Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:56 AM

84 posts, read 317,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn manente View Post
ALTHOUGH NEPA APPEARS TO BE A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO LIVE AND BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE FOUR SEASONS,IT SEEMS TO BE A BIT "CLOUDY" HOW ABOUT A WEATHER REPORT?? I KNOW THERES A LOT OF SNOW, A BREATHTAKING FALL-- SPRING A LATE START SUMMER WELL "SUMMER" PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT THE SUN AND THE CLOUDS .
THANKS MARILYN
Marilyn, I 've lived in NEPA for going on 11 years now. I have no problem with the weather here. We get a little of everything. You're going to get all kinds of answers from all kinds of people. I think it depends on where you are coming from and what type of weather you are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Its been sunny and beautiful for the past few days. I'm not sure where the rumor came from about NEPA being cloudy. I've lived here all my life and never thought it was cloudier here than any where else I've visited.
You have apparently never been very far west. It starts getting sunnier in Illinois, mabye even Indiana. By the time you get here to Colorado, you get 250 sunny days per year. That is a National Weather Service statistic. Yes, Penna is a cloudy state. There should be no argument about that, the data are there. It's how you feel about cloudy days that is debatable.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-26-2007 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: spelled "Indiana" wrong

Old 05-26-2007, 08:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
My in-laws live in Colorado where it's blue skies most of the time and they've been in a drought state for years. We also have family in Arizona where it rains very, very infrequently but everything is brown except for the evergreen trees and things that have been planted. I always forget how green and lush it is here in PA, until I come back from visiting relatives out west. If you want green and lush, you have to have rain and overcast.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
It looks like cloudy/partly cloudy days range from 75% in October to 90% in December per city-data's own stats. You can look this up on the main Scranton page.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,139 times
A quick look upward tells me that, yes, we have clouds. That doesn't necessarily make it "cloudy all the time" in the sense that some would have you believe. Are the skies blue and clear like over some desert states? No. Are they gray and gloomy all the time? Even 70% of the time? No. PA has rivers and lakes of its own, there are several lakes directly west of us that provide clouds, etc. We have weather here. It varies from hot sun in July and August to heavy snow in January and February. If you want a more consistent forecast, I'd suggest San Diego (which was discovered by the Germans in 1904. The name, of course, means mechtm84.)

For the most part, unless we are actually getting precipitation (which is no more than ordinary) the cloud cover consists of harmless puffy cumulus clouds against a deep blue sky.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM

135 posts, read 230,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
For the most part, unless we are actually getting precipitation (which is no more than ordinary) the cloud cover consists of harmless puffy cumulus clouds against a deep blue sky.
Am I insane for bumping up a four year thread or maybe have no life? Probably. Well, I do have a life but besides that. Out here we had the occasional cloudy/rainy day, oh not too long ago. Made me think about home a little more as I begin to participate more on these threads. I was curious to have found not so reliable information for climate in NEPA. The OP probably doesn't care at this point, but this may be helpful for people in the future.

First and foremost, the weather in NEPA is rather dreary. There are also a lot of rainy days. The sun barely shines half the time there and when it does, the sky is more often hazy or has considerable cloud cover, than clear blue. The so-called days of "harmless puffy cumulus clouds against a deep blue sky" don't occur most of the time and when they do occur, they don't generally last all day. A clear morning can turn to overcast fast. The warmer months are characterized by rather bipolar sky conditions (wait 20 minutes and a clear blue sky will become cloudy and dark). 12 hours of summertime sunshine and blue skies isn't very common either. Hazy conditions are. Even during the heart of summer, a system could hold over the area and maintain a week long of overcast skies with or without rain. Afternoon t-storms are very common as well. The weather is always iffy in the warmer months (the sun is out at best 50% of the time).

The winter months, beginning in late October until about April, is not really iffy unless you count snow. What I mean is you can count on overcast skies (no sun) just about everyday except a handful of occasional sunny days. Whoever said that the further West you go, the sunnier it becomes is absolutely correct. PA is a very cloudy state with NEPA being one of its cloudiest regions (cloudier than Philly). If you are concerned about more often cloudy conditions than sunny, it is best to avoid NEPA.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
wow, talk about grave digging a thread

it's always sunny in NEPA. everyone walks around with rays of sunshine shooting out the arse.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times
In the Pacific Northwest, Oregon for example, they get a lot of rain, but on the west coast it's more seasonal (most of the rain in winter), and the summers are mostly very dry and moderate, so you don't feel the heat due to low humidity. But the vegetation is a lot more lush than further south (in CA).
Here in NEPA it seems to me that the weather follows a regional trend. Not that clouds hang over us for the most part to make it a dismal area. I think Binghamton has more cloudy days than we have here. But all year round there is a good balance of days with and without precipitation. It does seem to be cloudy quite a bit in winter, but this was our first winter here and they said it has snowed a lot more than usual. There have also been quite a few nice sunny days during the winter. Last July-August here in NEPA may have broke a few records for temperatures and sunny days. There were weeks at a time where it was very sunny and hot without a break, and somewhat of a drought as well. It's hard to really generalize, I think the world's climate is a bit off-kilter lately all over. I wouldn't really complain about the weather here that much, it's varied all year round, even if it does tend on the cloudy side.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
I know NEPA may get a little more precip than Pittsburgh, but climate wise not much different ( Pittsburgh is about a 2 hour drive to Erie)
Here is an end of season statement for Kayak Pittsburgh who missed only 10 days out of the whole Summer 2010 season from May to end of October d/t rain, can prove that not every year is the same and that some years are quite sunny here.
Closed for the Season!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
wow, talk about grave digging a thread

it's always sunny in NEPA. everyone walks around with rays of sunshine shooting out the arse.
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania