Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling the new Super WalMart in Taylor, just south of the Scranton line will be built and opened before they even start constructing the one in Pittston Twp. I also heard that the new strip mall in the Pittston Crossings will be built first and before the WalMart, but with this dispute who knows.

I see that they're realigning Armstrong Road near Pollock Cheverlot, so the trucks coming off of 81 won't have to make such a tight turn going to the new distribution centers being built. Maybe they will eventually make an access road on the back side of the Pittston Crossings complex down the hill and over the tracks to the Pittston bypass and shopping center, maybe near Redner's, so people won't have to go up Oak or around through Dupont to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
miamiman,

If you know in in advance you willl find these posts redundant, why do you open them? Trying to censor people here (even if it is through social pressure) really isn't your job. If your priorities are elsewhere, why not go elsewhere?
I open the post because I generally find what SWB says entertaining, and sometimes humourous. I have never met someone who has contradicted themselves. On the one hand I hear SWB talk about how New York and New Jersey residents are ruining the Poconos, by ::gasp:: developing the area that they are moving into. I have read at least three posts of SWB's where he talks about the New Yorkers who have "nasty attitudes" and do not feel like saying "hi" and "thank you" to everyone they pass. However, when a New Yorker happens to express interest, he is so desperate for Scranton's revitalization that he tries to direct them into the city. If New Yorkers carry so many problems, why attempt to direct them to the towns that you're trying to revitalize?

Face it, the majority of residents in Scranton do not care about change. They're used to a deteriorating city, and likely care less about development, as long as the neighborhood institutions that they've frequented are still open. It will take a large group of open-minded, innovative people to facilitate change in the Wyoming Valley. That group, save for a small amount of activists, is largely absent in the area. Even if the number of local activists is growing, there will also be a larger group of residents who just prefer that things are left the way they are. I am simply saying, instead of coming on here and complaining to anyone who happens to trip on his posts, why not convince residents that Scranton is in need for change. County commissioners can only do so much without INTENSE public backing. Until you get those people who are 55 and have only left their block twice in their life to open their minds, it's a lost cause.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Your constant condascending posts are also annoying and irritating. Adios.
Ha, "constant condascending posts." Just because someone is able to see above your permanent rose-colored glasses and your close-minded attitude of how the world works, doesn't make them condascending. You are 20 years old and think you know EVERYTHING there is to know about urban planning. You're take that people who live in the suburbs are "buffoons" and are "immoral" just shows how close-minded you are. You sound like a planning version of some religious nutcase. I have never tried to prove to you that suburban development is somehow BETTER than urban development, whcih you seem to be stuck on. However, I have noted a general fact that people are moving out of many cities, such as Scranton, due to lifestyle choices, better schools, among a host of reasons. You fail to even acknowledge that people move to suburban areas for these purposes. Your close-minded nature leads you to believe that people move out to the suburbs to lead wasteful, immoral lives. That, there, is where my problem is with you. I am not going to sit here, reading your generalized, deragotory name-calling of tens of millions Americans who you don't even know. It is beyond ridiculous that you cannot handle someone who disagrees with you without feeling like they are being condascending, or feeling hurt. Please. Not everyone shares your same ideas, and I am one of the people who will call you out, so the newcomers on this forum do not believe that everyone is as delerious as you.

END

Old 06-08-2007, 05:01 AM

5 posts, read 18,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Not everyone shares your same ideas, and I am one of the people who will call you out, so the newcomers on this forum do not believe that everyone is as delerious as you.
It's one thing to counter someone's opinion. It's quite another to attempt to shut-down a discussion:

"Please complain to people who actually care. Gracias."

As a newcomer with a fully-functioning brain of my own, I prefer to read all of the posts and make my own judgments on what to keep and what to discard.

Counter, respond, contradict. But please don't attempt to extinguish relevent posts.

They're called "forums" for a reason.

Thank you.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:02 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Ha, "constant condascending posts." Just because someone is able to see above your permanent rose-colored glasses and your close-minded attitude of how the world works, doesn't make them condascending. You are 20 years old and think you know EVERYTHING there is to know about urban planning. You're take that people who live in the suburbs are "buffoons" and are "immoral" just shows how close-minded you are. You sound like a planning version of some religious nutcase. I have never tried to prove to you that suburban development is somehow BETTER than urban development, whcih you seem to be stuck on. However, I have noted a general fact that people are moving out of many cities, such as Scranton, due to lifestyle choices, better schools, among a host of reasons. You fail to even acknowledge that people move to suburban areas for these purposes. Your close-minded nature leads you to believe that people move out to the suburbs to lead wasteful, immoral lives. That, there, is where my problem is with you. I am not going to sit here, reading your generalized, deragotory name-calling of tens of millions Americans who you don't even know. It is beyond ridiculous that you cannot handle someone who disagrees with you without feeling like they are being condascending, or feeling hurt. Please. Not everyone shares your same ideas, and I am one of the people who will call you out, so the newcomers on this forum do not believe that everyone is as delerious as you.

END
I'm still awaiting YOUR input on how we can "encourage" urban sprawl while also saving both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'm still awaiting YOUR input on how we can "encourage" urban sprawl while also saving both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.
You can't. You see how much the county commissioners are interested in saving Scranton. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are old news.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukie View Post
It's one thing to counter someone's opinion. It's quite another to attempt to shut-down a discussion:

"Please complain to people who actually care. Gracias."

As a newcomer with a fully-functioning brain of my own, I prefer to read all of the posts and make my own judgments on what to keep and what to discard.

Counter, respond, contradict. But please don't attempt to extinguish relevent posts.

They're called "forums" for a reason.

Thank you.

Well, I am glad that you have appointed yourself the voice of all newcomers on this forum. If ScrantonWilkesBarre can tell you the upsides of the Wyoming Valley, I certainly have the right to tell you the downsides. I really could care less if I am looked at as being condenscending because I provide a different observation of the area than most on the forum. You completely have the right to take what information you want from my posts, if any. SWB often likes to leave information out of his posts, that would paint a completely different picture, if stated. For example, when SWB wants to tell you that Lackawanna County has been growing for the past year, I will tell you that Lackawanna County only added 330 people in that time frame. For a population of more than 215,000, 300 people is not significant enough to make ANY assumptions about where those people are coming from.

Until I have people stop privately thanking me for my insight, I will continue to be the voice of reason. SWB attempts to trick people into what to what Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has to offer. I have experienced living and visiting the area first hand, and I can effectively talk about my experience from an "outsiders" perspective.

Lastly, I am definitely NOT interested in seeing Scranton and Wilkes-Barre jump back. I live in Arizona now, and as far as I am concerned Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are horrible places to live. The RAPID decline in population reflects people distaste for what these two large towns have to have offer (not much). I think it's a very smart and conscious move for residents of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to move to suburban area from lifestyle purposes, cleaner air, better schools, and more recreational activities. This movement certainly will not help Scranton and Wilkes-Barre in their revitalization efforts, but if so many people are moving elsewhere, why direct more time and energy on Scranton and Wilkes-Barre?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:34 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Default Scranton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Isn't that good? The dump of Scranton is going to hell in a handbasket, but there is a nice city developing around it. Man, you be complainin' about nuttin'
I don't live in Scranton........but I love to go to Scranton. I love that Dickson City is so close with all the shopping. I love that it has a bus line to just about all the places I need to go. I love the park, and so do my grown children. Thank you to the person who put on the pictures, the town is working hard to beautify itself.........and grow....wonderful.
Its an old time ,charming town.......might I add with a great heart hospital, some good colleges, nice restaurants.
I'm so glad to live not that far from this town. I think it is all positive......besides that all towns have their own issues to work on.
Might I add that the area has the most gorgeous mountains that will take your breath away..........and I realize some would rather see deserts.
As you come down the turnpike and get to one area, the lights of the city of Scranton are awesome.
At Christmas, off I head to Dickson City........there is every store and shop you need. From the Pier Ones, to the Raymour and Flannigans......to Home Depot and Lowes.......to Sams Club, the Viewmont Mall........everything you need is there in one area for your shopping day.
Wilkes Barre is nestled in the mountains also. It has the biggest veterans Hospital I have ever seen, some wonderful Malls, and nice places to live.
There is nothing wrong with the area at all......in fact........the taxes are nice and low. That..........is hard to come by now a days. I plan to move there just for these above reasons alone.......and say goodbye to the high, high, taxes of other places I have lived. Can't wait!

Last edited by Summering; 06-08-2007 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: words...

Old 06-08-2007, 02:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Default Pittston

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I heard the Pittston Crossings have been postponed another year, something about the owner of the land and the owner of the mineral rights to the land are different or something like that, and there's a dispute about this. I heard once the new Super WalMart is built, the old WalMart across the street will become a Home Depot, so at least an empty big box won't be left there.
For the very first time I traveled through Pittston........I've known the name, but not the town. All I can say is I wish I had a Walmart closer to me. I get my best grocery prices there out of the 4 major grocery chains I go to.
While traveling through Pittston, I was so delighted to see how everyone has taken the older charming homes and splendidly worked on them. Not just one on a street or two on a street......but, everyone has done such a great job.
All the flags were draped just so, most likely from the Memorial Day Parade......There must be some very proud people here to have taken these historical homes and made them grand again. I would not dismay of Walmart....you can get the best prices on the things you want. I travel a minimum of a half an hour to a Home Depot. One north of me and one south........I would not disapprove of having one a bit closer either.
Progress can be good........I hope the stores work out the issues and come your way. I think you'd be happy once they are there...........

Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 PM

259 posts, read 939,036 times
Its a sad sorry mess isn't it! Developers do not care about the deterioration of older cities. All that they care about is making money off land flipping deals and then scattering like rats after building developments are completed.
They do not adequately develop the regions infastructure before begining construction. Years ago the municipal services of an area had to be fully upgraded before construction could begin! That is sidewalks, roads, bridges, schools, public water gas lines etc.

On the other hand Ya know it is a shame how the regions older towns and cities declined after the flood of 72! Whole downtowns were washed away and they never fully rebuilt. Stores and other businesses never returned after the flood! Does anybody remember the Wilkes barre sub-stations? And all the stores that used to line main street in Plymouth? What made this situation worse is that Flood Insurance money was doled out and people took the money and ran to the ends of the earth with it! You never saw most of these people again! A great many went and built homes up in the mountains! I know some people who still live in the original 1973 flood relief trailor up in Hunlock!

One problem since the big flood is that a growing number of people who are moving to the older areas are now making a living by living off the government. That is living off of SSI and other types of government assitance programs! Drug dealings and all the rest. Drug shoot outs in Plymouth - Wilkes-Barre - Larkesville and many other places. And downntown Scranton JUSSUUU!!!

Most of the older areas are built on top of abandoned coal tunnels many of which could cave in at any time! Why Look at how the mining industry ruined the landscape Hazelton! The city is built over a fault line! The center of the town is sunken like the fold of a book. The outer edges of town are elevated and the center is sinking. Not to mention the fire that is still burning since 62 in some of the coal mines up in the counties further west. I remember the fires that used to burn in the underground mineshafts in the towns in the valley and near the intersection point along 115 where the road meets the turnpike before you go into wilkes-Barre! Some think the dikes along the Sus river were allowed to fall into disrepair so when the river flooded it would flood the mines and the fires would stop. Well this is quite true after the flood all underground fires mysteriously stoped down in the valley. I know many people who left the area years ago and would never go back no matter how much you paid them! Some say maybe the newer areas in the mountains but never down in the valley or older towns!

And Pittston haa ha! Who would want to live there after the Sardoni legacy! I guess there are plenty of NYC Guweidos suckers who are willing to settle there!

Last edited by Dee62; 06-08-2007 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania