Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times

Advertisements

It seems that people left the CITY to get away from crime. Now the Monroe County area is crowded and with alot of crime. Not all the people living in Monroe County caused these problems. The builders kept building and advertising "affordable" homes in the NY papers and drew much attention to a once quiet area. Things have changed much in say 25 or so years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier01 View Post
I advise you to go and see it for yourself. Don't listen to these ridiculous comments made by people on here. It's no "hood" not even close. It seems that some people like to bash certain places after they've moved out or some know nothing at all and like to simply make asinine posts. It's a very clean community with nice homes.

When people say that after 9/11 people moved in and it wasn't the same feel is because it became permanent residence for many families. Why is that a bad thing ? It's still a quiet & beautiful place to live.

Go for yourself and don't pay any mind to these overblown comments made over the internet. There's no greater power then seeing things through your own eyes.
Soldier........I lived in the community for 8 years. I watched it become permanent residence for many, including myself. That was fine by me because sometimes it felt a bit too, too, isolated. That was a slow progression.........over time and worked out well.

I have to say that after 9/11 it was a faster build up and many city people moved in in huge bunches. Perhaps groups of two families or more.

My neighbors and myself watched this happen....we were there.

To many moved in and then left within months, leaving their homes vacant. ( never good for ones resale oneday)
I think many learned the ride to the city was long and crowded, or they could not afford their newly acquired home.
People were known to have left animals behind tied to the back decks on chains.
The rocks for some reason were painted white by the newcomers.....
Rule stated not to do this type of thing.
One of the Security guards was knocked out at the back gate, and she was a woman.
Then.......Our neighbors sons moped was stolen in the middle of the night.
Cars would get on our bumper with lights off and follow us in closely so the gate would stay open. Then keep their lights off.
The worst thing for our family was that the pool was now totally full.
There was no room anymore to swim.

Is it beautiful in Penn Estates.......yes.......and like I said the homes are gorgeous. However the feel, the quality, and the gentleness of the community changed. Everyone of my neighbors moved. Many before we did............
I do think that if one doesn't mind living in a city type atmosphere then it might suit them ok. That means to me.......more crowds at the pool and more noise in your environment. Increased crime and group occupied homes.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 PM

124 posts, read 294,194 times
Quote:

Go for yourself and don't pay any mind to these overblown comments made over the internet. There's no greater power then seeing things through your own eyes.

Although I do agree that seeing is believing, clearly the poster wished to hear the opinions of locals with experience and knowledge of the area. True, there are worse places to live than Penn Estates. However, I grew up just minutes from the development and I have had friends who lived there - and when it came my time to purchase my own home for my family, I did not even consider Penn Estates. I have family members who work in area law enforcement - and I know for a fact that I would never want to live there with my children. Anyone who truly does want to know about the area should in fact visit, however an hour long daytime visit won't express the true nature of the living situation.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:03 PM

krp........You have expressed this very well......
Also, it would take a long visit to really catch the true environment of PE.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM

38 posts, read 136,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Soldier........I lived in the community for 8 years. I watched it become permanent residence for many, including myself. That was fine by me because sometimes it felt a bit too, too, isolated. That was a slow progression.........over time and worked out well.

I have to say that after 9/11 it was a faster build up and many city people moved in in huge bunches. Perhaps groups of two families or more.

My neighbors and myself watched this happen....we were there.

To many moved in and then left within months, leaving their homes vacant. ( never good for ones resale oneday)
I think many learned the ride to the city was long and crowded, or they could not afford their newly acquired home.
People were known to have left animals behind tied to the back decks on chains.
The rocks for some reason were painted white by the newcomers.....
Rule stated not to do this type of thing.
One of the Security guards was knocked out at the back gate, and she was a woman.
Then.......Our neighbors sons moped was stolen in the middle of the night.
Cars would get on our bumper with lights off and follow us in closely so the gate would stay open. Then keep their lights off.
The worst thing for our family was that the pool was now totally full.
There was no room anymore to swim.

Is it beautiful in Penn Estates.......yes.......and like I said the homes are gorgeous. However the feel, the quality, and the gentleness of the community changed. Everyone of my neighbors moved. Many before we did............
I do think that if one doesn't mind living in a city type atmosphere then it might suit them ok. That means to me.......more crowds at the pool and more noise in your environment. Increased crime and group occupied homes.
Summering, I'm sorry that incident happened to you but this is still no reason for you to agree with someone who would call this place a "hood". It's obvious that if more families move in that the 2 pools that are in the community would become a bit more crowded. I've been living there for 3 years and neither myself nor my neighbors have had any type of incidents with their kids bikes etc being stolen from their front lawns or backyards.

Maybe it's not the place for people seeking to be in an isolated environment, but it's definitely not to be compared with some of these other developments in Monroe or Pike cty. PE is still generally a clean and quiet place to live. I totally disagree with you claiming that PE is a city type atmosphere. Is it as isolated as the Hideout No, but definitely not city like.

The only point that I'm trying to get accross is that perhaps is not the same place as you left it as. The minor incidents that have happen here have been very minimal and has not become a problem like in other communities.The incidents that you speak of with the gate staying open and cars entering right behind others no longer happen and in the event that it does there will be a police presence. The PE Police believe it or not are surpisingly strict. I've had to actually show my badge to get out of one writing me a ticket for going 8 miles over the speed limit.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM

38 posts, read 136,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krp123 View Post
Although I do agree that seeing is believing, clearly the poster wished to hear the opinions of locals with experience and knowledge of the area. True, there are worse places to live than Penn Estates. However, I grew up just minutes from the development and I have had friends who lived there - and when it came my time to purchase my own home for my family, I did not even consider Penn Estates. I have family members who work in area law enforcement - and I know for a fact that I would never want to live there with my children. Anyone who truly does want to know about the area should in fact visit, however an hour long daytime visit won't express the true nature of the living situation.
I'm in law enforcement myself and Im very much in contact with what happens at PE and it's nothing to keep your kids locked up in the house or put bars over your windows. I have friends that lived there with kids for years and love it till this day. I've visited the place for years & that's why I decided to buy there. I also did a lot of digging before purchasing and it showed to be a nice place to live. The bottomline is that everyone has their own personal reasons for thinking if a place is good for them or not. To each is own. Just try not making it sound like it's Camden, Nj.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM

The police are strict and they have to be because of what has happened in the past.
They were there also years ago with speed guns in their hands. In fact one scared my daughter so much she thought it was a real gun aimed at her.
The follower only did that to us one time......but it was one time too many. They were on our tail for quite a way......lights off. We saw one neighbor down the way look puzzled at the sight. Not sure it couldn't happen again.
I do agree each and every one of us has a different opinion of what we feel is a good environment.
When I saw Newark scratched in the metal of the mailbox area........I wondered why?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 AM

124 posts, read 294,194 times
Quote:
I'm in law enforcement myself and Im very much in contact with what happens at PE and it's nothing to keep your kids locked up in the house or put bars over your windows. I have friends that lived there with kids for years and love it till this day. I've visited the place for years & that's why I decided to buy there. I also did a lot of digging before purchasing and it showed to be a nice place to live. The bottomline is that everyone has their own personal reasons for thinking if a place is good for them or not. To each is own. Just try not making it sound like it's Camden, Nj.

I think you're missing my point. I grew up in the area - and it went from somewhere I would absolutely love to live - to somewhere considerably less desirable. There is certainly a reason that the houses there - in a gated community - are priced lower than those outside of Penn Estates. I never said that I would put bars on my windows... but I wouldn't buy a house there either. I DID make the comment about drug dealers there, and if that's what makes it out to be similar to Camden, then that is simply fact. Being that you lived there for three years, you really can't understand the changes that have happened in the area over time - even as a visitor. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that Penn Estates continues to be the kind of place that you want to defend as your home. Perhaps if more homeowners there exhibit the same pride in community that you do, it will become again the place that it once was.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Exactly, changes over a long period of time........It happened slowly but surely.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Harlem was once a nice place too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania