Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:39 PM

210 posts, read 402,372 times

Advertisements

What is it that all these "helpers" don't know about? I mean can they not cut straight, or drive a nail, or not know the dif between a 2x4 and a 2x6? Or do they think "dimensional lumber" is something from the " Twighlight Zone" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 PM

407 posts, read 967,100 times
OK think about America circa 1960's (as far back as I can remember)...now think about America 2010. I mean come on...does this even resemble America anymore? Not to me really. We've "progressed" to the point of being unrecognizable and have actually lost freedom while we are being told we are gaining freedom. Hand outs are expected. Most poor people don't have a clue what poverty is, and people do not have a good work ethic anymore. I don't even blame the kids today, it's the country they are being brought up in.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
OK think about America circa 1960's (as far back as I can remember)...now think about America 2010. I mean come on...does this even resemble America anymore? Not to me really. We've "progressed" to the point of being unrecognizable and have actually lost freedom while we are being told we are gaining freedom. Hand outs are expected. Most poor people don't have a clue what poverty is, and people do not have a good work ethic anymore. I don't even blame the kids today, it's the country they are being brought up in.
Reps for you!!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 AM

I agree 100% with that, I also remember back to the late 50's early 60's. But I remember stories my dad told me about living through the great depression in New Hampshire being one of ten kids. Not that I would wish that level of deprivation on anyone, but you have to admit it was a great character builder. Imagine working all week for less than a dollar (before and after school), and imagine a 5 cent loaf of bread also. We've put profit so far ahead of quality and pride in workmanship that yes the country is barely recognizable. Remember ralph Cramden? He was a city bus driver and Ed norton was a sewer worker. (1950's the Honemooners) But they made a television show about them and their wives. Fast forward to the brady bunch, husband with 3 kids and new wife also with 3 kids. Live in a marvelous home, Dad goes to work in suit and tie Mom is stay at home mom, but has a housekeeper (Alice) Never any leaves in the yard for the kids to rake, no lawn to mow snow to shivel, just live in the pleasant lane. In my mind Ralph and Ed had it much better because they knew where they came from, where they were going and more importantly how to GET there! Kids today by and large don't have a road map and we need to be sure that some of them not only get that map but also how to read it and the internal fortitude to go forward without the promise that everything will be all right. Thats life, sometimes you win simetimes you come in 2nd or third, and sometimes you even loose! BUt you get back up dust yourself off and go at it again! When enough people have this type of ethic then the country will be on its way to being recognized again maybe.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:02 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
After This job is done , Im not taking on any more jobs that I cant do myself or maybe with a day laborer , I cant handle the stupidity of some people ,, They are just DUMB . Do stupid things and put NO PRIDE into their work.

But they want a grand a week for work I would not pay $10 for .. Im shaking my head in disbelief ..

Its going to be a LONG summer

Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
I wonder how many of these responses were posted AT WORK?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM

No need for me to post mine, my foremen will vouch for my work

Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 AM

25 posts, read 75,992 times
People today want to start at the top of the ladder and get paid top rate. They don't want to "earn" a good position anymore.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Yeah, and if they don't learn how to climb the ladder the PROPER way if they slip they are confused when they land at the bottom and swear it's "somebody else's" fault. I've worked with kids who all want to do the fancy metal work, but have no idea what goes into preparing the under insulation, and wonder why the 1000 degree heat turns the metal blue. That reflects very badly on the whole crew.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
I Tell these people that if you fall off the ladder ,YOUR FIRED before you hit the ground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania