Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM

8 posts, read 15,221 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Husband and I are in the process of selling our home and have been browsing different areas over the last few months that we are looking to head to. We have decided on the Saylorsburg area for a few reasons such as the Pleasant Valley School District, the taxes, and that it makes a possible commute via 78 to my husband's job in NJ.

Our family is just starting, we are in our mid-late 20's and we have our first baby on the way(a little girl due in March!). We are interested in having about an acre of land and a modest home. There doesn't seem to be too much real estate available in the area, but we have found a few homes over the internet that we plan on checking out once we get a solid bid on our current home.

Now, with all that said, do you think Saylorsburg is a good place for us? We aren't party people. We tend to keep to ourselves and are very excited to enjoy nature considering the spot where we live right now is very busy. We have heard PV schools are great, but it would be nice to hear more. Is there anything negative about Saylorsburg that you think that we should know? Also, for anyone that takes 78 during rush hour, can you give us an idea on how the traffic is? We heard 80 was horrible, but haven't heard anything on 78.

Thank you everyone for your time, we really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I live in Saylorsburg, and am very happy here. The only negative for me is that some of the back roads aren't able to be plowed properly because they are curvy...

Downside of the PV school district? I have had a great experience with the school.. the only problems for me have been the dress code...not the code itself, but the schools enforcement of it, but this is the first year for wearing the "uniform", so hopefully they'll work it out. This year it was a bit of a cluster*

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
People love Saylorsburg and the PV schools. Most homes are on at least one acre.
78 is best taken on off hours. The off hours work well for traveling. However there is a big bunch of PA people who take 78 into NJ to work. I don't know where your husband works but it is an hour at least to Morristown in NJ from the Easton border. Coming from Saylorsburg will add another half hour to that commute.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 15,221 times
He works in New Providence, which is right off of 78, so he wouldn't have to get on 287 or anything, which I am assuming would be nice because I know how 287 can get. We were assuming about an hour 15 minutes-an hour and half commute...would that be a reasonable assumption?

Also, that is great about uniforms! I love that idea! I did not know that and I think uniforms are great because the way these kids are now with next to nothing clothes and designer things is crazy.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
I also live in Saylorsburg and have been since Nov. 2007...but I've been coming to NEPA since '96...I commute to Piscataway, NJ 5 days a week but I work from 2pm - 10pm so I don't have to deal with much traffic on 78 unless the weather is crappy, road construction, or an accident otherwise on the way home it's just a lonely commute...good thing I have XM satellite radio to keep me going...as for homes it depends where in Saylorsburg you look so my advice is to look all over Saylorsburg as much as you can...on Meixell Valley Road there are many good homes for sale that have been on the market for a while and I'm sure the owners are willing to make a deal to off load the extra mortgage payment their carrying...it's a buyer's market (as I'm sure you're aware of) so the ball is in your court to bargain...I dealt with Charlie Carmella from Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate | Wilkins & Associates | POCONO REAL ESTATE | POCONO MOUNTAIN HOMES | MLS LISTINGS POCONOS | HOMES FOR SALE PA | POCONOS PA REALTOR | POCONO RENTALS and he was very professional and patient with me throughout the whole 1st time home buying process for a veteran...don't know if he still works for them but you can call them anyway and ask if he's still there unless you already have someone in mind...there is another board member here that goes by the name KarenRice who's a realtor...you can ask her for advice also...Summering also knows the area well and can give you some insight...hope this helps...post back with any other questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania