Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,063,335 times

Advertisements

Here is the way I look at it...

If we never disagreed with anyone there would be no debate, without debate there is no thought process, without thought process there is no innovation, without innovation there is no progress, without progress there is no change, without change our ideals stagnate and die.

This country, our society were built on the fundamentals of debate and innovation, progress and forward thinking. A process that has been pushed to the side, pushed to the back and almost forgotten. It has been replaced by a "do what we say is right or wrong" kind of process that has almost eliminated our individual ideals and rights.

I look forward to future debates with everyone here and I don't expect everyone to agree with me 100% of the time nor do I expect that you feel I will agree with you 100% of the time, but we are and will be debating, thinking and seeing and hearing others thoughts and ideas which will make us think more about what we are thinking.

Even a heated argument can bring forth a positive thought process, a change, a different view.

Its hard times right now in every little corner of this country and we as a group, a nation need to be more involved in debates, forward thinking and the open exchange of ideas. Without that we are doomed to be spoon-fed by our government the ideals that THEY want us to believe and that is unacceptable to me.

Over 200 years ago a very smart group of men decided to built a nation based on a solid foundation of ideals, rights and laws and we have strayed away from the path that was laid down for us as a nation and we need to get back on track, back on the path of those founding ideals and rights and we need to take our country back from those that choose to DICTATE to us what they deem is right and wrong.

Sorry for the rant.......I bet you guys are debating whether you missed me or not now.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,761,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

If we never disagreed with anyone there would be no debate, without debate there is no thought process, without thought process there is no innovation, without innovation there is no progress, without progress there is no change, without change our ideals stagnate and die.

This country, our society were built on the fundamentals of debate and innovation, progress and forward thinking. A process that has been pushed to the side, pushed to the back and almost forgotten. It has been replaced by a "do what we say is right or wrong" kind of process that has almost eliminated our individual ideals and rights.

I look forward to future debates with everyone here and I don't expect everyone to agree with me 100% of the time nor do I expect that you feel I will agree with you 100% of the time, but we are and will be debating, thinking and seeing and hearing others thoughts and ideas which will make us think more about what we are thinking.

Even a heated argument can bring forth a positive thought process, a change, a different view.

Its hard times right now in every little corner of this country and we as a group, a nation need to be more involved in debates, forward thinking and the open exchange of ideas. Without that we are doomed to be spoon-fed by our government the ideals that THEY want us to believe and that is unacceptable to me.

Over 200 years ago a very smart group of men decided to built a nation based on a solid foundation of ideals, rights and laws and we have strayed away from the path that was laid down for us as a nation and we need to get back on track, back on the path of those founding ideals and rights and we need to take our country back from those that choose to DICTATE to us what they deem is right and wrong.

Sorry for the rant.......I bet you guys are debating whether you missed me or not now.....

Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,179,743 times
Quote:

Very, very well put. I totally agree with all that you wrote.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,590,253 times
Quote:

Some of this posting would be well served put into the TOS.......
Because your so right, debates are good and informative...Two sides, three sides........thats ok. ( by me anyhow, and LOL.......thats not saying much) Welcome back.....Glad that all worked out well.
You taught me to watch who will be my neighbors.....oh yeah....

Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,633,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Yea, sometimes you just have to get into related topics to keep with the real topic.
We can't always stay right on topic all of the time, it just can't happen. There are many thoughts and ideas going around at once and it's impossible sometimes to contain them to a single topic.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,063,335 times
I've been doing a little thinking and alot or work over the last several months in regards to the internet and SEO's(search engine optimization). The only thing I can think that would literally drive CD or its mods to stay "on Topic" is to drive the search engines to dial the content spydering of google and CD towards the direction they want it to go.

In other words a bunch of threads that don't particularly stay on the specific topic of NEPA for example will not help CD in its google search standings when someone is researching NEPA on google, bing etc...

Search engines drive traffic and traffic drives numbers and numbers drive the $$$$$$$$.

"Off Topic" posts do not directly benefit their analytical numbers of user traffic, refering sites, keywording, traffic sources and overall content search hits as well as cross linking thru the various avenues that CD uses.....

Think about it Does it really help the forum to lock threads and force the "on topic" issues or does it help the numbers.....

Once again.

Search engines drive traffic and traffic drives numbers and numbers drive the $$$$$$$$.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,433,521 times
Quote:
I've been doing a little thinking and alot or work over the last several months in regards to the internet and SEO's(search engine optimization). The only thing I can think that would literally drive CD or its mods to stay "on Topic" is to drive the search engines to dial the content spydering of google and CD towards the direction they want it to go.

In other words a bunch of threads that don't particularly stay on the specific topic of NEPA for example will not help CD in its google search standings when someone is researching NEPA on google, bing etc...

"Off Topic" posts do not directly benefit their analytical numbers of user traffic, refering sites, keywording, traffic sources and overall content search hits as well as cross linking thru the various avenues that CD uses.....

Think about it Does it really help the forum to lock threads and force the "on topic" issues or does it help the numbers.....

Once again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqcFC-tHeOU

Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM

13,249 posts, read 33,380,157 times
I hesitate to post and contribute to another off topic post, but I can see that there is a misunderstanding here about why city-data administrators do not like an overabundance of off topic talk.

The reason the state and city forums were started were so that newcomers could learn about a state or area. They were hoping a community feeling would happen so that local's and people that knew the area could inform new people about it. Sort of like tripadvisor forum's. The intention was not to make it a chat room where local's would just talk about un-local things. So if you are thinking of moving to someplace you can pop in, look around and read about the local area and post a question if you find the forum to your liking.

This is a privately owned board and YES, the slant of the state and city boards IS local. However, you can post about a myriad of other things here //www.city-data.com/forum/#general-forums

The off-topic rule is so that if you are a poster and want an answer to a question, i.e, "Who makes the best pizza?" The subject doesn't turn into a debate of what's better thin or crispy (or only illegal residents eat thin crust, etc.) and then the question never does get answered. I post on another bulletin board which is much less moderated and find it extremely frustrating when people start judging and commenting on small parts of the post instead of the main question. Yes, in a normal discussion the conversation is not going to be on the straight and narrow, but that's different then turning the OP into a totally different topic. Or turning a local question into a debate on a National policy.

I'd really appreciate it if we could work together on making the NEPA forum one where people feel welcome and all views are appreciated. And that's a big part of the TOS

-//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

"Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other. "

Which is just what you were saying weluvpa.

Being kind to each other and talking about things that have to do with NEPA and the Opening post questions are two of the rules that work for me. Now, if there is more chatting to be done, please let's do it in the off topic chat thread. I know it's around here somewhere.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,433,521 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04aCp3ej-I

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,995,924 times
lol george
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania