclusive.

I was caught "off guard" by the earlier, nasty post....but I guess I hit the LOTTO and didn't get the phone call yet. PS.....People here are generally very real-estate orientated also, and I understand what you mean. .

Old 12-26-2009, 12:15 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

That is the exact opposite of Scranton, anyone here who says the city is all "sunshine and puppies" might get punched. Unlike the people there, people here don't really care about their housing value or the way the city is perceived by others on the outside.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
PITTSTON2SARASOTA, in my 10 years in Florida, all the Sarasota people I met were mostly retired people from the NE that just whined about not being able to watch the Red Sox or Yankees and how we need income tax or something. If some how I personally offended you, I apologize. It was not my intention.

Back to OP, its great that someone in NEPA or anywhere provides meals for 1000s who would otherwise go without. Good for them!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:07 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
PITTSTON2SARASOTA, in my 10 years in Florida, all the Sarasota people I met were mostly retired people from the NE that just whined about not being able to watch the Red Sox or Yankees and how we need income tax or something. If some how I personally offended you, I apologize. It was not my intention.

Back to OP, its great that someone in NEPA or anywhere provides meals for 1000s who would otherwise go without. Good for them!
.....The folks you describe are not "liked by us either". But there are many nice, earthy, eclectic and "poor" people in this particular neighborhood and we are proud of what we accomplished; remember somebody has to do the actual work here(taking care of...rich retirees etc.) and that's us. The city is very demographically stratified as you know...but we're at the "short end of the stick". .

PEACE on EARTH.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:36 PM

82 posts, read 145,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have always given props to Bob Bolus for his generosity in providing Christmas dinner on Christmas Day for anyone, regardless of any social or economic situation...This is not his first time...

Mr. Bolus understands the meaning of sharing with a full heart and every year, he gives of himself to help others enjoy their holiday celebration...That is indeed a positive in a city that has others if one keeps looking...
Good for Bob Bolus,I listened to Kevin,he does the am show on 103 he was bashin Bolus saying he was an ex convict he hides behind this party!You dont see any political figures throwing a party for hungry people or you dont even see them helping I believe he may be a lil off the wall but he has been doing this for years and I give him his props.Good on ya Bob maybe some of the scranton politicos should step back and take a look,But we know they wont because they are for themselves.again Good for you Bob!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the facts View Post
Good for Bob Bolus,I listened to Kevin,he does the am show on 103 he was bashin Bolus saying he was an ex convict he hides behind this party!You dont see any political figures throwing a party for hungry people or you dont even see them helping I believe he may be a lil off the wall but he has been doing this for years and I give him his props.Good on ya Bob maybe some of the scranton politicos should step back and take a look,But we know they wont because they are for themselves.again Good for you Bob!
That Kevin is a tool and so is Corbert. I tried listening to both of them and they are both horrible radio personalities. Kevin is a radical lefty and Corbert is an old hippie who can't speak right.

Bob has been doing this for 15 years and I think it's very cool. What does Doherty or any other public figure do in this town to help people?............

Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
And the politically connected in Scranton like to label Bolus as some sort of wack job, when in reality, the guy is a successful businessman who does more for the people of this area than Chris Doherty or any other political hack in this city could even dream of doing.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
That Kevin is a tool and so is Corbert. I tried listening to both of them and they are both horrible radio personalities. Kevin is a radical lefty and Corbert is an old hippie who can't speak right.

Bob has been doing this for 15 years and I think it's very cool. What does Doherty or any other public figure do in this town to help people?............
Kevin Lynn is horrible...what a miserable nasty person he is. Corbett doesn't bother me as much...I disagree with him a lot, and he does have a tendency to talk down and cut off callers who disagree with him, but there are at least times when I do agree with Corbett...he at least is outraged by the corruption in this area. I can safely say I've never agreed with Kevin on anything.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
That is the exact opposite of Scranton, anyone here who says the city is all "sunshine and puppies" might get punched. Unlike the people there, people here don't really care about their housing value or the way the city is perceived by others on the outside.
It's a shame people don't understand Pennsylvanians. A short study of US history provides a clue. Our country's Constitution was based on the ideals of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvanians embrace individual liberty. They're not the type of people to tell their neighbors how to keep their houses. And they think they have a pretty good thing going here. There's no need to entice others by tooting their horns. Why let outsiders come here and change these precious core values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania