Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that they would recover from the loss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
"All newly hired state employees would be required to live in New Jersey under legislation proposed today by three New Jersey lawmakers, according to a report in the Asbury Park Press.
Although the law would not apply to current employees, it would affect new workers hired in the executive, legislative and judicial branches, the report explains, quoting this written statement by State Sen. Christopher J. Connors: "This legislation would set in motion a plan whereby a greater portion and eventually all state employees will share in the tax burden that provides for their employment.''

Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
I can't believe that NJ state employees were allowed to live in another state to begin with. PA state employees have to live in PA.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
The Poconos is full of welfare cheats claiming benefits with NY city addresses...even NYC cops live out here so why all the surprise...it's about time one state has the balls to take the initiative...

Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richinpa View Post
Most NJ state jobs are located in the State Capital, Trenton. Trenton is directly across the Deleware from Morrisville, PA. My mother worked for the state for 20+ years and always lived in PA, many others have a similar situation. There are literally thousands of PA residents that work in NJ, this law would absolutely be devastating to Bucks County.
I’m curious how many NJ State employees live in Monroe and Pike County? You mentioned Buck County - that is not the only PA bordering on NJ County.
With a narrow window to sell and relocate (to keep your job) this could further depress home values. I would be interested in how many would be affected and how many would move for their job?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I’m curious how many NJ State employees live in Monroe and Pike County? You mentioned Buck County - that is not the only PA bordering on NJ County.
With a narrow window to sell and relocate (to keep your job) this could further depress home values. I would be interested in how many would be affected and how many would move for their job?
Yes, but you can practically spit across the Delaware from Bucks County to Trenton...George did it standing up in a rowboat...

It isn't likely that anyone will have to sell and relocate...The proposed bill pertains to the newly hired...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 PM

148 posts, read 265,452 times
It's a great idea!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Exactly Rich........Many asked their place of business about the rules before moving into Pa. Everyone I know received an answer that it is allowed, and that there would be no issue with the move. There are plenty of people who have lived in PA and work in NJ for 20 years or more. So this will be quite a hardship to people who have moved our way, and would be required now to head back to NJ.
Sure, homes were cheaper here......and you bet......taxes are cheaper. That was part of the reason for the move. Sure, and that sounds ok to me.
NJ is getting very overpriced for the average worker. It is just a huge burden for people. It has gone overboard........
If this happens it would be a sad day. Tons of people would have to sell their homes in Pa. causing this state to crash.......( too many homes for sale, no buyers )
NJ could again, overprice their homes ( even more so) and it would be hard for someone to move back.
I think people here need to be "grandfathered." For their personal sakes and for our own states sake.
I did read this online down here and I was floored.
What would be wrong with someone wanting a "fair" priced home and "fair" taxes.
Its the smart thing to do.
NJ is overpriced and overtaxed.......Thank goodness for a place called PA.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
The Poconos is full of welfare cheats claiming benefits with NY city addresses...even NYC cops live out here so why all the surprise...it's about time one state has the balls to take the initiative...
David Webb.......Would you live in Hackettstown, New JERSEY and pay
12,000 in taxes for a bilevel?
Or ......Would you live in PA and pay less then half of that?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:54 AM

Chicken Little was right.

www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/.../proposed_bill_would_require_st.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania