Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,944 times

Advertisements

I am brand new to this forum & just wanted to say Hello & how glad I am to have found this group. I was looking online for pictures of the Agnes flood of '72 ~ we are experiencing severe flooding in Coastal CT & it brought back memories of a book my father had when I was a little girl.

I was born in Wilkes-Barre & lived in Alden Station, Nanticoke for 12 years. I have very, very fond memories of my childhood in this area. My grandfather was a coal miner in Simpson & therefore, I'm very proud of my coal-mining roots. I am fascinated by life in NEPA and don't get to visit quite as often as I'd like.

I have an Aunt & a few other living relatives who live in the Scranton area currently.

I look forward to reading up on what's been going on in my old home-town & hope to find some pictures of my old stomping grounds.

Cheers,
Kira
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,562 times
Nice to have you! Stay safe and dry up your way...it must be pretty bad!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
My family doesn't have any pics of the flood, although we lived by the river at that time. I was just a baby.. my parents lost their home and that is when we moved to the Thornhurst area, where I grew up. You can google search such images, though, there are quite a few that come up.

I remember a story my grandparents told me about the flood... that after the cemetary was destroyed, caskets started floating down the street, and that one of them arrived at the correct home.... wonder if that was true, or just another of my grandpa's crazy stories??

Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 AM

203 posts, read 577,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
My family doesn't have any pics of the flood, although we lived by the river at that time. I was just a baby.. my parents lost their home and that is when we moved to the Thornhurst area, where I grew up. You can google search such images, though, there are quite a few that come up.

I remember a story my grandparents told me about the flood... that after the cemetary was destroyed, caskets started floating down the street, and that one of them arrived at the correct home.... wonder if that was true, or just another of my grandpa's crazy stories??

I wonder if it is true? My FIL told me the same story.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 7,944 times
I recall hearing stories about the caskets floating out of the cemetary too, but surely never heard about one arriving at its home. Goodness!! I can remember driving over the bridge from I think it was Kingston to Plymouth when I was younger, early 80s, and every spring the river would look as it if was inches away from the bridge. I used to get so freaked out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania