Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,294 times

Advertisements

I have been through 3 guys in less than 3 months .. Dont people wanna work. I have heard every excuse , and reason on why they cant make it in and why they have to leave early ..

Why cant I find decent help up here ?

I just dont get it .. Guys wanna work 3 days a week and get an advance before the end of the week .. On the phone , read the tape upside down..

Sheeshhh I just dont get it ..

I flip houses ,,Its not like its hard work nor building rockets .. Its INDOORS and very casual .. WTF is wrong with people today ... ( shaking my head )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,826,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I have been through 3 guys in less than 3 months ..
sounds like a relationship forum topic

Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
sounds like a relationship forum topic

Ha Ha

I guess it sounds that way ..

But this is a WORK issue . I cant find good help.. ( Construction)

Maybe thats why everywhere places are closing down ..

Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
I can't say for certain, but do you think it might have something to do with people getting used to government hand-outs? I believe that we need to help folks over the rough spots, I had one or two myself, but I only took what I absolutely needed for my children and before the second check arrived I was employed - once had three part-time jobs (no benefits) at one time.

Unfortunately, there are those for whom hand-outs become a way of life and thus the attitude, why should I work when I can stay home and get money for nothing?

Somewhere, there is someone who wants to step up and take care of himself and family if he has one. "You have to kiss a lot of toads before you find the handsome prince" LOL

Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I have been through 3 guys in less than 3 months .. Dont people wanna work. I have heard every excuse , and reason on why they cant make it in and why they have to leave early ..

Why cant I find decent help up here ?

I just dont get it .. Guys wanna work 3 days a week and get an advance before the end of the week .. On the phone , read the tape upside down..

Sheeshhh I just dont get it ..

I flip houses ,,Its not like its hard work nor building rockets .. Its INDOORS and very casual .. WTF is wrong with people today ... ( shaking my head )
Maybe you can ask for references next time.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 AM

307 posts, read 768,135 times
We have had the same problem for the past few years. Everyone wants a job, no one wants to work. (construction also) You have to search for workers and then they only want to work one or two days a week. They work great for the first few weeks then things go down hill.(My husband always says a new broom sweeps clean. lol Its annoying. And we pay very well. It is crazy. We refuse to do advances anymore. Everyone is looking for a job, but no one wants to work.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Riverside4ever,
Back in the 1970’s I had a lawnmower sales/repair shop. I could say the same thing about workers back then. My working pool was from young men that had Votech training in fixing automobiles. They tended to be gorillas on small engines and booked off without warning. It was easier to fire back in the 1970’s.
The question is: How do you find workers with the right work ethics and training?
Perhaps employers are partially responsible today? Very few advertised jobs that state all the requirements or the actual job pay. The on the job training/orientation should make the consequences of poor attendance/performance clear. Hiring workers is basically writing a contract - make sure they know what you expect.
Many young people today have never had to work under adverse conditions: cold, heat, chemicals, pain, sweat, etc. To save backs we have sissified many jobs. However; there are still some jobs that require hard physical work under adverse conditions - see if you can find a mason’s helper out of work or a roofer - just make sure they did not loose their job because of performance.
Social Security only allows me to work until I reach the magic number of $14,160 - I took early retirement. While making this money today; I do run across some workers with the right work ethics. There are many that do not have any work ethics - I do not know if it is any harder today, than it was forty years ago, to find workers with the right stuff?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 AM

Some people just want to have everything handed to them.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM

307 posts, read 768,135 times
Well in our business we hire men, and usually men cant qualify for the handouts, so I dont have any idea why they dont want to work. I think what they do is work just long enough to be able to survive a few weeks without having to work. Then they do it all over again.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Seems like only the ""Real"" men wanna go out and earn , The rest spend their day in the bar or in front of a TV with a game system in their hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania