Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

In addition to all of the recent improvements Downtown Wilkes-Barre has enjoyed over the past several years of Mayor Thomas Leighton's great leadership, it was just announced today by Gov. Ed Rendell that a medical services company will be bringing 96 "family-sustaining" white-collar jobs to Public Square. Federal Review Services, LLC, a new start-up, will be locating its corporate headquarters here and create those jobs over the next three years as the company grows.

This may be premature, but I believe this firm may be the first of many in the medical field to locate here or create more well-paying career opportunities here as a spin-off benefit of the Commonwealth Medical College (that will have a Wilkes-Barre campus) that you anti-progress people in Scranton have begrudged so much.

Those who wish to learn more can read about it at this link to a related article in the Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader

Nearly 100 jobs coming to downtown Wilkes-Barre | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Nearly-100-jobs-coming-to-downtown-Wilkes-Barre.html - broken link)

I have an aunt employed in the medical services industry and a first cousin who is enrolled (and loving) the new medical school in Scranton (and loving the city as well, along with all of her friends---contrary to what the Doomers projected on the vile Scranton Times-Tribune comments sections). Hopefully both will continue to thrive in the area as the school continues to grow and nurture more start-ups such as this.

Great news! Go Wilkes-Barre! 100 new people to patronize downtown restaurants and stores, hit up the farmers' market, walk in the riverfront park, etc. That's also 100 prospective new loft tenants for the impending downtown housing boom. I can't wait to see a few predictable people try to put a negative tilt on this (i.e. "Why isn't it 200 jobs?", "Too little, too late", "Why Wilkes-Barre and not Scranton?", yada, yada, yada). You just can't please some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Good news for the WB. But, yeah, why Wilkes-Barre and not Scranton?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Medical services, huh? I'll place my bet that this ends up being $9-10/hour call center jobs. That's the politicans and cronies idea of "family sustaining" jobs for us peasant folk. And I'm sure they're getting all sorts of KOZs and tax breaks to bring more poverty-level jobs to town.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Well, I stand corrected...sounds like these will be pretty decent jobs. Medical review firm to move 100 jobs into W-B | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Medical_review_firm_to_move_100_jobs_into_W-B_04-07-2010.html - broken link)

Although as usual we have to bribe companies with KOZs and grants....that, to me, is not a good sign, that employers won't come here unless we bribe them with freebies.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Well, I stand corrected...sounds like these will be pretty decent jobs. Medical review firm to move 100 jobs into W-B | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Medical_review_firm_to_move_100_jobs_into_W-B_04-07-2010.html - broken link)

Although as usual we have to bribe companies with KOZs and grants....that, to me, is not a good sign, that employers won't come here unless we bribe them with freebies.
Thats standard practice everywhere. My Employer struck a deal with the state my office is n to build a new facility by 2015 that is going to rival Google's campus. All of which will be paid for mostly by the state and be exempt from taxes for a few years. In return we will grow our work for in this area by 20%. The avg salary is 100K.

It is the cost of doing business.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
"Governor Haircut" here in Virginia is also throwing loads of tax incentives to woo Northrop Grumman's new corporate headquarters to Arlington, and we're already, supposedly, the #1 state for business. I never understood why the people of PA thought tax incentives were something only their state did?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 11,948 times
Yes this is good news but most of these jobs will going to people with that have an RN and LPN with at least and or bachelor degrees and 5 year experience . Which is still very good because as highly educated people moving into there jobs other jobs open up so everyone wins .

population 25 years and over in Wilkes-Barre
Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.8%
Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syop_aust View Post
Yes this is good news but most of these jobs will going to people with that have an RN and LPN with at least and or bachelor degrees and 5 year experience . Which is still very good because as highly educated people moving into there jobs other jobs open up so everyone wins .

population 25 years and over in Wilkes-Barre
Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.8%
Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
I dont have the #'s in front of me.. how about people UNDER 25 with bachelors degrees??? THE FUTURE IS NOW (lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania