Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Hamlin! Greentown!

Too far for even the hardiest of commuter's

Agreed. That area is much nicer. Perhaps I just hit Stroudsburg on a bad day? Maybe Tuesdays are just the days when all of the crackheads from the city get off the bus in town to badger people? That "Evening on Main" event looked pretty interesting; I might return to town to check it out with a friend or two.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-22-2007 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I spent a day in Stroudsburg two years ago and it seemed like a nice little town with the usual problems... but maybe it has gotten worse. We ate at the Everybody's Cafe and the food was great! Very veggie friendly place!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I spent a day in Stroudsburg two years ago and it seemed like a nice little town with the usual problems... but maybe it has gotten worse. We ate at the Everybody's Cafe and the food was great! Very veggie friendly place!

I actually parked in front of the Everybody's Cafe, and I saw a friendly-looking older man sweeping the front porch. Perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh on the town, but all I know is that being hit up for money three times while walking the main drag and then seeing both the shattered windows and graffiti on nearby Sarah Street turned my stomach sour. Sure, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre have their fair share of problems as well, but they're MUCH larger than Stroudsburg (pop. 6,000).

Old 05-22-2007, 03:17 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Red face Not all the bad ones are New Yorkers either

Just a point, there are scum from every State of the Nation. New York has its bunch of nasties but so does every place else. Please don't stereotype the New York folks. I for one grew up in New York, (Queens) then lived in Jersey and Florida. There are plenty of lowlifes that are Florida natives, believe me.
I am not a bum or a gang member. I don't burn down buildings, trash a place or rob people. I on the other hand, love to see pretty houses, plant flowers, pick up trash if I see it along the road etc.
Please remember that there is good in every state too!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
We took a 'snoop' drive through town when we were in the area on Mother's Day. Everybody's Cafe' was packed! The Irish place looked interesting, and there were several bistro tables in use late that afternoon. Beyond that, I didn't see much that seemed interesting. We didn't leave the car for a stroll though.

SWB, I very much enjoy your 'pictours'!! (Clever...ain't I?!? ) I think I may have mentioned that before. ...about the pictours that is. I wouldn't mind taggin' along with you on one of your trips sometime. I'll drive...you can shoot. Of course, I stop at antique shops and shoe sales...would that be OK? We can keep a shoe sale spreadsheet for Kittens.

Seems that I'm not only leaving DE to move to NEPA, but I'll soon have a condo on the market in York as well. I think I'm on overload!!! I'm in York now and will be heading back up to the lake tomorrow. I'm too old for this much chaos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 PM

19 posts, read 80,002 times
I know exactly where you were......by the fad haircutting/barber salon. Yes, sometimes there are some characters out there. I haved lived here for 3 years. I am frankly tired of the bad rap and the NY comparisons. Every town has a part that is less than favorable. Have you looked at Scranton, Camelback, Mt. Pocono? Yes the police are out, and doing something about it. Its unfortunate there were 2 fires from idiots on Main St. in the past few years, but the town has rebuilt the buildings and the atmosphere in Stroudsburg is quite quaint. I have no problem walking down Main St. especially on a Sat. to the farmers market, or to St. Lukes for mass.......A Starbucks is opening in town soon as well......

Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thanks. I just wish I didn't feel so "threatened" while I was there. The town looked very nice, but I didn't want to hang around much longer and risk turning down one of the beggars who asked me for money and having him mug me instead. I didn't see a single fellow tourist strolling that street, even though it was a sunny, beautiful day. Why? The images I have in my mind of Stroudsburg from a few years ago were much, much more positive. The town looks very nice, but it just didn't feel "safe" to me with all those crazies strolling about.
The only place you seemed to miss is the Willowtree Inn Restaurant......
Its so charming.....and you eat outside in good weather back by the river with the huge, huge willow overhead. Inside is also nice, full of windows......It is an old home that was done over. By Ann St. or on Ann street forgetting.........You did good with the town pix.
I use to love to walk the town........things changed slowly......
The city came into Stroudsburg.......after 9/11.......before that everything was quiet and calm.......very sad with what happened.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:01 PM

17 posts, read 54,964 times
Default corning, ny

Is it possible that you have been to a town called Corning, NY? I am thinking of moving back up north after living in congest fl for too long. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Looking at those photos again SWB, and reminding myself what a great job you do to bring the Poconos to life.
Some of those stores are really looking improved from past years.
We use to take the twins as babies to the YMCA in the winter for them to learn to swim, it was a great program.......
There is also a family swim day in one of the school pools, in the evening hours.
Our favorite restaurant for dinners and lunch is the one on Ann Street, an old home made into a restaurant on the river. Love it there.........and also getting to eat leisurely outside.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM

223 posts, read 796,089 times
I've never been in the center of Stroudsburg, but now I feel as if I've spent an afternoon there. Fantastic photos, just gorgeous! I'm going to refer them to a friend who is looking at this area. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania