U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 44,965 times

Advertisements

looking to purchase a weekend/vacation home and could use some advice.

DH loves Pocono Springs, but I'm afraid it will be boring for our 2 kids (15 & 12) in the winter with no indoor pool or game room/rec center. They dont ski!

My realtor says Emerald Lakes is in a not good area, and there was a murder there at a Halloween party...does anyone have any knowledge?

Fawn Lake is great, but a bit far from Northern Nj where we live.

The more I look and read, the more confused I get!! And seems I know more than my realtor - he had no idea Fawn Lake had such a nice indoor clubhouse/game room/indoor pool until we made him show us a home there!!

If anyone has any input on the communites of Emerald Lake and Arrowhead Lakes, or any others we should consider, I appreciate the advice!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 AM

5,046 posts, read 5,185,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules0804 View Post
looking to purchase a weekend/vacation home and could use some advice.

DH loves Pocono Springs, but I'm afraid it will be boring for our 2 kids (15 & 12) in the winter with no indoor pool or game room/rec center. They dont ski!

My realtor says Emerald Lakes is in a not good area, and there was a murder there at a Halloween party...does anyone have any knowledge?

Fawn Lake is great, but a bit far from Northern Nj where we live.

The more I look and read, the more confused I get!! And seems I know more than my realtor - he had no idea Fawn Lake had such a nice indoor clubhouse/game room/indoor pool until we made him show us a home there!!

If anyone has any input on the communites of Emerald Lake and Arrowhead Lakes, or any others we should consider, I appreciate the advice!!
Try wle or the Hideout. Lots to do in winter.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 AM

Thanks Dorothy. Already looked at WLE and felt the homes were too close together. ANd Hideout had no indoor pool and doesn't allow golf carts.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:46 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,837,854 times
If your realtor is from the area where Emerald Lakes / Arrowhead lakes it makes sense that he wouldn't know much about Fawn Lake. I know Fawn Lake very well but couldn't find Emerald Lakes or Arrowhead lakes or tell anyone about them - they are out of my market area and I would refer customers to an agent who does know the area. So don't be exasperated w/ your realtor if he's uncertain of amenities in unfamiliar areas - nobody can know it all.

Murders happen everywhere, anywhere. I would find out more about the situation -was it a domestic dispute? Personal revenge between two parties? Gangs? Was it the only incident of its nature to occur there in a long time or does it happen on a frequent basis? Without knowing more about the situation (call the state police) I would hesitate to mark off an area simply because of that....otherwise you'd end up living NOWHERE.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Thank you Karen. What you're saying makes great sense!! I guess I'm just getting frustrated at this point....need to take a breath and re-group.

And btw, thank you very much for responding to my DM's....you're very kind to take the time.

I've suggested to my DH that we take a day to ride around in some of the communities we are considering at this point, such as Arrowhead Lake and Emerald Lake. Esp. now that the weather is getting nicer and people are out and about - we'll know pretty quickly if it's a community to consider.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 PM

Kris - sent you an email. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 PM

9,480 posts, read 11,638,893 times
I'd like to add that Lake Naomi has an indoor pool & is a great vacation community, as well.
Pennsylvania Family Vacations, Family Fun, Kids Camp – PA Teen Adventures, Pennsylvania Tennis Center, Olympic Size Pool, Private Golf Course

Arrowhead does not have an indoor pool, I know they are building a new lodge to replace their old one, but it will not have an indoor pool.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM

Thank you Poconoproud.....I think Lake Naomi looks beautiful, and seems to have everything we're looking for.
Unfortunately I have yet to find any listings there in our price range (upper limit is $120,000). But DH is extremely handy, so maybe we'll get lucky a a "fixer-upper" will come our way!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 AM

212 posts, read 474,459 times
is Lake Naomi a private gated community? Yes price seems to be out of our range as well for a vacation/weekend home...

Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,664,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
is Lake Naomi a private gated community? Yes price seems to be out of our range as well for a vacation/weekend home...
Lake Naomi is not gated although there is a development within (Timber Trails) that shares amenities and is gated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania