U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 PM
 
1,305 posts, read 2,503,093 times
Reputation: 752

Advertisements

My observation is that most of the trouble that has happened here is from a few who come off as condescending, and somewhat egotistical... IMHO.. Many here like a spirited debate...and participated in them always without a problem.. then there are those who throw in the "I'm educated and your not" attitudes or the Tattletales who fashion themselves as self appointed sheriffs of the board... THAT is when the brown stuff started hitting the walls here, and the quick decline of posters participating. The few killed this board to the detriment of the many.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 PM
 
28,164 posts, read 23,999,136 times
Reputation: 16652
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
My question is why are people reporting people to the mods? I just see alot of disagreeing on here, but i honestly haven't seen anything that warrants a report to the mods, clue me in here

The few times that I did report to mods were for downright personal attacks. That's not cool, IMO. Not to mention, against the rules.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
 
Location: NEPA
2,009 posts, read 3,620,753 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The few times that I did report to mods were for downright personal attacks. That's not cool, IMO. Not to mention, against the rules.
I don't think anyone should attack anybody for not agreeing with them. A good argument is good, but no-one should be attacked for their beliefs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
 
28,164 posts, read 23,999,136 times
Reputation: 16652
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
My observation is that most of the trouble that has happened here is from a few who come off as condescending, and somewhat egotistical... IMHO.. Many here like a spirited debate...and participated in them always without a problem.. then there are those who throw in the "I'm educated and your not" attitudes or the Tattletales who fashion themselves as self appointed sheriffs of the board... THAT is when the brown stuff started hitting the walls here, and the quick decline of posters participating. The few killed this board to the detriment of the many.
I'm not a self-appointed sheriff. I'm a member of this online community that cares about the rules and believes they should be enforced. I am a member of this online community that feels personal attacks and free-for-all nastiness only serve to bring a board down.

In my honest opinion, I think you all have had it so easy in the past that when a mod is here who actually does her job it's a shock. TBT is just doing a VOLUNTEER job. I do not agree with everything she does, but she is here to enforce the rules.

YOU killed the board because YOU don't like being told what to do. YOU are the ones who can't hack disagreement and debate without attacking the person vs. the POV.

**YOU** is all of you that have such a problem with rules and TOS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 5,234,337 times
Reputation: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Guess what George? Hitting a report button doesn't always lead to mod action. That is up to the mod.

If we all REALLY cared about civil discourse on this board, then not a one of you would have such issues about following rules. I've read quite a few of the old threads from years past. What a disaster. Always the same ones jumping on people. Always the same ones saying nasty things. Why is THAT ok? But it's not ok to report for going against the rules?

I really, really, really cannot understand this POV at all. Like I said, I'm not surprised at the level of bullying and corruption in this area when reporting bad behavior is looked at as tattle taling, ruining a community, etc. It's f'ed up beyond belief. ::shaking head::
#1) I am not an idiot. I realize that "action" is up to the mod...you've just confirmed exactly what I wrote. Thank you.

#2) I am about as liberal & accepting a person as you'll ever meet. I also have a thick skin. Some people need to callous up their OWN skin & stop acting like a victim of impropriety at every corner!!! Cripes!! Seems if you fart out the left side of your butt instead of the right you're "offending" someone anymore & you're reported!!! (or off-topic...but I digress...)

#3) Because of this immature nit-picking & drama-queen melodramatics, this forum will NEVER be the same as it was, nor have the patronage that it did. It's just a shame.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM
 
28,164 posts, read 23,999,136 times
Reputation: 16652
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I don't think anyone should attack anybody for not agreeing with them. A good argument is good, but no-one should be attacked for their beliefs.

I agree. Conversely, I think many here have a convuluted idea of what constitutes personal attacks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 PM
 
28,164 posts, read 23,999,136 times
Reputation: 16652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
#1) I am not an idiot. I realize that "action" is up to the mod...you've just confirmed exactly what I wrote. Thank you.

#2) I am about as liberal & accepting a person as you'll ever meet. I also have a thick skin. Some people need to callous up their OWN skin & stop acting like a victim of impropriety at every corner!!! Cripes!! Seems if you fart out the left side of your butt instead of the right you're "offending" someone anymore & you're reported!!! (or off-topic...but I digress...)

#3) Because of this immature nit-picking & drama-queen melodramatics, this forum will NEVER be the same as it was, nor have the patronage that it did. It's just a shame.

1. Then don't blame the person doing the reporting.

2. Thick or thin skin has nothing to do with FOLLOWING THE RULES.

3. It is a shame. It's a damned shame that grown adults cannot follow simple rules and cannot handle any kind of authority without throwing hissy fits when threads are moved or deleted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM
 
1,305 posts, read 2,503,093 times
Reputation: 752
"In my honest opinion, I think you all have had it so easy in the past that when a mod is here who actually does her job it's a shock. TBT is just doing a VOLUNTEER job. I do not agree with everything she does, but she is here to enforce the rules."

And when so many had it so easy in the past this board THRIVED it was probably one of the most viewed and commented. Many participated, not everyone agreed, but in the end all got along....
it was lie a big family there were squabbles but when it was oveer it was over...

Why do you feel so self rightous to tell us who posted for a lon time without problems that WE have had it easy..I liken that to the newbie employee that starts telling others their jobs his first week there.

THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK, {DISCLAIMER BEFORE SOME ONE TELLS} It is simply my insight on what killed the forum..an opininon shared by many who have private messaged me over the last 6 months or so on this subject.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 5,234,337 times
Reputation: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
1. Then don't blame the person doing the reporting.

2. Thick or thin skin has nothing to do with FOLLOWING THE RULES.

3. It is a shame. It's a damned shame that grown adults cannot follow simple rules and cannot handle any kind of authority without throwing hissy fits when threads are moved or deleted.
I refuse to be drawn into this "beat the dead horse" vortex. I said my peace.

You have your views, I have mine. Who's right & who's wrong?? Who gives a crap?? The damage is done, (like the old Neil Young song), & it will never be the same.

Happy posting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Boston
905 posts, read 2,298,452 times
Reputation: 461
Don't know how I missed this earlier, but TBH the mods suck...

Post something they do not agree with, it gets deleted with no explanation or warning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top