Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 14,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
what academy are you referring to? i didnt hear about that.

The Academy.. IF YOU WENT THERE you would certainly know what the academy was... there is only one academy.

Would you like a link to the article too? Right out of the pocono record? Let me get that for you.

Two Pocono Mountain students die unexpectedly | PoconoRecord.com

oh and heres the article about Mike Lacey

Pocono Mountain West valedictorian killed in Route 940 crash | PoconoRecord.com

My recommendation to anyone thinking of moving to the poconos; DO NOT DO IT. If you live here, look into the private schools around. This district is not a friendly one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 AM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
Bravo AddyBunny..why do people continuously "sugar coat" the problem in the Poconos..that's why it got
so out of hand to begin with....No one wanted to believe there were gangs, problems, drugs, etc. of if
they did, they put their heads in the "sand"...you were there and knew first hand what went on. Hopefully with a strong Parent Teacher association ( I assume they have one) they can turn things around. and maybe with all these foreclosures, these sewer "rats" can run back where they came from.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM

159 posts, read 457,922 times
That is a disturbing story of the 2 teen deaths back in March of 2009. The article was very vague and left out many details. Death by methadone? Where did they get it? Did they take it together? Something is being covered up there and it's very poor reporting. Very sad.

The Pocono problem was created by the marketing pitches of the real estate developers. We all remember the ads on the radio and in the papers that you can "live in the poconos and work in NY. Just 90 minutes away." Working parents are gone all day and arrive back home later in the evening, leaving the teens unsupervised all day. This leads to trouble.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 AM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
And to add to it there were many parents who left the kids entirely alone ALL WEEK and came home only
on weekends..they knew the kids would get to school via the school bus, so no worry there and they
stocked up the food supply on weekends when they were home..Sad, very sad...no supervision at all.
and we wonder why these kids barely make through high school..

Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
People flock to the Poconos because it's where they know - and yes because others from home have moved there. They may have vacationed there and had a good time. But a resort is a lot different from everyday life.
Sometimes I think people have to think "outside the box" When we first thought of moving to PA we briefly checked out the Poconos. But we wanted an older home in an established place.
I personally think that "new houses' have some powerful lure over people that escapes me.
I am sick of suburban sprawl. I love to walk and it will be nice to be able to actually walk someplace.
I have not heard great things about PMWest High School either.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Bravo AddyBunny..why do people continuously "sugar coat" the problem in the Poconos..that's why it got
so out of hand to begin with....No one wanted to believe there were gangs, problems, drugs, etc. of if
they did, they put their heads in the "sand"...you were there and knew first hand what went on. Hopefully with a strong Parent Teacher association ( I assume they have one) they can turn things around. and maybe with all these foreclosures, these sewer "rats" can run back where they came from.
o.o I try not to sugar coat the truth. You are right, there is a gang problem, and because it is so secluded, teens look to sex, drugs, and alcohol to fill their time. I am a teen myself, 16 years old, and I have been able to avoid these things, and maintain my virginity and I don't use drugs or drink, but, I am rare among the others on this mountain. I don't have a single friend who can say they haven't tried drugs or other things of the sort.

It makes sense; if teens don't have constructive ways to occupy their time, they will look to drugs, alcohol, sex, gangs, and vandalism. There is nothing around here for us to do, for miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGUNNY View Post
That is a disturbing story of the 2 teen deaths back in March of 2009. The article was very vague and left out many details. Death by methadone? Where did they get it? Did they take it together? Something is being covered up there and it's very poor reporting. Very sad.

The Pocono problem was created by the marketing pitches of the real estate developers. We all remember the ads on the radio and in the papers that you can "live in the poconos and work in NY. Just 90 minutes away." Working parents are gone all day and arrive back home later in the evening, leaving the teens unsupervised all day. This leads to trouble.
The article is sad and very vague. There are so many people here from New York and New Jersey, and many of my friends rarely see their parents. Actually, forms and such that have to be turned into the school, are actually given extensions, because teachers and administration are aware that many students don't see their parents for weeks at a time. As I said in the above response, lack of things to do lead to bad things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
People flock to the Poconos because it's where they know - and yes because others from home have moved there. They may have vacationed there and had a good time. But a resort is a lot different from everyday life.
Sometimes I think people have to think "outside the box" When we first thought of moving to PA we briefly checked out the Poconos. But we wanted an older home in an established place.
I personally think that "new houses' have some powerful lure over people that escapes me.
I am sick of suburban sprawl. I love to walk and it will be nice to be able to actually walk someplace.
I have not heard great things about PMWest High School either.
My hometown is Easton, in the lehigh valley. I LOVED the suburbs. The poconos are very much country, and very distanced and secluded. I can't walk anywhere; without a car, you can't go anywhere.

I work for a resort, Chestnut Grove it's called. I meet a lot of people who come up here for vacationing, and get absorbed by the excellent tourist location, and think living here is just as fun. Unfortunately, tourist locations are expensive; when you are vacationing you expect to spend a lot of money, when you live here, you can't afford that kind of fun. I talk to a lot of guests at the resort about the daily life living here, in comparison to the resort life. Most don't realize the major difference.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:44 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyBunny View Post
The Academy.. IF YOU WENT THERE you would certainly know what the academy was... there is only one academy.

Would you like a link to the article too? Right out of the pocono record? Let me get that for you.

Two Pocono Mountain students die unexpectedly | PoconoRecord.com

oh and heres the article about Mike Lacey

Pocono Mountain West valedictorian killed in Route 940 crash | PoconoRecord.com

My recommendation to anyone thinking of moving to the poconos; DO NOT DO IT. If you live here, look into the private schools around. This district is not a friendly one.
I do not know why you are yelling at me about the academy. BTW there is another academy, Colonial Academy in Wind Gap.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I do not know why you are yelling at me about the academy. BTW there is another academy, Colonial Academy in Wind Gap.
Yeah and there is a Moravian Academy in Bethlehem, that doesn't mean that has anything to do with the Pocono Mountain School District, which this thread is about.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:36 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyBunny View Post
Yeah and there is a Moravian Academy in Bethlehem, that doesn't mean that has anything to do with the Pocono Mountain School District, which this thread is about.
Pocono Mountain SD does send students to Colonial Academy in Wind Gap.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Pocono Mountain SD does send students to Colonial Academy in Wind Gap.
But its not under their jurisdiction; its not part of their district.

PMSD > Home

Go to that sight and look at the schools in the schools tab. THE ONLY academy there is the Pocono Mountain Academy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania