Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 PM

51 posts, read 330,769 times

Advertisements

HI,
I am interested in hearing opinions and experiences on the schools in Tobyhanna Pa which is part of the Mt Pocono school district.My children would be going to Coolbaugh learning center for kindergarten this fall.

I have not read great things about the safety of children there and overheard people talking about the children not being well educated there.

Any thoughts appreciated as I HAVE A BIG DECISION TO MAKE !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,076 times
School District Map

http://www.grantrealty.com/pages/schooldistricts.html

CEC (coolblaugh Elementary Center) is part of the POCONO MOUNTAIN SCHOOL DISTRICT --need to get the name straight. Its a very good elementary school. The high school is the West Campus which gets bad reviews. My opinion is because of the "bad seeds" in Pocono Country Place gated development that attend that.

My kids are in Pocono Mountain S.D. but we go to PEC Pocono Elementary center. We are the East campus.

Check out www.pmsd.org

Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the info .
Just courious,How do you know that it is a excellent school?
I was told by a friend that the entire school district failed a spontaneous / secret security test.I confirmed this with the Asst superintendant .If I remember correctly it was Ms Elizabeth Robinson who I spoke to.
I also compared the K cirriculum with the Riverside school district(Moosic) and have found that Riverside is much advanced.Yes, they do have fullday there.Any thoughts on the cirriculum here?
I agree that there are alot of bad seeds in PCP,being so close to them we see alot more then others. I guess the parents are working and traveling alot.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,076 times
My opinion is based on three friends who have children in the school and they do not have any major complaints, thus far.

MOOSIC--advanced---hahhahaahhah. Moosic is the most boring town to live in, I don't know about their schools, but the town is blah.

No schools are perfect, but if you are an involved parent, you can make a difference.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 PM

mollyme,I should have you talk to my wife.
you two would talk all night.Did you ever live in Moosic?
We own a home here in Pocono farms and in Moosic as well.Being a native NewYorker I have found both places very boring,which is not always a bad thing.Honestly the community of Moosic does offer much more activities for children through out the year,does have a better rated school system less crime and no PCP.I would of continued to live there if I did not need the extra room for my ill father that my Tobyhanna homes offers.At any rate I have many neighbors who have children In CEC,there are many mixed reviews that is why I would like to hear others opinions.

Thanks for the input

Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 PM

30 posts, read 148,108 times
I can't speak for the grade schools but my son went to the junior high and both the east campus and west campus of the high schools. He was in his junior yr when the west campus opened. There must be a good reason that they built the police station next to it, ya think? I might be the only one to say this- but building that west campus was nothing but segregation. It isolated the Mt Pocono area and Tobyhanna.
I, personally, would avoid any schools in that area. I was unfortunate enough to live in PCP for about 9 yrs and I drove my son back and forth to school every day, as my job was nearby and my hours were about the same. He took the bus about 3 times and that was it. It was a nightmare.
Thank God I am out of there!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
My ex-boyfriend lives in Pocono Farms and is a 2003 product of Pocono Mountain-West High School. He didn't speak very highly of it, and he also frequently made reference to the "undesirable" types who hailed from
A Pocono Country Place. He said he knew for certain of a few ex-NYC gang members who attended school there. For what it's worth, I'm not understanding why all of you NYC/NJ transplants are flooding into the "sketchy" Pocono Mountain School District when the North Pocono School District is just 15 minutes up I-380 and is in a much better league. What's so abhorrent about the Moscow area to you transplants?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:50 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Paul, as far as transplants go, they seem to jut flock to where their friends and families have gone. When I moved here to Lake Ariel, I had known for 10 years that I didn't want to stay on Long Island, but with 2 weeks vacation a year, it was hard to explore other possibilities (and that was before I had the internet!) So, when my Aunt and Uncle retired here and my parents followed, we were anxious to check out the area. We fell in love with right away, but when I think back, I honestly didn't have much of a clue as to what I was getting myself into. I went and visited the elementary school, but didn't have any idea how their state test scores were or how the HS was. I just went by my gut feeling and what I saw.
I do not regret moving here for a minute, but I can see how people end up in a place and then find out the less desirable points of the area.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 8,011 times
LIKE EVERY PLACE YOU GO ,THINGS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM TO BE...ALTHOUGHT P.C.P. HAS A BAD NAME, IT IS NOT THE ONLY PLACE THAT HAS PROBLEMS. WHEN WE FRIST MOVED HERE NOT TO LONG AGO, WE WERE UNAWARE OF THE CRIME, AND HOW EASY IT WAS TO GET INTO TROUBLE. MY CHILDREN LEARNED FAST, AND HARD. WE WANTED A CHANGE, WE NEEDED TO GET AWAY FROM LIFE IN THE CITY,WE BELIVED THIS WOULD BE BETTER. IT'S WORK KEEPING CHILDREN OUT OF TROUBLE , YOU CAN NOT TRUN YOUR BACK ON THEM, NOT FOR ONE MINUITE.BUT AS A PARENT YOU NEED TO DO YOUR #1 JOB AND THAT IS KEEPING YOUR CHILDREN SAFE, THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE. i BELIEVE THE SCHOOL DISTRICT DOES THERE BEST IN KEEPING THE CHILDREN IN LINE IN SCHOOL, DOES IT NEED INPROVEMENT? ABSOLUTLY !! BUT AS A PARENT YOU NEED TO DO YOUR PART, DON'T LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN HOME ALONE. LOOK FOR POSIVTIVE THINGS FOR THEM TO DO. STAY INVOLVED WITH THEM, LOOK OUT FOR THEM THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW ,YES IT IS TRUE THAT PEOPLE HAVE TO WORK, BUT SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE. ALL WILL BE WELL IF YOU REMEMBER YOU ARE THE PARENT... GOOD LUCK AND MUCH LOVE.....

Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post

MOOSIC--advanced---hahhahaahhah. Moosic is the most boring town to live in, I don't know about their schools, but the town is blah.

The town is blah? For a small town in NEPA, I would say Moosic has quite a bit, seeing that a majority of the Montage Mountain developments are in Moosic....the Yankees, Cinemark, restaurants, the Shoppes at Montage, etc.

Its too bad they ripped up the mountain and couldn't have put those things in Scranton, but to say there is nothing in Moosic is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania