Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times

Advertisements

A terms of service reminder from your friendly moderator, //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html "Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead."

Now play nice, okay?

By the way I had a very enjoyable time in NYC the last couple of days with my daughter and was very glad to have the option of public transportation to get around in the snowy conditions. I enjoyed taking the bus to the city and then subways and buses to get around. I do not want my Lehigh Valley to turn into another NYC and no matter it's benefits, I am convinced that rail service will bring more headaches then conveniences.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
What is "you guys"...I was BORN AND RAISED IN NJ and I worked there for most of my adult life. My family still has a shore house and lives in Toms River. I am a NJ boy, by birthright. I lived in NJ every summer after my folks moved here and then when I was old enough to have my own place I lived In South Seaside Park every summer and even full time for 1999 and 2000, 2001....

Don't try and blow the NJ smoke up my you know what. You live in a fairly safe suburbia of NJ up there in Washington Twp....How many country clubs are there again?

Lets try to not compare Newark to Scranton either, they are so far apart that its not even funny. Maybe downtown Newark has cleaned up, but the outlying areas sure as hell haven't.....

The train will not bring hope to any one but the drug slingers that will use it as an easy way to mule their product to the markets in NEPA.....

There is no demand for trains to Scranton and the bulk of goods come from the Port Elizabeth, via 78 and 280 to 80 and westward by truck....

I also have no problem with that, lets not forget that if they start to transport goods as well as people via rail to NEPA, the garbage that we take from NJ and NY by truck will start to come by rail in mass.

We already have enough trash from NY and NJ , we don't need anymore.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
What is "you guys"...I was BORN AND RAISED IN NJ and I worked there for most of my adult life. My family still has a shore house and lives in Toms River. I am a NJ boy, by birthright. I lived in NJ every summer after my folks moved here and then when I was old enough to have my own place I lived In South Seaside Park every summer and even full time for 1999 and 2000, 2001....

Don't try and blow the NJ smoke up my you know what. You live in a fairly safe suburbia of NJ up there in Washington Twp....How many country clubs are there again?

Lets try to not compare Newark to Scranton either, they are so far apart that its not even funny. Maybe downtown Newark has cleaned up, but the outlying areas sure as hell haven't.....

The train will not bring hope to any one but the drug slingers that will use it as an easy way to mule their product to the markets in NEPA.....

There is no demand for trains to Scranton and the bulk of goods come from the Port Elizabeth, via 78 and 280 to 80 and westward by truck....

I also have no problem with that, lets not forget that if they start to transport goods as well as people via rail to NEPA, the garbage that we take from NJ and NY by truck will start to come by rail in mass.

We already have enough trash from NY and NJ , we don't need anymore.
edit , no point arguing anymore , i'm done with this negative thread!

~Corey

Last edited by DarkWolf; 02-11-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
That's right Dan....you're ignorant and rude for not wanting a train to New Jersey...

Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM

The best part is that its a 19 yr old kid from NJ telling me that I'm ignorant and stupid because I don't want the train to NJ here. Its not like he lives here, he is just a rail buff which is fine, but just because he wants it doesn't mean that the rest of us should or do. It has to be an age thing, seriously its like talking to Paul about Scranton.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 AM

25 posts, read 75,992 times
Hope it never comes. It'll just bring more drugs and trouble

Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 AM

267 posts, read 765,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcMknra View Post
Hope it never comes. It'll just bring more drugs and trouble

lol....

Old 02-14-2010, 10:13 PM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
The argument for and against rail renaissance may boil down to the bottom line: cost of gasoline.

Table 11.8 Retail Motor Gasoline Prices in Selected Countries, 1990-2008 (Nominal Dollars per Gallon)
Average Prices of Selected Fuels and Electricity, 1980–2006 — Infoplease.com
Per gallon
1970 $0.36
1980 $1.25
1990 $1.16
1995 $1.15
2000 $1.51
2005 $2.30
2008 $3.27
2010 $2.50 (currently depressed by recession and drop in consumption)

At some point the cost of gasoline is going to make the electric powered train, tram, streetcar, commuter, light rail, and all related formats more desirable.

Exporting $500 billion annually, to support our oil habit is not sustainable.

It would be wise to start rebuilding rail transportation infrastructure before we are desperately in need of it.

Interesting note: Germany, which is well known for its network of rail transit, has gasoline prices hovering around $7.75 / gallon.
Is that what it will take for Americans to switch to riding trains?
$110 per tankful?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
$110 per tankful?
Already paying it and have been for years now. My diesel holds about 42 gallons and I have been paying over a hundred per tank for years now. At one point it was closer to two hundred. My other trucks are costing us at least $93 a tank NOW and that was more last year when the price of gas was higher.

That is life and that is the price we pay for the the vehicles we want. Spend a little less here and there in order to have the money to travel like we always have.

Those that have hondas and toyotas that cry about fuel costs are just babies....

Old 05-04-2010, 03:27 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
I think bringing train service to Scranton (& then Wilkes-Barre) is a great idea. Until around the late 60's/early 70's, there was the Lackawanna (which line would be rebuilt from Blairstown to Slateford Junction to connect with existing track), and there was also the Lehigh Valley (direct to Wilkes-Barre) and the Jersey Central (at least to Allentown).
Several points:
Crime is already an issue, most of those folks drive, no worry about the train bringing them in
The US infrastructure needs more public transportation, sure would help cutting down on gas & pollution
NJ / NY folks that relocate here would bring more urban renewal and higher property values / more tax revenue to fuel regrowth of older areas
Besides commuting, there would be better access to cultural sites in the "east", as well as more access to jobs that way, as an alternative to driving
Other than that, when I was researching the reasons that a rail line would be a big help for the region, I saw somewhere that NEPA could become a big "satellite" area for major NYC metro financial & other businesses in case of some major disaster in the NYC area. Just as Charlotte & Atlanta have become great secondary banking & financial markets in their own right. It sure might become a boon to the area and create a lot more local jobs, even perhaps more quickly than some new transplants care to move in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania