Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coal cracker View Post
after living in NEPA for 50 years, not only would I avoid the Scranton parade, I also avoid the town in general. The dirty little secret about Scranton, Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre, is no one wants to live there, if they can afford to live elsewhere. And I'm talking from experience, living here 50 years, and my family living here since the early 1900's. And this isn't just a NEPA or Pa. thing, the same goes for any USA city lately. Standard of living has been greatly reduced in the cities. Who wants to fight over their parking space every day ?

Steamtown in Scranton is a very nice museum to visit. But you can't live in a museum.
I am with you, and I am actively looking to move out, my husband has choosen to stay. He loves his house, as I do but it is simply not worth the daily bs. The city is crumbling, the crooks are in charge, the morals as displayed by some on this board are questionable and the attitude, well lets say where I come from these type of people are put out of their misery for the good of society! lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I am with you, and I am actively looking to move out, my husband has choosen to stay. He loves his house, as I do but it is simply not worth the daily bs. The city is crumbling, the crooks are in charge, the morals as displayed by some on this board are questionable and the attitude, well lets say where I come from these type of people are put out of their misery for the good of society! lol.
I have been actively wanting to move out of this city too. Have been for 3 years now. I will soon, good things come to those who wait. There is nothing here that is holding me to this city. I wish I could say that Scranton was this great city on the rebound and that I would love to stay, but that would be lying.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I have been actively wanting to move out of this city too. Have been for 3 years now. I will soon, good things come to those who wait. There is nothing here that is holding me to this city. I wish I could say that Scranton was this great city on the rebound and that I would love to stay, but that would be lying.
I know, it is so sad, I love so much of the city, the history the beauty of some of the buildings ( the ones they do not insist on tearing down) but the people sheesh, what a large portion of them are nasty and miserable and so hositle. I have a small select group of wonderful friends, but the daily interaction with hositle life forms is draining. My lil man has one more year at his elem. school, and I will not send him to the public middle schools. Sorry to say, so many of the parents act like animals I can not expect much more from the parents.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
I know, it is so sad, I love so much of the city, the history the beauty of some of the buildings ( the ones they do not insist on tearing down) but the people sheesh, what a large portion of them are nasty and miserable and so hositle. I have a small select group of wonderful friends, but the daily interaction with hositle life forms is draining. My lil man has one more year at his elem. school, and I will not send him to the public middle schools. Sorry to say, so many of the parents act like animals I can not expect much more from the parents.
You are so right. The people here, for the most part, not all, are miserable, nasty and hostile. I don't know if it's because they grew up and have lived in this environment for so long or because they were born this way. There are some good people here, but few and far between. I guess you can make a case like that about anywhere, but it seems more so here.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You are so right. The people here, for the most part, not all, are miserable, nasty and hostile. I don't know if it's because they grew up and have lived in this environment for so long or because they were born this way. There are some good people here, but few and far between. I guess you can make a case like that about anywhere, but it seems more so here.
I always thought it was just my in laws (mil and fil), but what strikes me here is it seems more of the MAJORITY than the minority. The drinking does not help, it is a depressant, so that adds to the overall "downer" mood. I mean I know life can and is hard, but so it was for my parents and they laugh through it all. It is like a social norm here to walk around like you are ready to ripe someone a new butt hole.

I do not need a St. Patty's Day parade or alcohol to celebrate, I drive around ( when lil man is not in the car) with the radio loud, singing along and trying to make my little corner of the world brighter...after all that is all I can do. My son is pure sunshine, and I will not let this area wear it out of him. I know there are many very happy people here in Scranton, but as one line in a song goes "...my soul is worn thin..."! My psych make-up just can not handle the bad mojo vibe, and I have got to get out for my own good. LI was to fast, Scranton is too depressed, so here I go again...this time on my own, this should get interesting realllllllllllllllll fast!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM

135 posts, read 230,185 times
Quote:
I always thought it was just my in laws (mil and fil), but what strikes me here is it seems more of the MAJORITY than the minority. The drinking does not help, it is a depressant, so that adds to the overall "downer" mood. I mean I know life can and is hard, but so it was for my parents and they laugh through it all. It is like a social norm here to walk around like you are ready to ripe someone a new butt hole.

I do not need a St. Patty's Day parade or alcohol to celebrate, I drive around ( when lil man is not in the car) with the radio loud, singing along and trying to make my little corner of the world brighter...after all that is all I can do. My son is pure sunshine, and I will not let this area wear it out of him. I know there are many very happy people here in Scranton, but as one line in a song goes "...my soul is worn thin..."! My psych make-up just can not handle the bad mojo vibe, and I have got to get out for my own good. LI was to fast, Scranton is too depressed, so here I go again...this time on my own, this should get interesting realllllllllllllllll fast!
Agreed. Out here, I like how people actually take care of themselves. Yes, there's stereotypes of fake people out here but it's not all true. I've found a lot more friendlier and down to earth people here than in NEPA (mostly because they're happy, the weather is beautiful, and the economy isn't too bad compared to many areas in CA and throughout the country).

There's a certain formula for the rude, ignorant, and miserable attitude of the locals in the Scranton area.

Lack of high paying jobs + lack of jobs in general + widespread political corruption + dreary, gloomy, miserable weather 12 months/year = "I hate my life, f*ck everyone else."

I will note that finding the perfect place is challenging. If I was limited to the East Coast, I would choose somewhere in Delaware, MD, or VA. Possibly parts of FL. I always liked the Ocean City, MD area and areas to the north like Fenwick, Bethany, and Rehoboth. There's not really a major economic center (major metro) closeby and it's kind of dead during the colder months. Really enjoyed it during the tourist season and the locals are very friendly. It seems like a chill, pace of life. And happy.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
what i've been saying---am hoping the my kids here will make a move to return south where there are nice,friendly,less miserable inhabitants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania