Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

Magritte, all due respect, but the Quick Facts from the Census Bureau stating 5.1% is old information. W-B proud was likely extrapolating 25% based on personal observation.
When the 2010 Census is completed and tabulated later this year, we'll probably have more accurate figures. The W-B Area school district lists the racial make-up of the student body as 69% white, 18% black.

www.localschooldirectory.com/districtschools/...wilkes--barre-area-school-district/pa (http://www.localschooldirectory.com/districtschools/...wilkes--barre-area-school-district/pa - broken link)

In any event, the point seems to be moot, since the OP no longer seems to be interested in the discussion, in which it is erroneously stated that the black population is "1%", while not quoting a source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I understand TG. But since it's the most updated official record of demographics I used it. Race percentages in schools are not the same as for a whole city, kwim?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times
I'm not getting involved in this one. :-)

Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Awww...why not MOON? Come on!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,346 times
i went to school in wilkes barre and lived in kingston for a few years while in college. so i would say that there are plenty of blacks in wilkes-barre. I grew up in the DC area and I would say you should be alright. Some on the NEPA old timers have a tough time letting go but most people in the area are really nice. My roomate from college was from Camden, NJ and he would always joke about not messing with the cops / back mountain boys, but he always did fine for himself. You will probably notice a larger black population in downtown wilkes-barre. so if ur looking for a place to live that may make you more comfortable.. but really its a nice place to live.. just tell them your daddy was a coal cracker and you'll fit right in.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I would peg the African-American population in the city of Wilkes-Barre in 2010 at roughly 10%. That's not a lot, but the city has become much more diverse than it was even in 2000 as more people from NY/NJ/SEPA continue to move here. 2009 estimates show Luzerne County has grown considerably in 2009 over 2008 while Lackawanna County (Scranton) has shrunk. Much of the growth is due to the massive influx of minorities from the cities into Luzerne County. Wilkes-Barre is probably the most socially liberal medium-sized city in the region; it even hosts the area's only formal annual gay pride rally, and it was the site of a major publicity stunt pulled by the ACLU and Atheists over a nativity scene at the courthouse. Surprisingly on a per capita basis nearby Pittston is technically the most liberal spot in NEPA. In 2008 roughly 70% of voters in Pittston voted for Obama, including myself and mostly everyone I knew.

I'd say there is more hostility towards Hispanics (especially Hazleton/Shenandoah) and gays (same-sex civil equality opponents) than towards African-Americans.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Awww...why not MOON? Come on!
I'm not walking in to the obvious troll post that will strike racial debate between dozens of people on this forum.

I know how i feel. I know how others feel. I'm not going to argue over this.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I would peg the African-American population in the city of Wilkes-Barre in 2010 at roughly 10%. That's not a lot, but the city has become much more diverse than it was even in 2000 as more people from NY/NJ/SEPA continue to move here. 2009 estimates show Luzerne County has grown considerably in 2009 over 2008 while Lackawanna County (Scranton) has shrunk. Much of the growth is due to the massive influx of minorities from the cities into Luzerne County. Wilkes-Barre is probably the most socially liberal medium-sized city in the region; it even hosts the area's only formal annual gay pride rally, and it was the site of a major publicity stunt pulled by the ACLU and Atheists over a nativity scene at the courthouse. Surprisingly on a per capita basis nearby Pittston is technically the most liberal spot in NEPA. In 2008 roughly 70% of voters in Pittston voted for Obama, including myself and mostly everyone I knew.

I'd say there is more hostility towards Hispanics (especially Hazleton/Shenandoah) and gays (same-sex civil equality opponents) than towards African-Americans.

I would tend to agree with this.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:10 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
What difference does it make what color you are .. This is AMERICA ....
She just wanted to know how many lived there since she is one herself. Probably wondering if it would be harder to make friends and if people would be more accepting if there was a higher population of black people.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
From CensusScope.org

The area (Wyoming Valley) also has the highest percentage of non-Hispanic whites of any U.S. metropolitan area with a population over 500,000, with 96.2% of the population stating their race as white alone and not claiming Hispanic ethnicity.
CensusScope -- Percent Female Ranking, 2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania