U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:24 PM

533 posts, read 1,001,224 times

Advertisements

Visiting Wilkes-Barre over the weekend in preparation for our move there soon, I noticed a lot of homes have satellite dishes even when cable is available. The realtor told me that for some people, they feel the cable prices are too high.
We are considering getting Service Electric for cable & internet by cable, and possibly home phone by cable (they quoted us $135/mo for all three, with 5Mb/s internet).
As an alternative, we could get Verizon home service and their "roadrunner?".
Is Verizon DSL as fast and as dependable/economical?
We already have Verizon cell phones.
Though my wife would probably not settle for it, I'm fine with broadcast TV, at least at first, and have a newer antenna. I saw this list (see the bottom):
List of television stations in Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do most people in W-B get all 8 of these stations, or are there problems with a few of them?
Thanks in advance.
Frank F.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM

169 posts, read 627,950 times
I dont live in that area but $135 is high for all 3 services. I have RCN and pay $91.44 before taxes that is with 10 mb internet.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 PM

41,816 posts, read 47,480,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Is Verizon DSL as fast and as dependable/economical?
DSL is usually "good enough" for most people but it's no comparison to cable. If all you're doing is surfing the web, email, youtube and nothing that needs a lot of bandwidth you should be good.

Quote:
Do most people in W-B get all 8 of these stations, or are there problems with a few of them?
Should get all but the one, some of them have multiple channles. PBS (listed as WVIA) has 3 channels. One is just kind of alternative schedule for PBS with less children shows and the other is "Create" which is like a DIY channel.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 14,914,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine92 View Post
I dont live in that area but $135 is high for all 3 services. I have RCN and pay $91.44 before taxes that is with 10 mb internet.
That's for digital cable with HD, phone, and internet? That's a steal. I'm still under a promotion from Comcast, and my total bill for all 3, with taxes and fees, is $160/month.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM

18,603 posts, read 15,877,083 times
frank754,
I just wanted to say that we just got rid of Verizon. Try communicating with that communications company! In January we tried to get their broadband for our internet service. They messed up our address and the modem never got to us. Trying to get information out of the company was like pulling teeth - between their robotic phone service, irritating operators (possibly talking to India?) and just not being able to reach anybody. We had that company for years - however; it is never too late to say enough is enough. The only thing any company, with poor performance understands; is loosing their customer.
Where we live; we turned to Blue Ridge Cable and have saved money on their package deals/promotions. We also like the fact that they answer the phone and we can talk with a human (that I can understand - my hearing is bad).
Before you get any service; try calling their number for technical support or billing questions. Tell them you are just testing and see what kind of response you get.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,998,049 times
I wouldn't pay for TV. All of the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) transmit in HD over the air. And most of the CATV content is available for free online, legally from the networks websites or hulu.com. There are ways of hooking up your computer to the living room TV, so that you can watch online programming in the comfort of your couch. If you get Verizon DSL, opt for the 3 Mbps plan, not the 768Kbps. Their service is good and reliable. The only downside is that their customer service suuuuuuuuuucks.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,998,049 times
Also, if you'll be in WB, then you're in luck. Most of the major networks transmitters are located in Mountain Top, so you'll enjoy very good reception with a roof antenna. And who knows, even rabbit ear antennas might work for you. Go to AntennaWeb and enter your address. That site will tell you what channels are available in your area and what kind of antenna you'll need.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 AM

41,816 posts, read 47,480,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
And who knows, even rabbit ear antennas might work for you.
We were getting good reception for all the stations in West Pittston which is about 8 miles away with regular antennae supplied with the TV. Reception in most of the Wyoming Valley should not be much of an issue. It's when you get out of the valley it will be a problem.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks, will most likely get cable internet & use the on-air channels in that case, at least until we decide whether or not to get cable TV. The hulu site was a great find, thanks Trucker7. We will probably stay away from Verizon. We both have cell phones, and could use something like Magic Jack for home phone, just for backup & emergencies, probably good enough. We already have an almost new roof TV antenna, that should definitely do the job

Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM

As a footnote for the "online" TV shows, I also found:
CastTV Video Search
Cast TV has a ton of good stuff too. Actually some are free and some are pay (or limited view time, like 74 mins then you have to wait 2 hrs), as they link to other sites, but usually the newest episodes are free and unlimited, just the older seasons seem to link to those pay or spam sites. Found some good episodes so far for several shows.
I have a CRT flat screen TV, but have a "box" that hooks into the VGA port of my laptop and the audio jack, and can play them through the TV using the CVI (composite video) mode. I got mine about 2 years ago from:
Sewell Direct - USB, FireWire, DVI, HDMI, Serial, Parallel, Adapters, Cables and More
but you have to choose as they have a lot of gear and try to figure out what's best for you.

I guess it's a lot easier with an LCD TV which can actually act like a monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>