Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,572 times

Advertisements

Hello there! I grew up in Wilkes-Barre and am packing my things and heading home in a few weeks. Since leaving the great northeast, I have lived in Seattle and Boulder, CO- voted the healthiest city so the change in lifestyle may be severe. Now, I love northeastern PA but lets be honest- it is a rather unhealthy place to live. The thing I will miss most is locally grown, organic produce and animal products. Can anyone out there recommend places to purchase local produce priced fairly? I'm aware that Wegman's has a good selection but I'm looking for something local if possible. Also- I've become attached to public transportation for many reasons (cheaper, encourages exercise, better for environment not to mention great when you've had a few too many drinks and lets be honest, drinking is a sport in the valley.), and am wondering if it has been enhanced at all since I've been there. Do buses run late, easily accessible, etc.? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I don't think any PLACE can be inherently healthy or unhealthy...sure NEPA has a lot of UNHEALTHY people, but that's because of poor lifestyle choices like poor diet, smoking, excessive drinking, and lack of exercise. There are plenty of opportunities to be healthy in this area...lots of outdoor recreational options, and you can eat healthy anywhere...and there are a lot of local farms selling produce in the area.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 03-12-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 AM

203 posts, read 577,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I don't think any PLACE can be inherently healthy or unhealthy...sure NEPA has a lot of UNHEALTHY people, but that's because of poor lifestyle choices like poor diet, smoking, excessive drinking, and lack of exercise. Therev are plenty of opportunities to be healthy in this area...lots of outdoor recreational options, and you can eat healthy anywhere...and there are a lot of local farms selling produce in the area.
I agree completely. It is what YOU make of it. If you are based in WB, there is always the farmers market that should be starting up again in April or May, there are plenty of parks, gyms, etc. I have even been to a nice wall-climbing type of place that is directly in downtown WB (near one of the movie theaters.) I've lived in NEPA all of my life, although not all in Scranton, and my family is NOT unhealthy. We are active & eat healthily & do not drink regularly (I couldn't tell you the last time I had a drink but am not a non-drinker) and we are happy.
If you are committed to living a healthy lifestyle, than you can do it.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 AM

36 posts, read 70,760 times
I think it's tough to blame a beer gut on geography.

I live in a rural area by Waymart, but manage to live a very healthy lifestyle. I even go to the gym everyday.

FYI, Manning's has great all natural dairy products.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Just to reassure you, Wegman's carries local produce in season...Or you could kill two birds - plant a little vegetable garden...Exercise and fresh veggies...Welcome back.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Not too many fat people in Susquehanna Trailers Hiking Club from what I see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania