U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:52 PM

31,630 posts, read 72,029,908 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I know I promised you all a great new photo tour of Stroudsburg, but I began to feel concerned for my own safety after a little while and decided to head back into my car after snapping just 19 photos and headed back to do a photo tour of Moscow instead. Sorry! I started off ambitious---not even a major traffic tie-up on I-80 near Tannersville could curb my enthusiasm. However, several incidents back-to-back within five minutes of each other made me feel uncomfortable, and I decided it would be in the best interest of my own personal safety if I left town. The town's main drag had at least a half-dozen chain-smoking derelicts hanging out and about, two of whom ran up to me and begged, in NY accents, "Yo buddy, got a buck for bus fare?" After declining both I just felt as if their eyes were still staring daggers into the back of my head in disgust. After quickly reaching the end of Main Street where it intersects at another busy intersection near a poorly-placed KFC, I had to wait nearly five minutes to cross the congested artery. I then headed back up to the rear of Main Street along a street called "Sarah Street." That road started off looking promising, with a neat little grille hidden away from the maddening crowd, but that soon turned sour as I saw another building down the road that had its windows shattered onto the sidewalk and then observed what I recognized to be gang-related graffiti on the next building. I began to cross Sarah Street en route back to Main Street when I was nearly hit by a large SUV driven by a woman on a cell phone who didn't bother to signal when she made a turn onto the street (probably another New Yorker). I snapped a few more photos of Main Street before being hit up for money a THIRD time! It was at this point I thought to myself "I want nothing to do with a dump like this," and I promptly went back to my car and high-tailed it out of town (only to get caught up in another backlog on I-80 westbound).

What the hell has happened to Downtown Stroudsburg in the few years since I was last there? Today I observed the remnants of several arson fires, vagrants and beggars, gang-related graffiti, inconsiderate drivers, and shady-looking characters just loitering around. All this for a town of just 6,000? I felt safer doing my Wilkes-Barre photo tour than I felt walking around Stroudsburg! I actually thought I was going to cry when I got back into my car because I never wanted to believe the horror stories others had told me in the past about Stroudsburg being "Little NYC." Yep...it's true! I was never so turned-off to a town in my life as I was with Stroudsburg, and I REFUSE to make a second return trip there for another photo tour. I've heard that East Stroudsburg is much better than Stroudsburg due to the presence of the university there, so perhaps I could have checked out that town instead.

What is wrong with you people in Monroe County? How could you allow your "hub" city to be overtaken by the lowlives like that? I had a terrible experience today, and it's enough to make me say "If that is what happens when the New Yorkers take over, then please stay out of Scranton!" After visiting Lewisburg and Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg was like visiting The Bronx! YIKES!

Nevertheless, here are the 19 photos I was able to snap before I fled town out of fear of the vagrants and shady characters. The town looked as if it used to be so much cleaner and much more vibrant too---what a bloody shame. If you want me to return for a better photo tour, then tell your bums to keep to themselves and to get the hell away from me! At least the bums who hit me up in both Pittston and Wilkes-Barre are friendly.

What must it be like to wander around this street alone at night?

The site of one of the town's many recent arsons.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-22-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Typo
Rate this post positively

Old 05-22-2007, 12:54 PM

422 posts, read 1,921,555 times
VERY NICE!!!! Well done!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
VERY NICE!!!! Well done!!!
Thanks. I just wish I didn't feel so "threatened" while I was there. The town looked very nice, but I didn't want to hang around much longer and risk turning down one of the beggars who asked me for money and having him mug me instead. I didn't see a single fellow tourist strolling that street, even though it was a sunny, beautiful day. Why? The images I have in my mind of Stroudsburg from a few years ago were much, much more positive. The town looks very nice, but it just didn't feel "safe" to me with all those crazies strolling about.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:22 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,994,840 times
That irish bar has great food. Its called Siamsa and we went there last year on the way back from the Flea Market.

The hotel ; Best Western ; I wouldnt stay there again.

You did a great job.
dorothy

Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
That irish bar has great food. Its called Siamsa and we went there last year on the way back from the Flea Market.

The hotel ; Best Western ; I wouldnt stay there again.

You did a great job.
dorothy
That Irish Bar looked quite inviting, as did the Sarah Street Grill. The Best Western did look a bit "dated" and in need of some upgrading.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 PM

37,798 posts, read 67,450,368 times
Sorry you had a lousy time, but your pictures are good. The downtown looks kinda sketchy; to feel that uncomfortable in broad daylight is simply awful. The powers that be should be ashamed.

Quote:
poorly-placed KFC
This made me LMAO! Ever seen a well-placed KFC?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

934 posts, read 2,723,019 times
SWB, I can't believe you traveled so far to do a photo shoot! You are something, kiddo Glad you didn't get hurt while you were there. It's a shame that things are going down hill in that town. What a shame.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sorry you had a lousy time, but your pictures are good. The downtown looks kinda sketchy; to feel that uncomfortable in broad daylight is simply awful. The powers that be should be ashamed.
Agreed. The downtown didn't really look "sketchy;" it was actually quite nice. I liked the streetlights, the landscaping, and the way most of the historic architecture was well-preserved. The people hanging out around town were the "sketchy" ones who made me feel uncomfortable strolling the streets. Asking a college student for bus far? GET A FREAKIN' JOB OR GO BACK TO NEW YORK! Add to that the smashed windows and graffiti tagging I saw along Sarah Street, and that just soured my day. I would expect this in a larger city like Scranton, but I even felt safer in that city of 70,000+ as opposed to this tiny hamlet of 6,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This made me LMAO! Ever seen a well-placed KFC?
Very true. LOL! KFC doesn't bother me if it's out in the suburban strip mall areas, but it drives me insane to see them in the middle of historic downtown areas.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
SWB, I can't believe you traveled so far to do a photo shoot! You are something, kiddo Glad you didn't get hurt while you were there. It's a shame that things are going down hill in that town. What a shame.
Thanks. For all I know the town could have always been that way; I just never remembered the amount of vagrants and bums frolicking about before when I was there several years ago with my ex. It's actually a pretty town if you don't take the urban "nuances" like the graffiti tags, broken windows, arson rubble, and beggars into consideration.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,240,069 times
Hamlin! Greentown!

Too far for even the hardiest of commuter's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania