Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 PM

25 posts, read 53,350 times

Advertisements

hi! i stumbled upon the forums while looking at cities in other states. Lots of folks sure do move around... i also live part-time in the south.
I am a nyc transplant to the lake winola/mill city area of northeast Pa. I've lived, worked and played here for 30 years. If anyone would like more info about this beautiful and thankfully still hidden treasure of a rural area, or opinions from a nyc transplant and boomer -honest and from-the-hip- feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 12,833 times
Hi, I'm a life-long NYCer who is starting to look for a new place to live -- my family simply can't afford to remain in New York. My husband is originally from a small town in PA, so this appeals to him. I saw an article in the NY Times today about Milford, and am intrigued.

My greatest concern is finding a diverse community. I'm Jewish and raising my children to be Jewish, although my husband is not Jewish. I don't want to feel like a black sheep and I certainly don't want my kids to feel like outcasts. Can you suggest a town where we might feel comfortable?

Many thanks!

Norma

Old 08-17-2007, 09:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannny View Post
Please keep your secrets to yourself.We have enough New York idiots wrecking the area.We don't need anymore.
I disagree. I wish more would move to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Our population is now finally growing again for the first time in many decades, but we have a LOT of ground to cover to recoup the tax base we lost since the 1950s. If they would move to places like Scranton, Carbondale, Pittston, Old Forge, Wilkes-Barre, Nanticoke, Plymouth, etc. instead of the Back Mountain, The Abingtons, North Pocono, Mountain Top, etc., then we'd be able to both revitalize our urban cores and preserve our open space for future generations to enjoy.

While I'm usually no fan of Robert Cordaro, I wanted to worship every blade of grass that man walked on after I learned that Lackawanna County had purchased hundreds of acres of pristine land to prevent it from being sold to greedy housing developers. We don't need any more hemorrhoids marring our landscape such as Montage Mountain, Dickson City, or South Abington Township.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
Paul, from many people I have talked to and know, they like living in those areas like North Pocono and Clarks Summit because they simply don't want to live in a city. They like living in a semi-country setting away from Scranton and like the fact that shopping in Dickson City or Montage is not that far a drive. I've heard good things about the North Pocono school district and Abingtons and that's another reason why they relocate to these places. I personally liked living in Wayne county myself, then moved to Scranton to be closer to everything, only to find the city is falling apart by a misguided Doherty administration. All the bad press Scranton is getting is driving people away from the city and forcing our current residents to move.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Paul, from many people I have talked to and know, they like living in those areas like North Pocono and Clarks Summit because they simply don't want to live in a city. They like living in a semi-country setting away from Scranton and like the fact that shopping in Dickson City or Montage is not that far a drive. I've heard good things about the North Pocono school district and Abingtons and that's another reason why they relocate to these places. I personally liked living in Wayne county myself, then moved to Scranton to be closer to everything, only to find the city is falling apart by a misguided Doherty administration. All the bad press Scranton is getting is driving people away from the city and forcing our current residents to move.
The problem though is that these same people whom you described are ruining the region little by little. First people from NYC flocked to North Jersey in the 1950s when urban sprawl as we know it took flight, as people from NYC wanted more "elbow room" and "cleaner air to breathe." Then people from North Jersey noticed the rapid influx of people from NYC had turned their area into a congested suburban wasteland, so they began to flock to Monroe County, PA for "more elbow room." Now Monroe County, especially Greater Stroudsburg, is becoming an extension of North Jersey as a bedroom community and people are moving from Monroe County to North Pocono in order to find "more elbow room," destroying MORE of our open space in the process. When will it end?

At some point we need to investigate why not only the larger cities like Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, but also why seemingly gorgeous small towns like West Pittston, (and yes even the boroughs of Clarks Summit, Clarks Green, and Dallas), are rapidly-declining in terms of population. You were talking about Scranton losing its tax base because its quality-of-life had deteriorated. That's not at all the case for those other communities I just mentioned, yet people are likewise fleeing them like the plague.

I hope these same people flocking to South Abington Township, Dallas Township, Mountain Top, etc. to "get more elbow room" don't pull another North Jersey and decide to then pull up stakes and destroy another pristine area once these same townships become too congested as well. Northern Boulevard in South Abington Township is already a virtual parking lot at most hours of the day due to its unchecked growth (I believe it is now Lackawanna County's fourth most-populous municipality behind Scranton, Carbondale, and Dunmore). I can GUARANTEE that you'll see people from South Abington Township flocking to once-serene Scott Township, Newton Township, and Ransom Township in about a decade in order to "escape the crowds." At what point do we draw the line? Do we really want to become the next North Jersey here in NEPA? There's no good reason why a blue-ribbon community such as West Pittston, for example, should be abandoning in droves while more trees are felled all around it.

If you want to see something truly depressing, download Google Earth and then zoom in and around many areas of North Carolina, especially in the Lake Norman area just north of Charlotte. What you'll see is massive deforestation, cul-de-sacs, big-box stores, wide roadways, and tract-housing for miles upon miles (think of a never-ending Dickson City or Wilkes-Barre Township). Is that what we really want for NEPA just because people think they're too good to live in an existing neighborhood (not necessarily in Scranton, but even in West Pittston, for example?)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 08-18-2007 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 AM

6 posts, read 15,011 times
Default would like to return

I live in New York I am forced to sell my home and would love to be
able to find resonable property in lake winola. I have a long long love
of Lake winola my aunt Bell used to own The marine room at the lake
and my family had many many great times there before she was
murdered. I spent some time later when the place was being run by
my other aunt and always wanted to be able to purchase that
property but that never did happen as it was sold to someone
outside the family. Ive always longed to live there. I have searched
all the real estates and still have not found a place I could afford.
It would mean the world to me if I could find one can anyone help.
I would also be happy to rent if any rentals are available perhaps
then I can be in the area and catch any homes being sold.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,845 times
This is a free country and people will move wherever they feel they want to be. It is just common nature. People want more room and more property. If a developer builds it, they will come. I focus the blame on the politicians that allow these developers to cut down trees and build new communities. I will not blame people from NY or NJ for ruining the pleasant way of life anywhere. Why is it that the NY or NJ people always get the blame for so many things? It seems that if they can afford to live in a nice place, why not?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes View Post
I live in New York I am forced to sell my home and would love to be
able to find resonable property in lake winola. I have a long long love
of Lake winola my aunt Bell used to own The marine room at the lake
and my family had many many great times there before she was
murdered. I spent some time later when the place was being run by
my other aunt and always wanted to be able to purchase that
property but that never did happen as it was sold to someone
outside the family. Ive always longed to live there. I have searched
all the real estates and still have not found a place I could afford.
It would mean the world to me if I could find one can anyone help.
I would also be happy to rent if any rentals are available perhaps
then I can be in the area and catch any homes being sold.
I live at Lake Winola and frequented the Marine Room, it was absolutely horrible when your aunt was murdered. Your aunt was a very nice lady.
The 'marine room' is for sale again !!! As are many other lake houses, although not cheap !!! Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania