Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM

32 posts, read 67,280 times

Advertisements

LVN is dead on this is a plug for the city it's the one weekend of the year people actually want to be here. That goes for people all around New York and New Jersey. I'd put money on it that Scranton makes a pretty penny on this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
been 2 years since i left my spring break oriented town--feels like 10--ps my spring breaks were always spent earning money(no rich parents ike the majority of breakers now)
Well, my oldest daughter is currently at South Padre Island in Texas, having a lot of fun too, is my guess. With two mortgages, we are not in a real financial happy spot, but we bought her the airfare and the rest of the trip is on her dime. Which she earned working a job full-time and going to school full-time.

Too bad, she is going to miss the St. Patricks day parade in Scranton. Truth be told, we won't be there either. We will be in Philly with our little ones going to the Philly flower show and please touch museum.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM

135 posts, read 230,185 times
Ahh, Scranton St. Patty's Day. One of the few things I miss about there and I wish I could be there but I'm soaking up the Cali sun and not being soaked in the Scranton rain. I agree with earlier posts regarding the Scranton parade as "not family friendly." I never went to the WB one, but I'm sure that's a little more family oriented. But back to the Scranton parade, I remember as a high schooler and college student waking up early and getting completely plastered. You have to live a little. Yes, I'm guilty for leaking in the parking lots in broad daylight. A lot of us are guilty of it! Then again PA is an anti-alcohol, temperance state so of course the increased enforcement and war on underage drinking causes more problems with alcohol than resolving them.

It way one of the few days in the year that I "loved" Scranton. The never-ending drinking on those days did get old, but now having not been to a parade in over six years, I hope to one day return. Minus acting like I'm 19 again and pissing near the parade route

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Well, my oldest daughter is currently at South Padre Island in Texas, having a lot of fun too, is my guess. With two mortgages, we are not in a real financial happy spot, but we bought her the airfare and the rest of the trip is on her dime. Which she earned working a job full-time and going to school full-time.

Too bad, she is going to miss the St. Patricks day parade in Scranton. Truth be told, we won't be there either. We will be in Philly with our little ones going to the Philly flower show and please touch museum.

ot---nice to hear she's a working student and lucky she has back up support for her ticket-----guess in my college years i was just too practical with my money,but made up for it after graduation-----been to show and museum--beats going to the parade

Old 03-12-2011, 05:10 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
Ahh, Scranton St. Patty's Day. One of the few things I miss about there and I wish I could be there but I'm soaking up the Cali sun and not being soaked in the Scranton rain. I agree with earlier posts regarding the Scranton parade as "not family friendly." I never went to the WB one, but I'm sure that's a little more family oriented. But back to the Scranton parade, I remember as a high schooler and college student waking up early and getting completely plastered. You have to live a little. Yes, I'm guilty for leaking in the parking lots in broad daylight. A lot of us are guilty of it! Then again PA is an anti-alcohol, temperance state so of course the increased enforcement and war on underage drinking causes more problems with alcohol than resolving them.

It way one of the few days in the year that I "loved" Scranton. The never-ending drinking on those days did get old, but now having not been to a parade in over six years, I hope to one day return. Minus acting like I'm 19 again and pissing near the parade route
Are you kidding? I don't believe drinking like a fish, puking all over and peeing on the streets is "living a little". It's acting like a drunken slob. I used to drink a lot in my twenties, but I have given it up all together. There is nothing wrong with someone having a little wine with dinner or kicking back on the couch with a beer after work. Everything should be done in moderation and this parade is not an example of that. It encourages getting up early and getting plastered. Public drinking and getting drunk is not cool when people are there with their families and children trying to enjoy the parade. If you must drink, do it after in a bar or at home.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Are you kidding? I don't believe drinking like a fish, puking all over and peeing on the streets is "living a little". It's acting like a drunken slob. I used to drink a lot in my twenties, but I have given it up all together. There is nothing wrong with someone having a little wine with dinner or kicking back on the couch with a beer after work. Everything should be done in moderation and this parade is not an example of that. It encourages getting up early and getting plastered. Public drinking and getting drunk is not cool when people are there with their families and children trying to enjoy the parade. If you must drink, do it after in a bar or at home.
Then don't do it.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Did you read his full post Magritte?

Beautiful day for a parade! Scranton's Saint Patrick Parade I hope tomorrow is just as nice. Residents and Visitors

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Did you read his full post Magritte?

Beautiful day for a parade! Scranton's Saint Patrick Parade I hope tomorrow is just as nice. Residents and Visitors
Yes I did.

I still say if you don't like it, don't do it.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:58 PM

135 posts, read 230,185 times
Quote:
Well, that's good you drink in moderation and I do too now. I'm just saying it really isn't too family friendly. They try, but in an area like that with not much to do (along with the many colleges in the area), heavy drinking tends to happen. I'm not saying I was proud of doing the things I did... it sometimes happened when there was overcrowding in public restrooms and hardly any porta johns. Believe me, a lot of people do stupid things on St. Patty's Day there... it just happens.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes I did.

I still say if you don't like it, don't do it.
You're not getting it. The parade is fine, good entertainment. It's the other stuff associated with it that's not cool, like drinking at 7 in the morning. You have such simplistic answers by saying not to go. What if I want to go, but don't feel like dealing with drunken amateurs. That's the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania