Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,001 times

Advertisements

Eyes, I still don't think you understand my opinion. Thanks for respecting it though.

In my school district, I really am not witnessing anything akin to corruption. Just a broken system that is "institutionalized learning."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM

Go back and read my edited comment - I posted a short sentence first and then edited to add more to clarify my position.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Exactly. You can't fix institutionalized learning. It is what it is. Especially in public schools.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times
Default ...

I think I do understand ..

Like most parents .. you want the best you can provide for your children.
As it should be.

I just don't see how flushing away our hard earned tax dollars in any ones best interest.
I would rather correct what we have .. requiring excellence and integrity.
As we spread the monies thinner I don't see how this can improve our overall quality of life.

If you had an employee who was not doing the job they were hire to do ..
Would you continue to pay them and do it yourself or hire another person to do this job?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 AM

I don't get where you're going with this.

You can *NOT* "correct" the issues with institutionalized learning. It is what it is. Even in the best schools, it is still.....institutionalized. And there really is no other way around it apart from pulling your children out if you feel it is best for them.

My children are in school. It is working for them, for the most part. Again, I see nothing in my school district that I need to become politically active over. I think that our school district is one of the best around...for institutionalized learning, that is.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 AM

10 posts, read 20,001 times
Karen, you said that so well!
Your post is so true in our case as well. It may not be a problem in a particular school, just the nature of learning in a school environment that we are choosing not to do.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Thanks Magritte & tablefor7. Even after all these years, people STILL don't understand what REALLY makes homeschoolers tick.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I don't get where you're going with this.

You can *NOT* "correct" the issues with institutionalized learning. It is what it is. Even in the best schools, it is still.....institutionalized. And there really is no other way around it apart from pulling your children out if you feel it is best for them.

My children are in school. It is working for them, for the most part. Again, I see nothing in my school district that I need to become politically active over. I think that our school district is one of the best around...for institutionalized learning, that is.
Karen

I am not trying to "go" any place.

I feel that my integrity would be at stake should I not present my personal views on education when the opportunity should arise.
I am not telling people my way is the only way.
Merely offering my point of view.

You really can't dispute .. in NEPA .. as in many other communities our tax dollars are treated like the spoils of war and are often wasted.

If I am not part of the solution .. I am part of the problem.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
I think I do understand ..

Like most parents .. you want the best you can provide for your children.
As it should be.

I just don't see how flushing away our hard earned tax dollars in any ones best interest.
I would rather correct what we have .. requiring excellence and integrity.
As we spread the monies thinner I don't see how this can improve our overall quality of life.

If you had an employee who was not doing the job they were hire to do ..
Would you continue to pay them and do it yourself or hire another person to do this job?

In my opinion, you can not fix institutional learning. Teachers have tenue, whether you are good or bad, it is almost near to impossible to get rid of the ones that should not be teaching. Add into that one teacher at a ratio of 25 children plus children that are disruptive...........etc.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablefor7 View Post
Karen, you said that so well!
Your post is so true in our case as well. It may not be a problem in a particular school, just the nature of learning in a school environment that we are choosing not to do.
I agree...........some parents have the options of sending their children to private schools. Home school is an optional environment, where you can really teach your kids the values you want to instill. Do not have the peer pressure, etc.

I wonder how many families are actually doing this. I think it is more common that what we originally thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania