Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times

Advertisements

mechmt84 I not busting your chops but are you really going to try and argue about storms and hurricanes in NEPA. You do realize that I am the president of neighborhood assoc that has been flooded twice in the last two years from the reminents of one storm and a down graded hurricane i.e. tropical storm Ivan. If you really need me to I am sure my friends at the army corps could give me the data on the floods and storms. I understand your splitting hairs but I have lived it here and I am sure there will be more this year so why not
just back off and let it go becasue you are not proving anything to me or CHS89 since we both live here and have seen first hand what a hurricane can do here in Scranton. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
we both live here and have seen first hand what a hurricane can do here in Scranton. Thanks
What hurricanes?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:40 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no signal View Post

What is scranton like anyway? I've only passed through. From reading some of the threads on here, y'all got alot of problems
no more problems than anywhere else. But we do have a high number of complainers here in NE PA compared to most places.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Default Pictures Say a...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't.

Anyway, to answer your question, when you get one guy, a non-resident to boot, who only paints a sugar sweet picture of the town interacting with someone who cannot see anything but doom and despair, their "flamewars" are bound to happen. WLPA seems more able to concede a bit of positivity in Scranton, but only if directly pointed out to him. SWB's rose colored lenses are permanent, it would appear.

Both of their opinions need to be taken with a handful of salt most times, though.
But doesn't the pictures that SWB put on here say a thousand words.
Seeing is believing......
I'd say that Nay Aug Park with its educational and awesome environment is leading the way to a more beautified community.
I see great things happening in Scranton and some of it is expressed here in words..........and some........in wonderful living color.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no signal View Post
Yeah, I noticed. Don't mind my brother. He likes to troll alot because he doesn't have a life I think he has been banned.

I hate PA too, but reading his posts, he went way too far, lol.

Alot of people around here also bash Scranton. I get a kick out of it. It seems like Harrisburg has more problems than any other city in PA.
Hummm or did you mean Hazelton?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I'd say that Nay Aug Park with its educational and awesome environment is leading the way to a more beautified community.
I see great things happening in Scranton and some of it is expressed here in words..........and some........in wonderful living color.
I'm not saying that SWB's pictures aren't nice, and that they aren't worth a thousand words (just look at some of his posts...), I'm just saying that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. The same way that it isnt all just the flooding and pollution and boarded up windows that WLPA would have you believe it is. SOmewhere inbetween the two you'll find an accurate picture.

There is definite potential in Scranton. Well maintained 100 year old homes only tell a small portion of the story. For every well kept property in the upper hill, there's at least two rugged looking homes somewhere else in the city. That's not to say that Scranton is on the decline, either.

Substitute "Scranton" for just about any other similarly sized east coast city, and you can have the same thread a thousand times over.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Your kidding right, do think that the life that Norman Rockwell painted existed???? Pictuers only show whats on the surface.

Nay Aug, now what do mean by educational enviroment??? There is no educational anything at NAy Aug. The park is full of trash and no policed teenagers that are raising hell with families and the children that go there to use the palyground or see the treehouse or the new bridge. The Davis trail has raw seweage running across it and it has not been fixed, the greenhouse is falling down and the money for the repairs was spent on something no one knows what, the fish pond is green and we paid $1.7 million to have it fixed, What happened? Nay Aug is terrrible the park is falling apart the Hanlon grove amphitheater is still collapsed and in no way getting fixed anytime soon since there was no insurance on it. The natural sites of Nay Aug are beautiful but anything that has been touched by the city admin or parks and rec director Brazil is a mess and falling apart. When was the last time you were there????? Did you know the zoo was without water for the entire winter, the water for the animals had to be brought in by bottle. Like I said pictures only show you the surface and thats it. Paul does a great job with the tours but he refuses to acknowledge the underlying issues and problems that SCranton has and the uphill battles that the residents face on any given day.
A picture is one milisecond of time caught at a stand still they show you nothing about what the city is truely like.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Right on Daniel. Anyone can see anything with rose colored glasses. I've been to Nay Aug and like you said it isn't that great. Although I haven't yet visited Doherty's treeshack and the bridge to nowhere. That might be something to see. Yeah right!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Default A great time had by all

I really feel that pictures don't lie. There can be more to a story.........
But, what was in that picture, is there. Taken at that moment in time.
My grown daughter her neighbor friend and their 4 children had a marvelous time at the park. ( coming from the Forks, Pa area)
Believe me she is opinionated and well educated.......she had nothing bad to say about the park at all.
This was before the tree-house was built which I'm sure they all would love to stand in.
There was an informative event that day.........I gave them the information on it.....they went and had fun......with no complaints.
If it was dirty, boring, scarey, unkempt, and unsafe..........I would have been the first to hear about it......

Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Believe me she is opinionated and well educated.......she had nothing bad to say about the park at all.
If it was dirty, boring, scarey, unkempt, and unsafe..........I would have been the first to hear about it......

Can you please explain to me what being well educated has do with any of this??? What exactly did you mean by saying that??

I am sure you would have, so when was the last time you , actually yourself was in Nay Aug park???????
Well first off there is raw sewage running across the trail from the zoo and this is a known fact and I am not alone on this one, Second I never said it was unsafe just full of teenagers now that school is out and it is not fun dealing with a bridge or a treehouse full of teenage kids, not to mention in another thread we talked my mom taking my son to the playground with his friend for the two 8 yr olds to find 2 teenagers going at it in the tube in the childrens playground. The park is dirty and there is trash all over the place and again I am not alone on this. Again I am just curious when was the last time you were in the park or do you just go by the info you get from Well Educated folks and not your own eyes right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania